Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D 4e: Secrets of Lidea~~~~~~~~[FILLED] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ziekara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:45 pm
[ Character Sheets ]

[ Premise/Foreword ]A long-term campaign where you will travel all over a mysterious country, delving deep into it's history and secrets.

[ Setting Information/Background ]
The country of Lidea is an ancient and mysterious land. Religion is law in Lidea, and clergy and politicians are one in the same. The country is ruled by a council of high priests who supposedly receive all the laws and mandates straight from the Lidean god himself. However, despite the heavily influence of religion, unlike the rest of the world, Lidea swears no allegiance to the typical pantheon of Gods such as Pelor, Bahamut, etc. Instead, they worship a single God known as Kadir, creator and protector of the Lidean people. It is said that Kadir once walked among the Lidean people, and although no evidence exists that he truly lived amongst the mortals of the land, his influence has forever shaped the nature of the country.

Although magical abilities are highly treasured, the teachings of Kadir prohibit magic use of any kind, except in direct use to the church. Any children showing signs of magical abilities are immediately shipped off to the capitol city of Childarin to train their abilities to serve in the clergy. The men and women of the clergy are looked upon as chosen servants of Kadir, and are considered above mortal men. Meanwhile, those magic users who escape the life of the clergy and practice magic in secret are considered heretics for abandoning their duty to God and are considered criminals against Kadir-a sentence which requires death.

Roughly 1,000 years ago, after centuries of waring, the country of Lidea was closed off from the rest of the world. A large, magical barrier was erected surrounding the entire country and it's outlying islands, as prescribed by the high priests. They believed that Lideans were blessed by Kadir, and outsiders would only defile the holy land and corrupt it's people. For centuries, Lidea and it's people have been barred away from the rest of the world....until now.

[ Game Introduction/Plot ]
For reasons unknown, the barriers have fallen around Lidea, and adventurers, merchants, scholars and anyone else who has interest has begun flooding the country. To the surprise of many, the Lidean people, including the clergy have seemed to welcome the outsiders with open no signs of hostility, although no one seems to talk about the reason for the barrier's fall. What opened up the country after so many centuries in seclusion? What made the Lidean people welcome outsiders after years of killing and finally seclusion in the name of their God? Who is this God anyway, and why has he made such stringent demands on the people of Lidea?

Adventurers, you are about to begin the journey to answer these questions and more, and discover the secrets of Lidea.

[ Character Creation ]

Available Sources: Any D&D 4.0 books, essentials books, or dragon magazine. As long as it's official, I'm not picky.
Banned Resources: Anything non-official. Otherwise, nothing.

ECL: 1
Gold: standard
Races:Any, though please note the background info for how race selection may alter other's reactions of your character
Ability Scores:
Standard point-buy preferred (you may roll dice, but rolls must be done in the forums, and no re-rolls accepted. Thus, I highly recommend you do point-buy)
Alignments: No Chaotic Evil
Backgrounds: Character backgrounds preferred. I will try and work your history into the story if I can. Also, as an incentive, you will be given up to two background bonuses (as prescribed by WoTC) based on the story you give me, OR with my permission you may pick up to 2 of your own, so long as your story explains why you have them.

[ House/Optional Rules ]

please keep these story setting related things in mind:

• Player Characters may chose any race/class/alignment they like, with ANY country of origin.

• The land of Lideas is mainly made up of the common races such as humans, eladrin, dwarves, halfings, and some elves who have gone against their natural affinity for nature. Small pockets of other races exsist, but may be looked at as outsiders, or considered unusual. This should not prohibit you from playing them in any way however.

• Magic users of all kinds are accepted, as the laws of Kadir apply only to Lidaen people. If you plan on playing a character originating from Ladea, keep in mind that if you are magic user not part of the clergy, your magic must be kept a secret at all times, as you are would be put to death if discovered.

• PCs may make Lidean clergy members if they like, however they are banned from making high ranking clergy members (sorry, but you can't rule the country xp )

This is my first campaign DMing so more may be added if situation dictates.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 pm
iiiineteresting....what is the dogma of Kadir? or the pit an easier question, does he/she/it share similar views a/o ways of worship as another diety D&D or otherwise?

EDIT: also, does 'magical talent' also apply to psionics, and primal magics (druids, shamans, etc.)?  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 pm
must play.... think on character... more thought, after questions get answered  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 pm
Between Fantastic Realities, Shot in the Dark, and The Island Kingdoms of Dara' Stania basically at a stand still due to both DMs being scarce and not DMing, I will throw my lot into this.

However, as per my normal tendencies, I will relinquish my position once all the slots are filled up to make way for a newer guild member to join this game.

Incoming Deva Bard.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:39 pm
Put me down as a maybe too. It sounds like an interesting story, and I'd love to be in it, but I don't want to over-extend my playing.

EDIT: Scratch that. Count me in.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:55 pm
Sure, I'd play.

I love 4E.

As far as tanks go...

I call dibs on a dragon paladin. ninja  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 pm
Shaka, when the walls fell.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:06 am
Sounds like a great game for my deva vampire. Or a necromancer  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Ziekara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 am
Vorastrix
iiiineteresting....what is the dogma of Kadir? or the pit an easier question, does he/she/it share similar views a/o ways of worship as another diety D&D or otherwise?

I will better answer this question with specifics when I have more time (since I'm about to head out for school at the moment), but here is how i think of it. Using the D&D guidelines, I would classify him as an unaligned god of creation. His primary commands for his followers are that every person must follow Kadir and Kadir only, and must follow his edicts without question (these are said to be channeled by the high-priests of the country, directly from Kair himself). Furthermore, the mythos has it that Kadir created the land of Lidea, and blessed all it's people, therefore, it is the duty of the lidean people to serve Kadir, and to keep the country pure.

Here is how I like to think of it in terms of real world dieties. If the normal D&D pantheon were like the greeks or Romans, where all the gods were well known, and people followed different gods for different reasons, then Kadir would be like the Christian god. The beliefs and dogma do not match, and don't allow for believers of other gods. Exept, Lidea has no wish to convert the world, but rather keep the country "pure", as the dogma states that Kadir blessed the country of Lidea, and Lidea alone.

I hope that answers your question thoroughly enough for now xp

Quote:

EDIT: also, does 'magical talent' also apply to psionics, and primal magics (druids, shamans, etc.)?

Yes, it applies to all magics, learned or hereditary. So, divine magic users would obviously work in direct service to the church, other magic users such as primal or arcane might work as military, using their magic to defend the country, or in any number of other positions (research, teaching, information gathering....who knows). Regardless of where one works though, they would all report to the church as the head authority, and use their powers only in the ways prescribed by the religious leaders.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 am
....even though I know I shouldn't be doing another game, reserve a spot for me....first arcane char ever for me, coming up! XD  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 am
I wouldnt mind joining as well.
This will be campaign 2 for me...
mind reserving a spot?
if not that's okay. I'll start writting up my Character  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 am
Snuff that Muffin
This will be campaign 2 for me...
mind reserving a spot?
if not that's okay. I'll start writting up my Character

Any idea what you'll play? o3o  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:43 am
KytanaTheThief
....even though I know I shouldn't be doing another game, reserve a spot for me....first arcane char ever for me, coming up! XD

I think you're needed in Eberron, cause only me and JD have posted thus far. Also, I don't think you've gone this round in BNW yet?

Regardless, looking forward to it smile

Whachu cooking? o3o  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:04 am
So far, looking at a halfling cosmic sorcerer.....and heavily debating having the char from Lidea, since I always love playing an "underground" char.

As for Eberron, wasn't quite sure on how to proceed, since a lot of it seemed to be just you and arc, wasn't sure where everyone else had gone. And yes, gonna post in BNW in a few ;p  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am
Rain Yupa
Snuff that Muffin