Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Looking to join a 3.5e game Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ryunosuke Ryusei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:06 am
I'm willing to play in pretty much ant group or campaign level basically and just want to get into some dungeon crawling, dragon killing goodness. Although depending on the make up of the rest of the party, I may ask about using a Homebrew class...^^;

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:21 am
wahmbulance Bump wahmbulance

Ryunosuke Ryusei

Xun Ira

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 pm
Do to my ability to find games, being non existant. I am going to make one soon. It will be of pathfinder, though. If that doesn't bug you too much your free to join  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 pm
De mercy
Do to my ability to find games, being non existant. I am going to make one soon. It will be of pathfinder, though. If that doesn't bug you too much your free to join

um.....how does it differ from regular 3.5? or that a setting type like Ebberon?  

Ryunosuke Ryusei

Xun Ira

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm
it is a system based off of dnd 3.5's, though it has a few things done differently. mostly how character creation is set up and how one manages special attacks, ie; grapple, bullrush, overrun...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 pm
Why would you want to change something like that? It sounds more tedious than it's worth....  

Ryunosuke Ryusei

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 pm
Ryunosuke Ryusei
Why would you want to change something like that? It sounds more tedious than it's worth....

You know how 3.5 edition was an upgrade/update to 3.0 edition? Pathfinder is the resulting upgrade/update from 3.5.

Think of it as 3.75.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm
For what it's worth, I think it's a bold improvement on 3.5. also the rules are free

I also think 4e is a bold improvement on 3.5. the rules are not free.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Ryunosuke Ryusei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 pm
I was introduced into 3.5 rules so I don't know how it was changed from 3.5...as for 4th edition, I have a conspiracy theory that Gary was actually murdered by Wizards to push that through once he was out of the way because 3.5 was so in depth and already had so much going for it before they revamped everything...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 pm
The differences are mostly what De mercy said, the classes are retooled and things like special attacks got simplified. Some skills are combined as well, something 4e does even more of.

As for your theory, 4e was in development for quite some time before Gygax passed away. A number of the newer things in 3.5, such as Tome of Battle and the warlock class, show a number of the design theories used in making 4e.

Any game system will be in depth and have a lot of things going for them before a system upgrade, that's what happens when your product schedule mandates a new product every month. Books like PHB2 and Unearthed Arcana were good repositories of ideas on how to improve the system already.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Ryunosuke Ryusei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:17 pm
Arc Vembris
The differences are mostly what De mercy said, the classes are retooled and things like special attacks got simplified. Some skills are combined as well, something 4e does even more of.

As for your theory, 4e was in development for quite some time before Gygax passed away. A number of the newer things in 3.5, such as Tome of Battle and the warlock class, show a number of the design theories used in making 4e.

Any game system will be in depth and have a lot of things going for them before a system upgrade, that's what happens when your product schedule mandates a new product every month. Books like PHB2 and Unearthed Arcana were good repositories of ideas on how to improve the system already.

Tome of battle kicks a** and fighters will always suck.
xD

But I'm still fairly partial to my 3.5 ruleset because I learned the game in that edition, I know damn near every aspect of it like the back of my hand and my knowledge of how it works makes homebrewing so much easier.

I mean I understand the general basics of 4e enough to play that if I honestly can't find a 3.5e game, just trying to see if I can get a 3.5 for old times sake where I'm not the DM like in my other guild....^^;  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:27 pm
Fighters don't always suck in other systems.

Pathfinder isn't so different that you would be lost, it's definitely worth a lookthrough.

(IMO, Tome of Battle kicks a** for all the reasons that I prefer 4e)  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Ryunosuke Ryusei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:34 pm
Arc Vembris

Pathfinder isn't so different that you would be lost, it's definitely worth a lookthrough.

-shrugs- my biggest issues with 4e are pretty much:
1) they changed out the whole system that I would have to re-learn all over to fully understand half as well as I understand 3.5
2) they cap leveling <<
3) I'd rather start a game now over spending so many days reading the 4e books to fully understand the system changes.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:55 pm
Ryunosuke Ryusei
Arc Vembris

1) they changed out the whole system that I would have to re-learn all over to fully understand half as well as I understand 3.5
2) they cap leveling <<
3) I'd rather start a game now over spending so many days reading the 4e books to fully understand the system changes.

1)In a sense, they simplified the system, and the core of the game's the same. You don't have to relearn much, truth be told.

2)Cap leveling? D&D Core caps level to 20, 4th Edition goes all the way to THIRTY (30). If anything, they broadened the levels and options.

3)Fair enough, but I'm a firm believer of learning as you go.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Ryunosuke Ryusei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Ryunosuke Ryusei
Arc Vembris

2) they cap leveling <<

1)In a sense, they simplified the system, and the core of the game's the same. You don't have to relearn much, truth be told.

2)Cap leveling? D&D Core caps level to 20, 4th Edition goes all the way to THIRTY (30). If anything, they broadened the levels and options.

3)Fair enough, but I'm a firm believer of learning as you go.

does 4e have epic leveling?
that's what I thought.
xD
but yea, it mostly just wanted to jump into a game after i picked a race/class. =w=  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff