Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Build me a city! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:48 pm
Hi, guys! I'm seeing if anyone wants to help me with a TOP SECRET PROJECT I'm working on. As discussed in another thread a month or so ago, I'm going to see if I can get the entire guild to contribute to this.

Namely, I want locations within the city of Havendale. This is a modern game, so use modern-themed locations. There won't be any reward for doing so, and no one is required to do so - if not a single person contributes, I'll make as many locations on my own until my brain shrivels up. But, if you want to flex your creativity muscles, feel free to help out!

Havendale I plan on having be a "small" city, with a population probably just over 100,000. So, no skyscrapers. It can be industrialized some, though. Whatever you want!

I have two stipulations:

• PLEASE MAKE SERIOUS CONTRIBUTIONS.

All serious entries will be considered! Even duplicate businesses are fine (as is the case in real life, after all). But don't waste my time - if you give me something for the sole reason that you think it's 'lulzy', odds are it won't make it into Havendale.

• PLEASE MAKE ORIGINAL CONTRIBUTIONS.

Try to avoid giving me entries like, "McDonalds!" and "The Apple Store!" I want this to be a CREATIVE process. If you rip off this little mom-and-pop joint down the street from where you live in real life, odds are neither I nor anyone else will realize what you did. But what's the fun in copy/pasting something like this?

Let's make Havendale ours!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:59 pm
Sure, I'd help out.

What do you want it to look like, anything in particular, and any numbers and stuff etc.

Also, what time period, exactly?

Building code has differed quite a bit in the last 30-40 years.

And probably will just 10-20 years from now. ._.

Got any specific colors and stuff?  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:05 pm
Second paragraph - a modern city, with modern locations. But there can be buildings that were built more than the past couple years - some standing structures can even be over 100 years old!

I haven't decided on a state yet, though it will possibly be dependent on what features people give me via this thread. But it will be in the States.

Otherwise, I will be using people's contributions as a way to define the parameters of the city. The contributions might give me something entirely different than I originally intended - but I'm okay with that! Have fun with it, that's what is important.

What I'm hoping for is that, even if I don't use EVERY entry, some locations might be re-used by future GMs for their own modern games, perhaps in cities of different names.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:20 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Fremont troll has to happen.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 am
Rain Yupa
Second paragraph - a modern city, with modern locations. But there can be buildings that were built more than the past couple years - some standing structures can even be over 100 years old!

I haven't decided on a state yet, though it will possibly be dependent on what features people give me via this thread. But it will be in the States.

Otherwise, I will be using people's contributions as a way to define the parameters of the city. The contributions might give me something entirely different than I originally intended - but I'm okay with that! Have fun with it, that's what is important.

What I'm hoping for is that, even if I don't use EVERY entry, some locations might be re-used by future GMs for their own modern games, perhaps in cities of different names.

Mm-kay, so by modern, do you mean 2011?

Or like 1980's, or what. xp

But I think I got it.

What would the map be used for, for instance what type of D&D and would it be combat based etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 am
Modern, eh? I'll try and help out. Names aren't exactly my forte but oh well. Not sure if you were wanting this fantasy inspired or not...

Anyways, without further ado:

Finkelstein's Bank and Trust

That's all I got tonight. It's late.  

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

Norin Brightblade

Romantic Conversationalist

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 am
Dalegood's Renaissance Arms and Armor
Teaching the honorable fight since 1804

It is a small corner store that sells Both Renascence and ,due to popular demand, Victorian era clothing; with a beginnings of some steam-punk devices. In the back is a small sparring area. Some use it to try out blades, others to learn fencing and other sword play techniques.

And the one thing no small city would be without.

Big Al's Italian

This joint is built into a old mafia meeting hole, and some say it still is one. even though it is only known to locals, and the food is alright. The business has stayed open since Prohibition.

And finally

The Speakeasy

This place is what the name implies. Deep in a ally way is a little known bar/restaurant. All the employes wear poets puffy shirts, black pants, and Renascence masks. With each meal the employe tries to help you with worldly problems sometimes giving advice and others just handing you a godly meal. No to visits are ever alike and every time you visit a new mystery is reveled to you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:23 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

2011'ish. Can't get more modern than the present!

@ Norin: Thanks for the contributions!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 pm
Rain Yupa
Suicidesoldier#1

2011'ish. Can't get more modern than the present!

@ Norin: Thanks for the contributions!

Right .

So do you want it in a particular grid, such as squares or hexagons?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm
The Haven Highway, the main way in and out of the entire city before you hit the interstate and leave completely.

Hustlers & Hotties: An adult outlet shop on the far outskirts of town

Frankie's Fireworks: A small tent next door to H&H. It also happens to sell black market weaponry, but you didn't hear that from Frankie. Capiche?

The Havendale Convention Center: Easily the biggest structure of the main town, it's about 1000 square feet in it's central lobby, with numerous hallways leading away from the area to other dealer rooms and so forth. It has three different wings, four stories, and a versimilitude of function. Appearance varies by renting con.  

Epic Muffin Cannon

Dangerous Lunatic

3,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:37 pm
The underdark- the sewersz!

Petey's crabshack, where you can get craploads of crabs!

Rosco's Chicken and waffles

An ihop.

A denny's.

A half priced book store.

High school.

Community College

Amy Williams Elementary School

James Wood Elementary School

Those crappy apartment complexes  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 pm
The Vault - a brewpub housed in a former bank. The bank vault is still there and can be reserved for parties.  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Welcome to the Deadland Gameshack!
Themed to look like the tabletop game Deadlands, this gaming center is actually an old apartment building that was converted in 2008.
The Base floor, called the Time Machine, is where all the drinks, food, and gametime is purchased.
The Second Floor, is called the City of Gloom, after Deadland's name for Salt Lake City. This floor is made to look like there is a constant fog, and there are twelve rows of 16 computer terminals. The most popular game is a game called Vesper's Window, a MMORPG (A possibility for a Brainwashing Cult)
The Third Floor is known as the Battle Ground and is where they have around 60 consoles, with games beyond the normal gameshack's capabilities.
The Top Floor is called the Maze. No one but employees are allowed up here, and it's not clear why, because the employee lounge is downstairs in the Time Machine.
(You Like?)  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 pm
@ SuicideSoldier: Take a look at the contributions Norin Brightblade, Selvatico Cannon, Mackie the Knife, and Vampfighter1 gave me. Though some more than others, they fleshed out the place as more than simply a title. The best you gave me was "Petey's Crabshack", which I don't even know if it's an aquatic petstore, a fishing dock, a restaurant, or a whorehouse! You can get crabs from any of those places!

I PROBABLY won't be using any entries that aren't fleshed out, so something that actually is described and defined would be useful to me.

-----

@ Norin Brightblade, Selvatico Cannon, Mackie the Knife, and Vampfighter1 = Yes, I like everything you've given me so far. You all have been very helpful so far! Let's see what else we can come up with :3  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:16 pm
Rain Yupa
@ SuicideSoldier: Take a look at the contributions Norin Brightblade, Selvatico Cannon, Mackie the Knife, and Vampfighter1 gave me. Though some more than others, they fleshed out the place as more than simply a title. The best you gave me was "Petey's Crabshack", which I don't even know if it's an aquatic petstore, a fishing dock, a restaurant, or a whorehouse! You can get crabs from any of those places!

I PROBABLY won't be using any entries that aren't fleshed out, so something that actually is described and defined would be useful to me.

-----

@ Norin Brightblade, Selvatico Cannon, Mackie the Knife, and Vampfighter1 = Yes, I like everything you've given me so far. You all have been very helpful so far! Let's see what else we can come up with :3

lol, you don't say?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces