I don't even know how to say this. I love you Pisces & Virgo

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:35 am
My boyfriend starts work very early in the morning. He woke me up and said, "It's really cold in the office. I don't know how to tell you this..." I said, "Did one of them die??!" "Yes... Aries is fine. The other doesn't look good." Virgo went during the night. I tried to save Pisces, she was so cold. She didn't make it to see the sunrise.

Our heater busted while I was at work. I didn't even think about it getting that cold because we also get residual heat from downstairs. I didn't even think. I'm such an idiot.

They were energetic as ever last night. cry the thing is, Aries seems just fine. Eating, drinking, running around on my bed right now. The only thing I can think of is that Pisces and Virgo were probably more meant to be feeders, and Aries was meant to be a hardy pet. Her previous owners got her from a breeder. Maybe they were weaker? They were also a year and a half. Did the death of one also have a negative effect on the other? They were litter mates. They were really affectionate with eachother.

God, they were such good rats. They have literally never bitten me. No interest in escaping. Rode my shoulder. Gave me kisses. Such lovely personalities. Very sweet, spunky when they wanted to be, both in their own way.

I'm going to spend my day off preparing their box. I still have one from when I first brought them home. I am going to crochet either a mini blanket or a sleeve to put them in. Paper towel just seems crude, not befitting of how great they were. I'm going to write them a letter. Then I'm going to bury them. And obviously, I need to figure out what I'm going to do for heat for Aries. Especially now that she doesn't have anyone to snuggle with.

I've let Aries see them. She doesn't seem to be very interested. She is alone now. If anyone reads this thread (I didn't really feel like posting it in the higher traffic forum), how long is okay to wait to get her a buddy? Just last week I was ogling the baby ratties we got in- I don't even want to think about them right now because I want mine. But I don't want to put grieving in front of her need for a buddy.

I'm going to upload pictures later when I get to an actual computer. RIP, Pisces and Virgo. You were great rats. cry  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:49 am
I think I'm going to fill a water bottle with warm water, wrap it in a towel, and put it in the cage when I put Aries back. Maybe it will help stimulate cage mates. She loved snuggling.

I'm also going to tear up some of our old towels so she can line her nest with something warmer. I'm considering buying a heating pad, but I'm seeing if it would be ok with her type of cage. I'm going to look into some other things too of the heater won't start working today.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Ananszi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:45 am
Celestial Fireflies
I think I'm going to fill a water bottle with warm water, wrap it in a towel, and put it in the cage when I put Aries back. Maybe it will help stimulate cage mates. She loved snuggling.

I'm also going to tear up some of our old towels so she can line her nest with something warmer. I'm considering buying a heating pad, but I'm seeing if it would be ok with her type of cage. I'm going to look into some other things too of the heater won't start working today.

I'm really sorry about what happened. :( I know how it is, and I'm sure all of us do.

They have some really cheap $10 heaters at Wal-Mart that you could pick up. They heat the whole room really well. I keep mine on at night because my mom likes the rest of the house cooler where I like it warmer.

It's similar to this one. (It's a Sunbeam)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Also: Don't blame yourself. Things happen. If you blame yourself, it'll just make things harder.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:29 am
awe I'm sorry sad just so you know, the water bottle idea is a good one, but the water will eventually cool off, if she has a box (like a tissue box or something like that) she should be ok with some bedding, they snuggle up well, and I wouldn't wait too long to get her a friend, depending on her age, you might want to get two babies, thats what we did with our rats, because its better that way, so the old rat can rest while the babies play, my girls Malinda and Matilda were I am pretty sure mill rats, and they only lived about a year and a half or a year and 3/4ths they don't live long I guess, I am not getting rats from petco anymore, bybs, shelters, or mom and pop petstores for me for rats (but I know a breeder, I just got back in touch with her after years)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 am
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Thank you guys, so much. sad I might look again for things like rescue rats and possibly breeders, but I think I remember I wasn't able to find any when I got Pisces and Virgo. They were all up around Seattle and that would have cost at least 100 in gas at the time (we didn't drive and the person who gave us rides charged at least 3x the gas she really used-- but that's a different story).

I know we have a rat at work that might be adopted out. She's an older rat with a head tilt, and we're still trying to figure out the cause because mites and inner ear infection have been ruled out by the vet. They think it might be neurological, I guess. She doesn't show signs of URI and is pretty friendly once she warms up to you. Next time I go into work, I'll take my break in there and see how we connect.

