Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
The Silver Spire (3.5e) (Accepting applications now!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:13 am
For as long as the scribes have written history, The Silver Spire has stood in the ring made by the Mansrich Mountains. The Spire was a mystery to all who beheld it; impenetrable from any position, shimmering pale silver in moonlight, gleaming bright in he sun. Miles high, it seemed to scrape the heavens themselves; six well fitted towers surrounding a central shaft that pushes beyond sight compose the spire itself. Scholars have debated it's history and origins as often as he arch mages and high priests have tried to penetrate it's barriers, yet nothing has seemed to pierce into the heart of the Spire.

Outside of the tower, the earth itself thrums with retained power, faint even at the closest to the Spire itself; though through this magical power (detected as Universal when detect magic or similar spells are directed at it) vast amounts of precious metals have been found near the base of the tower. The air around it fairly tingles with magical power, and though there are walkways around each level, unbreakable walls of force block any attempts made to enter the structure, though openings in the catwalks can be seen from outside. The Spire's mystery has attracted many to the base, a small camp of scholars, mages and clerics seeking to learn more of the spire's purposes and history. The mystery of the spire has even spawned a small group of fanatical worshippers, who believe the Spire is a remnant of an ancient god's kingdom from before recorded history, who worship it in the hopes that in remembrance, their elder god may come back to them.

Through missteps of a deliberate or accidental nature, our heroes find themselves lost within an extensive catacomb running throughout the Spire, and must find their way out, if there is a way out at all. Through their explorations of the spire's interior, they will find a city in it's core: Erodil, the City of the Spire; the mysterious central shaft will be revealed in it's entire glory; and the possibility of escape grows ever slim as explorations reveal adventurers who have met the same fate, and worse: death within the darkened corridors, starved and lost until the passage of life to death takes them from the tower at last.

Will you be the first to breach the barriers between the spire and the rest of the world? Will you escape your fate, to not be lost to the unknown? Only your skills and knowledge will help you out of these empty passages to escape from...

The Silver Spire.

Yes, I totally worded it that way. don't judge me. If I don't make it sound interesting, no one will ever want anything to do with it.

This adventure I have in mind is the kind that starts at AT LEAST 5th level. 6th-7th is recommended unless you've got some kind off wicked sick-nasty level adjustment to contend with. If enough people are interested, I will get a hold of some references later and give a list of acceptable races. I accept any alignment, but I prefer a compatible group, generally hovering around a common ground.

So yeah. Tell me what you think? If you're interested in joining, too.

It seems as though plenty are interested in the campaign itself. So, here we go:

You may choose any race from this page that have no racial hit die and an LA of +1 or +0, and is appropriate for a campaign that takes place both "above ground" in an urban environment and "underground" in the passages of the tower. (as a side note I would prefer you to take races listed in the core and common supplements (MM2, MM3, MotP, and either BoED or BoVD)

Any base class in acceptable excluding custom made classes. However, alterations can be made to existing classes to meet your desires. Prestige classes gained later on can be ANY class so long as it meets approval from myself. Home brew prestige classes acceptable when we come to it.

All characters must be either level 5 or 6 with an ECL of 6 with appropriate equipment (13000 gp + class starting gold) and no more than 1/4 of that total value in one item. (meaning, no single item worth more than 4250 gp)

As a note, for items/weapons, renaissance firearms are acceptable, following the basic rules in the variant section of the DMG save for the following changes: pistol damage is changed to 2d4, and musket damage is 2d6.

The application here is to be PMed to me whenever. I will include a list here of applications so you can see who is what. Technically, this as much a character sheet as it is an application, so MAKE SURE you have your character ready when you apply.

For Ability Scores, use a custom array "High Elite": 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16
For HP: Max HP at first level, roll twice and take the higher at each level.
This is a moderately high powered campaign, and I want you to have a good chance of survival.

[b]Username: [/b]
[b]Character Name: [/b]
[b]Race/Class: [/b]
[b]Alignment: [/b]
[b]Size and Type: [/b]
[b]Hit Dice:[/b] #d#+# (# hp)
[b]Initiative: [/b]+#
[b]Speed: [/b]## ft. (# squares)
[b]Armor Class: [/b]## (), touch #, flat-footed #
[b]Base Attack/Grapple: [/b]+#/+#
[b]Full Attack: [/b]
[b]Space/Reach: [/b]# ft./# ft.
[b]Special Attacks: [/b]
[b]Special Qualities: [/b]
[b]Saves: [/b]Fort +#, Ref +#, Will +#
[b]Abilities:[/b] Str #, Dex #, Con #, Int #, Wis #, Cha #
[b]Skills: [/b]
[b]Feats: [/b]
[b]Possessions: [/b]
[b]Backstory/History: [/b]

UNDERSTAND THIS:
I will take a week or two to even begin this, since this is a new idea and I don't have many NPCs or maps set up yet. Give me time, give me your patience, and you will be rewarded.

Please don't yell at me for being slow, since this is your warning.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 am
The premise sounds interesting enough, but I have one question; why are the heroes in the spire? Yes, you explained that they managed to get themselves there, but what is their purpose for being inside?  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 am
Dion Necurat
The premise sounds interesting enough, but I have one question; why are the heroes in the spire? Yes, you explained that they managed to get themselves there, but what is their purpose for being inside?

They end up inside as more of a punishment or accident, rather than actually actively trying to enter it. The reason is the DM's (mine) alone to determine. I actually have a very good idea that ties in with an existing PC of mine, whom I will use as an NPC in this run. Cameos that no one get, ahhhhh, the good life.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 am
Oral Steering Wheel
Dion Necurat

They end up inside as more of a punishment or accident, rather than actually actively trying to enter it. The reason is the DM's (mine) alone to determine. I actually have a very good idea that ties in with an existing PC of mine, whom I will use as an NPC in this run. Cameos that no one get, ahhhhh, the good life.

Well, the reason I ask is mostly due to character synergy with the campaign. I'd rather not run a Wizard if the game is heavily influenced on the divine, for instance. I mean sure, it would be interesting, but...well, you know how well the arcane and the divine get along.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 am
Dion Necurat
Well, the reason I ask is mostly due to character synergy with the campaign. I'd rather not run a Wizard if the game is heavily influenced on the divine, for instance. I mean sure, it would be interesting, but...well, you know how well the arcane and the divine get along.

Any campaigns I run have an equal balance between arcane and divine, since technically both have the same influence despite coming from different sources. I find it distasteful to have an imbalance between arcane and divine mainly due to the fact that as I said, both have equal importance, and without divine, you couldn't have healers and undead controlling psychopaths, gods take on a far lesser role, and things can suddenly be in far worse condition than normal; however, without arcane spellcasters end up with a weak reputation and a good portion of good weapons and magic items suddenly vanish, and monsters whose sole weakness comes from certain kinds of magic are now much more dangerous. That's my stance on it at least.

The short version is, there is a balance between arcane and divine, and any character type can work in this campaign.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:13 am
Well I for one am very interested just because it somewhat makes me think of some other stories that have somewhat similar concepts. Not entirely sure what I would play, but I'm interested nonetheless...  

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 am
Yurro
Well I for one am very interested just because it somewhat makes me think of some other stories that have somewhat similar concepts. Not entirely sure what I would play, but I'm interested nonetheless...

Anything at all. In fact, our "heroes" don't even need know each other from the start, so it's really okay to do whatever.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 am
Mine own mind has been peaked my this campaign. That and Im currently looking for a 3.5e  

Norin Brightblade

Romantic Conversationalist

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 am
Norin Brightblade
Mine own mind has been peaked my this campaign. That and Im currently looking for a 3.5e

Good to hear, O' dwarven bad-a**. I'm happy this is getting good responses.

I'm thinking if I get a good enough response, mainly because I won't be around toooo much, I might have to hire up a DMA to run things while I'm gone. Blegh. x.x  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:33 am
Oral Steering Wheel
Norin Brightblade

I won't be around toooo much, I might have to hire up a DMA to run things while I'm gone. Blegh. x.x

I hate to hear that man. And Dwarfs are bad A$$ in there own right. You can just do so much with them.  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:37 am
Norin Brightblade
Oral Steering Wheel
Norin Brightblade

I won't be around toooo much, I might have to hire up a DMA to run things while I'm gone. Blegh. x.x

I hate to hear that man. And Dwarfs are bad A$$ in there own right. You can just do so much with them.

Especially dwarven monks. Those guys are terrifying. A fist the size of an orc's head mashing your face in. Running like a cheetah on legs too short for it.

But as for the DMA thing I've done it before in cases where I've actually wanted to stop DMing and start playing instead. It works well if you brief the replacement thoroughly. And it's fun to see how someone else will take something you made through.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 am
Oral Steering Wheel
Anything at all. In fact, our "heroes" don't even need know each other from the start, so it's really okay to do whatever.

Sadly my typical problem isn't the restrictions a Dm might impose on a game, but rather what I can or can't think of. Sometimes I will come up with 20 different builds/character ideas, other times I come up with 2. I'll more then likely wait to see what others come up with so I can fill in holes anyways but thats how the dice roll sometimes.

Oral Steering Wheel
But as for the DMA thing I've done it before in cases where I've actually wanted to stop DMing and start playing instead. It works well if you brief the replacement thoroughly. And it's fun to see how someone else will take something you made through.

Agreed, I did this once for a gestalt game and internet failed on me during the game. Luckily me and the DMA discussed enough that they got through the first hurdle and onto entering the dungeon in such a fashion that made me feel bad I wasn't there to help. But then I jumped back in and we had fun till the game came to an end due to lack of interest/life taking over.  

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:48 am
Yurro
Oral Steering Wheel

Sadly my typical problem isn't the restrictions a Dm might impose on a game, but rather what I can or can't think of. Sometimes I will come up with 20 different builds/character ideas, other times I come up with 2. I'll more then likely wait to see what others come up with so I can fill in holes anyways but thats how the dice roll sometimes.

Well, I can tell you that if I get less than five people, I will run a PNPC to help the players. if I do that though, it WILL have to be indirect support like a ranger or monk, rather than being a fore-front player. That way the players still get all the glory, even if they had help.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 am
Oral Steering Wheel
Norin Brightblade
Oral Steering Wheel
Norin Brightblade

Especially dwarven monks. Those guys are terrifying. A fist the size of an orc's head mashing your face in. Running like a cheetah on legs too short for it.

I have always enjoyed dwarven spell casters. Just because no one and I mean no one expects to turn toward a dwarf and see a fireball flying at there face.  

Norin Brightblade

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200

Whiskey Sunshine

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 am
Norin Brightblade
I have always enjoyed dwarven spell casters. Just because no one and I mean no one expects to turn toward a dwarf and see a fireball flying at there face.

You cannot deny Beardfist Fistbeard, the dwarven monk, who is rumoured to have a third fist hidden in his beard. His main form of kicking a** is head butts.
(this is a real character I have. Mainly as a joke)
But I digress. More on the idea? Anything else?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff