Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Neverwinter

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 am
I don't know how many of you keep up to speed with Wizards and stuff, but one of the newest products they are releasing is a campaign guide on Neverwinter. They are pushing the Forgotten Realms quite a lot, which is good for me because my IRL group have played in that setting almost all our DnD lives, and I am an avid reader of the Drizzt novels. It seems like they have been planning this for a while now, as the recent Drizzt book, Gauntlgrym had a lot to do with Neverwinter and it seemed almost like a prelude to the campaign guide. Obviously this is the case, since the trilogy if called the Neverwinter Trilogy xp

I for one love this direction, as the city of Neverwinter is, in my humble opinion, and great setting for a large campaign as well as books etc. And it is deserving of a new venture centered around it. (Although some more on Baldur's Gate would be nice too)

So I just wanted to know what anyone thought on the subject? If anything haha. Perhaps you don't care about the Realms, or at least this bit in particular. Would you rather they had spent time and money on a more generic product? Rather than one centered in one of their pre-existing campaign settings?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:36 am
I've never played in any settings beyond Midnight, I'm afraid. Beyond that, my experiences with such are limited to Arc's City of Towers game.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 am
From what I've heard regarding Gloomwrought, good things can be done with a tighter focus. Really this is a massive coup for the marketing department, tying in with the Drizzt novels and the release of the new Neverwinter Nights game. The benefit of doing it this way rather than establishing a new brand in a generic setting is name recognition: NWN has a lot of history behind it both in terms of tabletop and electronic gaming. So far nothing is set in stone anymore and Wizards isn't holding fast to their claim of "two books and an adventure per setting". I think a Sharn box would be great, but I'd prefer to see one based on Sigil.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:20 pm
Arc Vembris
From what I've heard regarding Gloomwrought, good things can be done with a tighter focus. Really this is a massive coup for the marketing department, tying in with the Drizzt novels and the release of the new Neverwinter Nights game. The benefit of doing it this way rather than establishing a new brand in a generic setting is name recognition: NWN has a lot of history behind it both in terms of tabletop and electronic gaming. So far nothing is set in stone anymore and Wizards isn't holding fast to their claim of "two books and an adventure per setting". I think a Sharn box would be great, but I'd prefer to see one based on Sigil.

Yeah, Sigil really interests me. It would be awesome for lot's devoted to that.

You ever played Planescape: Torment?  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:12 am
NayrVentess
Arc Vembris

Yeah, Sigil really interests me. It would be awesome for lot's devoted to that.

You ever played Planescape: Torment?
I did for a time, but I got stuck when I sold a plot-key by accident, and I couldn't be bothered to start over.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:06 am
Hahaha, yeah it can be a frustrating game. I only got about halfway through. I thought the dialogue and story wa pretty damn awesome though, maybe I'll have to go back to it some time.  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out