Also, Aries buried Pisces and Virgo in litter before I took them out, so I hope it's safe to say that she knows what happened and won't wonder where they've gone. And while I was walking out to the kitchen, I saw a bright orange box sitting in front of the window on the door. A relative brought over a space heater they weren't using. I wish I had this last night.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:51 am
Celestial Fireflies
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Thank you guys, so much. sad I might look again for things like rescue rats and possibly breeders, but I think I remember I wasn't able to find any when I got Pisces and Virgo. They were all up around Seattle and that would have cost at least 100 in gas at the time (we didn't drive and the person who gave us rides charged at least 3x the gas she really used-- but that's a different story).

I know we have a rat at work that might be adopted out. She's an older rat with a head tilt, and we're still trying to figure out the cause because mites and inner ear infection have been ruled out by the vet. They think it might be neurological, I guess. She doesn't show signs of URI and is pretty friendly once she warms up to you. Next time I go into work, I'll take my break in there and see how we connect.

Also, Aries buried Pisces and Virgo in litter before I took them out, so I hope it's safe to say that she knows what happened and won't wonder where they've gone. And while I was walking out to the kitchen, I saw a bright orange box sitting in front of the window on the door. A relative brought over a space heater they weren't using. I wish I had this last night.
yea, if all else fails, check on craigslist, that is where I got these two girls, (no shelters anywhere near me had any) but still be kind of picky about where you get them  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
yea, if all else fails, check on craigslist, that is where I got these two girls, (no shelters anywhere near me had any) but still be kind of picky about where you get them
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

I will definitely keep an eye out.

The hardest part was writing "goodbye" in my letter. I almost couldn't do it. I sat there and cried before I put the pen to the paper and finished my letter with, "goodbye and I love you both."

And by the way, I really appreciate your reply. I just read your other thread about Matilda. I'm so sorry that you've also lost your little buddy. sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm
Celestial Fireflies
Cowgirl-with-heart
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

I will definitely keep an eye out.

The hardest part was writing "goodbye" in my letter. I almost couldn't do it. I sat there and cried before I put the pen to the paper and finished my letter with, "goodbye and I love you both."

And by the way, I really appreciate your reply. I just read your other thread about Matilda. I'm so sorry that you've also lost your little buddy. sad
thanks, I felt so bad, I went to put her in the box she had to sleep in, and it turns out that she didn't have ANY toilet paper in there, I guess the babies must have stolen it, but that means she didn't have any for like a month, which makes me sad, but she went relatively fast, so that's good, I didn't even expect her to pass then, so it wasn't too long before she passed  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm
I'm so sorry to hear that :< Whenever any of my critters die they're always buried with a towel like a dish towel or a torn up baby blanket. My best suggestion would be to get 2 young rats soon, so that Aries isn't alone for very long. When It gets cold I would always run some paper towel through the shredder or some newspaper then fill a shoe box or other appropriately-sized box, and cut a hole for her to get in. It works wonders on keeping them warm.

This might sound stupid but if you do get two, may I suggest Libra and Taurus? They've always been my favorite signs.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:01 pm
I'm so sorry. sad Don't feel like an idiot; it's impossible to predict and plan for everything.  

Skeksis

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:01 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Thank you. It's definitely something I'll plan for in the future. sad

Today was a better day, but when I fed Aries, my heart hurt. I instinctively expected to see all three scrambling to the top, but it was just her. They used to go, "I must hoard ALL THE THINGS!!" then steal from each other's hiding spots. Aries hoarded about half of it and then it looks like she just gave up.

Oh, and then I noticed that there's a huge patch of missing bedding. Looks like she's stuffing her house full of it to make up for the lack of warmth from other rats. I work tomorrow, so I'll see about the tilted-head rat and the baby dumbos we have. But I still find myself thinking, "I don't want those rats, I want my rats."

Geeze, whose brilliant idea was it to get attached to creatures that only live for a few years? But I don't regret getting them; they were amazing little girls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 pm
Celestial Fireflies
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Thank you. It's definitely something I'll plan for in the future. sad

Today was a better day, but when I fed Aries, my heart hurt. I instinctively expected to see all three scrambling to the top, but it was just her. They used to go, "I must hoard ALL THE THINGS!!" then steal from each other's hiding spots. Aries hoarded about half of it and then it looks like she just gave up.

Oh, and then I noticed that there's a huge patch of missing bedding. Looks like she's stuffing her house full of it to make up for the lack of warmth from other rats. I work tomorrow, so I'll see about the tilted-head rat and the baby dumbos we have. But I still find myself thinking, "I don't want those rats, I want my rats."

Geeze, whose brilliant idea was it to get attached to creatures that only live for a few years? But I don't regret getting them; they were amazing little girls.
yea, its sad, I read something that is a beautiful reasoning for why rats only live a few years, and one day you will be able to love other ratties, it takes a special heart to love them, as you lose them so fast, but you still want more, not everyone can handle the losing part of the deal, to me, it gives you more time to love more babies, which granted, I am still in love with my first rat that I got nearly 20 years ago, some of them just stick with you
Quote:
One day, some angels went to God and asked if they might spend some time on Earth, to learn and perhaps to teach. He answered that some of the people might be frightened of the angels, that His children's idea of beauty might not be His own. The angels replied that maybe those who could look past the differences deserved the blessings that they could give. But God was still concerned. The angels needed Heaven's air to breathe; they would suffocate down on Earth. The angels promised to hold their breath as long as possible, and would return when they could not hold it anymore. God agreed and sent down the angels.Many people were frightened of these creatures, despised them, and tried to kill them in large numbers. However, the few who recognized the angelic qualities in the beings took them in and sheltered and fed them. In return, they received more joy and laughter then they could possibly imagine. But alas, soon the angels could hold their breath no longer. After just a short Earth time, they left to go back to Heaven. But they were sure to tell the next group of angels exactly who to seek out when they went down.~Author Unknown~

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
yea, its sad, I read something that is a beautiful reasoning for why rats only live a few years, and one day you will be able to love other ratties, it takes a special heart to love them, as you lose them so fast, but you still want more, not everyone can handle the losing part of the deal, to me, it gives you more time to love more babies, which granted, I am still in love with my first rat that I got nearly 20 years ago, some of them just stick with you
Quote:
One day, some angels went to God and asked if they might spend some time on Earth, to learn and perhaps to teach. He answered that some of the people might be frightened of the angels, that His children's idea of beauty might not be His own. The angels replied that maybe those who could look past the differences deserved the blessings that they could give. But God was still concerned. The angels needed Heaven's air to breathe; they would suffocate down on Earth. The angels promised to hold their breath as long as possible, and would return when they could not hold it anymore. God agreed and sent down the angels.Many people were frightened of these creatures, despised them, and tried to kill them in large numbers. However, the few who recognized the angelic qualities in the beings took them in and sheltered and fed them. In return, they received more joy and laughter then they could possibly imagine. But alas, soon the angels could hold their breath no longer. After just a short Earth time, they left to go back to Heaven. But they were sure to tell the next group of angels exactly who to seek out when they went down.~Author Unknown~

That is very true, very true indeed. I mean, some part of me is looking forward to discovering new personalities, new types of rats. I've always wanted a dumbo rat, for example, but I couldn't handle more than three at a time. As much as I miss my ratties right now, I do appreciate the opportunity now to love other rats.

That's a lovely quote. (:  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 am
Celestial Fireflies
Cowgirl-with-heart
Quote:

That is very true, very true indeed. I mean, some part of me is looking forward to discovering new personalities, new types of rats. I've always wanted a dumbo rat, for example, but I couldn't handle more than three at a time. As much as I miss my ratties right now, I do appreciate the opportunity now to love other rats.

That's a lovely quote. (:
yea, not too long after Malina died I got a couple dumbos (let me tell you 4 is harder to look after, but it is a lot of fun) and they are nutty little goobers, Bianca is always wanting tickles from me lol, and I thought it was too smile  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:37 am
I'm so sorry about your babies. You had no way of knowing it would get that cold and you will never know how much their health played a roll. Honestly a few morning it got really cold in my room and I was worried about my rats and they never seem to mind much. Some ideas I had were covering the cage with a blanket, to help slightly keep the warmth in the cage. lots of fleece bedding, they have an igloo that they snuggle up in, they have a fleece bed too and I gave them a fleece blanket to use with it. There's some hard plastic microwavable heaters that you can buy, cords would be dangerous and magic bags too if they eat the beads inside. Of course you can make your own magic bag with rice I think. Again, she might destroy it, at least it wouldn't be dangerous though.

I think it's really cute that she buried them. I never let Aida see her birth sister I was too scared to show her. I buried up in a box with a blanker and marked her grave with a stone engraved Hope.

As for how soon to get a buddy. I waited a week, and I would have liked to wait longer, but, Aida was really lonely. She seemed depressed and just wanted to snuggle with me all day, which was nice, but it wasn't her normal behavior. I still miss Hope, but I'm glad I got Blaze.  
Rainbow Bridge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games