Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
DnD 3.5 Monster Races Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Anyone actually play them, without the express goal of being overpowered?

Also, how about odd races or things, such as awakened animals? Anyone thought of houseruling stats for them?

Post ideas, comments, and please, don't be a douche.

To start things off, Awakened Cat

str -7, dex +5, con +0, int +0, wis +2, cha +0

Size Tiny - +2 attack and ac, -8 grapple, +8 hide

skills - +4 climb, hide, move silently, +8 jump, balance
dex instead of str for climb and jump
In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8

Low-light Vision, Scent
Bite - 1d3
Claw(2) - 1d2

Speed 30

Must take all weapons as exotic, -10 to checks that require fine manipulation.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm
Savage Species has a rather compelling section regarding why you shouldn't play non-humanoid characters, largely in the lack of item compatibility and the potential for non-communication. Velociraptors may be able to open doors, but their ability to Open Locks is somewhat lacking.

What are you suggesting here? A Cat is a feat away from being Puss in Boots?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:52 pm
Awakened animals can speak.

This idea, basically came around as an idea of a spy-based rogue. That and the hilarious idea of some cat dropping onto someone's face from above and rending them apart with sneak attack damage. Especially if the DM gives a cat racial feat you can take that gives Pounce.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm
given their weakness, I enjoyed playing a polymorphed cat once. I had a psion (kinetic) character before hand so I didn't have much issue with manipulation of the world, and the dm was kind enough to have special items made for him, amulets and necklaces was collars, rings went onto the tail and bracers slid above the paws. And I took expanded knowledge to gain mind link. My only problem came from the deck of many things and drawing the death card.

It isn't in the matter of what one is lacking, it is a matter of how one can find ways around it. Given the chance I would play an awakened animal, or the like again.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm
Hell, I would totally play an awakened cat if the dm was willing to compromise such as SCN has stated. That would be epic, and a story is always in the telling with animals.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 am
Raganui Minamoto

Me~
I have 2 actually..well sorta.
my 1st is a Succubus made using the Savage Species race. So she starts off pretty weak...and even when she's maxed out at 12, she still is horridly under powered with around 50hp and a BaB of like 7...
She's more or less an RP char. I made for a higher level game, and a requiring NPC in a game I DMd for. Love to play her again~ but that's never gonna happen lol.

Second is a lich Cleric, who follows Evening Glory, and only became a lich so she could spend eternity together with her lover. Again a story driven RP char. as I really only play D&D for the RPing. Which sadly seems to be dead =x I think DMs now days just DM to be on power trips and tell everyone what to do...I remember when D&D used to be fun, imaginative and creative....now it just seems like all the DMs want to make your char. for you~ tell you how to play, where to go and what to do, because it's their 'job' as DM lol... *sighs, and stops herself from ranting on and on.* ^^'

Raganui Minamoto

This idea, basically came around as an idea of a spy-based rogue. That and the hilarious idea of some cat dropping onto someone's face from above and rending them apart with sneak attack damage. Especially if the DM gives a cat racial feat you can take that gives Pounce.

Why not just be a Tibbit, then you can be a human and a cat. ^^'  

Seiryna

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:50 am
Seiryna
Raganui Minamoto

Me~
I have 2 actually..well sorta.
my 1st is a Succubus made using the Savage Species race. So she starts off pretty weak...and even when she's maxed out at 12, she still is horridly under powered with around 50hp and a BaB of like 7...
She's more or less an RP char. I made for a higher level game, and a requiring NPC in a game I DMd for. Love to play her again~ but that's never gonna happen lol.

Second is a lich Cleric, who follows Evening Glory, and only became a lich so she could spend eternity together with her lover. Again a story driven RP char. as I really only play D&D for the RPing. Which sadly seems to be dead =x I think DMs now days just DM to be on power trips and tell everyone what to do...I remember when D&D used to be fun, imaginative and creative....now it just seems like all the DMs want to make your char. for you~ tell you how to play, where to go and what to do, because it's their 'job' as DM lol... *sighs, and stops herself from ranting on and on.* ^^'

Raganui Minamoto

Why not just be a Tibbit, then you can be a human and a cat. ^^'

Holy hell in a hand basket!! You sound like a ton of fun to play with :3. i prefer the aspect of DnD with rping more than the sake of telling someone what to do cause i'm the dm. I should totally make another game :3 and play an awakened cat as a dmpc :3  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am
Raganui Minamoto

Figuring most people int he world are 1st level commoners, you shouldn't need sneak attack to rend them apart...

Also, in an online game of 3.0, I played an Ogre named Ox. It was a midlevel game, but most of it for me was taken by Ogre hit dice, but I had a few levels of fighter. I used a harpoon as my weapon, with a rope tied around my forearm, to the weapon itself. I would harpoon enemies, reel them in, and THWUMP them!

I also enjoyed playing my low intelligence score. The only real memorable scene for me was when we were sailing downriver on a raft, and I think some Kuo-toa or something decided to board our vessel and attack us. There were only three of us, but one was a wizard, so Ox's obvious solution was to pick up the wizard, and hurl him as hard as he could to the shoreline, so he wouldn't be in danger!

... I rolled a natural 1 on my grapple check, and he got a natural 20. I had a massive size and strength bonus, and he had a strength PENALTY. But he won. So the first couple rounds of combat were the PC wizard and PC ogre fighter having a slapfest, rather than actually contributing to combat. When that's 2/3 of the entire party's fighting force, you can imagine how poorly that went for us.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 pm
InsaneKatKing475

Holy hell in a hand basket!! You sound like a ton of fun to play with :3. i prefer the aspect of DnD with rping more than the sake of telling someone what to do cause i'm the dm. I should totally make another game :3 and play an awakened cat as a dmpc :3

Lol that's what everyone says, until they actually try to DM for me, and realize they actually have to work and think. Tho I'm always willing to try~ but I only play 3.5 and over IMs or virtual table top programs. Play by posts games are just a failed sorry excuse for a game, and they ALWAYS die out fast lol, or it takes weeks/months for the chars to move 10 feet lol.

Also all my contact info is below in my sig. so feel free to contact me.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:13 pm
Seiryna
InsaneKatKing475

Lol that's what everyone says, until they actually try to DM for me, and realize they actually have to work and think. Tho I'm always willing to try~ but I only play 3.5 and over IMs or virtual table top programs. Play by posts games are just a failed sorry excuse for a game, and they ALWAYS die out fast lol, or it takes weeks/months for the chars to move 10 feet lol.

Mhmm, I understand that, and I can agree, post by post games can get dreadfully slow. So, yea, ims would work well, especially if the games are planned ahead of time (with some puppeting if need be) so, perhaps i'll make something up and send ye an email sometime :3  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:27 pm
InsaneKatKing475
Seiryna
InsaneKatKing475

Mhmm, I understand that, and I can agree, post by post games can get dreadfully slow. So, yea, ims would work well, especially if the games are planned ahead of time (with some puppeting if need be) so, perhaps i'll make something up and send ye an email sometime :3

I won't held my breath XD i've heard that so many times before lol XD  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm
Seiryna
InsaneKatKing475
Seiryna
InsaneKatKing475

I tend to follow through with what I say. all i need is an idea and several other thousands of people >.> <.< and we'd be set :3  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:30 pm
InsaneKatKing475
Seiryna
InsaneKatKing475
Seiryna
InsaneKatKing475

I tend to follow through with what I say. all i need is an idea and several other thousands of people >.> <.< and we'd be set :3

Psh parties are over rated~ they just screw stuff up anyways, then complain when you let them die because of their own stupidity >.>'  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 pm
Seiryna
Psh parties are over rated~ they just screw stuff up anyways, then complain when you let them die because of their own stupidity >.>'

Not me, i know when I die of my own stupidity. and I don't blame anyone for that aside from myself. only thing is, i think it gets kinda boring doing a single adventurer dnd thing. i did it once, wasn't as fun as having a couple of others.  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm
InsaneKatKing475
Seiryna

Not me, i know when I die of my own stupidity. and I don't blame anyone for that aside from myself. only thing is, i think it gets kinda boring doing a single adventurer dnd thing. i did it once, wasn't as fun as having a couple of others.

it depends on the DM/player lol. my longest game was basically a solo game. and lasted like 3 months lol.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff