PlayStation Vita + Sony News for TGS! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm
Sony held an event in Japan yesterday (or early morning). The event detailed some interesting new info on games for both the PS3 and upcoming Vita.

• Sony is thinking of a way for UMD games to be played on the Vita
  • Vita will launch in Japan on December 17th
  • MGS and ZoE HD Collections will be coming to the Vita
  • Final Fantasy X will also be getting an HD make over for both the Vita and PS3.
  • MvC3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Katamari Damacy will be coming to the Vita
  • More info on the Vita's battery. The Vita is capable of 3 to 5 hours of gaming, 5 hours of video playback, and 9 hours of music playback (in standby mode). The Vita comes equipped with a 2,200 mAh battery.

To refresh these are the specs of the Vita:

OLED screen
ARM Cortex-A9 quad-core processor,
SGX543MP4 + GPU with 128MB of dedicated VRAM,
512MB of RAM
front and rear cameras
microphone
accelerometer
gyro-sensor
GPS
Wi-Fi

There will also be a 3G model available as well. The Vita is priced at $249 and $299 for the 3G model. US/Europe released are unknown at this time.

Battery info found at: CNET and other info over at KOTAKU.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:15 pm
I hope that Sony does get a way to bring my UMD's to the Vita, that would rock!! Concidering I wouild love to bring my FF games over.

I am surprised that FF X is getting an HD upgrade but I suspose it would not require much, thing is, did not like FF X at all really, something about it felt wrong.

I dunno about you guys but FF XII getting an HD update would make more sense, although it had HD capability, I found that atleast, on the PS3, its not all that good.  

Si-Shen
Vice Captain

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:14 pm
Si-Shen
I hope that Sony does get a way to bring my UMD's to the Vita, that would rock!! Concidering I wouild love to bring my FF games over.

I am surprised that FF X is getting an HD upgrade but I suspose it would not require much, thing is, did not like FF X at all really, something about it felt wrong.

I dunno about you guys but FF XII getting an HD update would make more sense, although it had HD capability, I found that atleast, on the PS3, its not all that good.

The UMD is just a thought from what I read. They're thinking about it, but there is nothing set in stone. Honestly, I don't know how they'd do it outside of a trade in program. Even at that not all PSP UMD games are digital.

It may be interesting if they could turn a PSP into a UMD reader and have it stream from the PS3/4 to the Vita. Or something like that. Maybe a Remote play thing?

FFX is getting the HD update cause it turned 10 this year. That seems to be the motivation for it anyways.

FF12 did not have HD visuals. It has 480p or Enhanced Definition (ED). The PS3 just up scales the games, and if I'm not mistaken you have to be careful.

Some games offer the Progressive Scan feature, and you have to make sure you don't turn it on. Cause it ends up over riding or doing something to the PS3s upscaler.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 pm
Sailorcancer2004
Si-Shen

The UMD is just a thought from what I read. They're thinking about it, but there is nothing set in stone. Honestly, I don't know how they'd do it outside of a trade in program. Even at that not all PSP UMD games are digital.

It may be interesting if they could turn a PSP into a UMD reader and have it stream from the PS3/4 to the Vita. Or something like that. Maybe a Remote play thing?

FFX is getting the HD update cause it turned 10 this year. That seems to be the motivation for it anyways.

FF12 did not have HD visuals. It has 480p or Enhanced Definition (ED). The PS3 just up scales the games, and if I'm not mistaken you have to be careful.

Some games offer the Progressive Scan feature, and you have to make sure you don't turn it on. Cause it ends up over riding or doing something to the PS3s upscaler.

Somehow allowing a transfer would be great so I would not have to carry 2 systems for one game LOL

X just was not that good, it was lacking.
XII does not look so great on a HDTV I find...  

Si-Shen
Vice Captain

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:47 pm
Vita Packaging:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1109/game110914h.shtml  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:55 pm
More info about the Vita from Yoshio Matsumoto!

• PS Vita was developed with multi-tasking in mind, applications can run simultaneously in the background with a running game, such as Twitter, Near and the web browser
  • The web browser is based on Webkit, but Flash support cannot be confirmed at the moment
  • PS Vita can be used as a remote play device, such as playback videos from a PS3
  • PS Vita's Near app can be turned on and off, you get to choose whether to share your current region location with other players
  • PS Vita uses an exclusive Memory Card for storage, it can store game downloads, music or movies you purchase from PSN
  • The reason for the exclusive Memory Card format is security concerns
  • PS Vita games can allocate space on the game cards itself for game saves
  • PS Vita has built-in tools to transfer data between PC and PS3

Some good and some bad.

Multitasking is good and understandable thanks to the 512MB of RAM on the system. The webkit browser is also a HUGE plus. This is the browser of choice for smart phones and I believe every platform uses it. Android, iOS, Blackberry, and WebOS (RIP). It's an amazing brower and if flash can be played (don't see why not) it's going to be killer! Remote play is also another plus. This is essentially what the Wii U does. PSP (to an extent) could do it, but with Vita's increased power. It should be able to do it smoothly.

The proprietary memory cards bugs the hell out of me. If it's something like memory stick I can somewhat live with it cause you can get it cheaply. But if it's some Vita only deal. SUCKS! Why? Cause Sony will jack the price up. It won't be properly prices alongside other memory cards (like SD types).

While it seems less and less I'm still holding out for a MicroHDMI port for mirroring. I'm still ticked at the proprietary data port.  

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

Si-Shen
Vice Captain

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 pm
The game case looks very much like the PS3 case, which is nice, and I never minded the custom memory cards, after all, Nintendo still does it and no one complains. Besides, they are on cards now and thats all that matters!

The box for the system looks nice, simple and clean, gotta love that compared to so many over crowded things!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 am
Nintendo adopted SD cards a while ago. The Wii had it, followed by the DSi, and the 3DS uses it.

I'm not understanding the blue tint to the cases. Kinda reminds me of blu ray cases.

In other vita news. Sony is working on a 5000mah battery for the vita. That is going to be one HUGE battery. This also confirms a removeable battery.  

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

Si-Shen
Vice Captain

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Sailorcancer2004
Nintendo adopted SD cards a while ago. The Wii had it, followed by the DSi, and the 3DS uses it.

I'm not understanding the blue tint to the cases. Kinda reminds me of blu ray cases.

In other vita news. Sony is working on a 5000mah battery for the vita. That is going to be one HUGE battery. This also confirms a removeable battery.

Nintendo allowed for SD cards however there games were still shipping on their own format, atleast for DS games. They merely allow the SD card as extra storage and Sony has their own mem cards to make use of for that.

Nice, always good to have extra battery power, I know I got the larger for the PSP.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:50 am
Si-Shen
Sailorcancer2004

Nintendo allowed for SD cards however there games were still shipping on their own format, atleast for DS games. They merely allow the SD card as extra storage and Sony has their own mem cards to make use of for that.

Nice, always good to have extra battery power, I know I got the larger for the PSP.

I'm talking about media cards not game cards. The media cards are a Vita only thing. It's not Sony's Memory Sticks. In fact Sony is ditching that format anyways. For the past few years both Sony's camera/camcorders/cell phones have been taking SD cards. I think the Camera/camcorders still allow for memory sticks as another option, but they've switched to SD card.

The issue with doing something like this is price. Since it's specific to the Vita (nothing else can use it) Sony can jack the price up. The prices for the media cards in Japan is as followed:

• 4GB - 2200 yen ($28.63)
  • 8GB - 3200 yen ($41.64)
  • 16GB - 5500 yen ($71.57)
  • 32GB - 9500 yen ($123.63)

I forgot if I said this, but the Vita will be region free! Which is another great thing!  

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

Si-Shen
Vice Captain

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:56 pm
Sailorcancer2004
Si-Shen
Sailorcancer2004

I'm talking about media cards not game cards. The media cards are a Vita only thing. It's not Sony's Memory Sticks. In fact Sony is ditching that format anyways. For the past few years both Sony's camera/camcorders/cell phones have been taking SD cards. I think the Camera/camcorders still allow for memory sticks as another option, but they've switched to SD card.

The issue with doing something like this is price. Since it's specific to the Vita (nothing else can use it) Sony can jack the price up. The prices for the media cards in Japan is as followed:

I forgot if I said this, but the Vita will be region free! Which is another great thing!
Well its something we will have to suffer with.

The region free part is great, I suspect that more and more they are looking to see the world as one instead of several smaller groups.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:43 pm
Si-Shen
Sailorcancer2004
Si-Shen
Sailorcancer2004

Well its something we will have to suffer with.

The region free part is great, I suspect that more and more they are looking to see the world as one instead of several smaller groups.

I still wish there was standardization. I just hate having extra stuff that only works for one product. Memory sticks weren't bad cause I had a Sony Camera. Plus, if something needs replacement I can grab a cable or memory card super cheap. It's just a peeve I have.

I think they're doing it for the fans. As we've seen with the Wii there are tons of games coming out that NoA has no intention on bringing over.

It's such a PITA.  

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

Si-Shen
Vice Captain

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm
It's such a Pita? eek

I know that some Japanese titles actually come with english subs, concidering that I am big into Anime and watch it all with subs, its not hard to keep up for me. I would love to get my hands on some of the games that never make it over here.

As for the non-standard memory, maybe its in hopes of avoiding cracks and what not, course that only holds up till someone sets up a reader and such.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm
Si-Shen
It's such a Pita? eek

I know that some Japanese titles actually come with english subs, concidering that I am big into Anime and watch it all with subs, its not hard to keep up for me. I would love to get my hands on some of the games that never make it over here.

As for the non-standard memory, maybe its in hopes of avoiding cracks and what not, course that only holds up till someone sets up a reader and such.

OH I see what you did there!

Sometimes it does and sometimes it gets released in Europe and gets subbed!

I think it's cause of all the piracy in the PSP.  

Sailorcancer2004
Captain

jaggedbubbles

Assimilated Borg

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 pm
Those are ridiculous prices for the proprietary memory cards. I don't follow handheld development that closely (I'm more into cellphones, myself), but that is already a deal breaker. Even the 3DS has an SD card slot to go with its proprietary DS cartridges.  
The Sony Playstation Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff