Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
I'm Such a Bad DM (Online)///Ravenholm is back! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 am
Hey there, this is mainly a message to my players (ex-players I guess)

Firstly just to apologise to you all that all my games have at some point in the past died (almost exclusively my fault). I am especially annoyed at myself for letting the Evil of Ravenholm die because I put a lot of effort into the setting for that game, and in its heyday it was going strong. The main reason that that game, and others of mine died, is because I can't use photoshop.

As simple as that.

Making maps the way I do, in code, is laborious and makes me want to scream. But that's the only way I could do them so hey that was fine, I knew that when I signed up. Buuuuut, when I spent 2 hours trying to move Hars a single square in the Evil or Ravenholm without the code ******** up on me (it was literally that long, every time I tried to move Arcs character the code went bleughasfuah...) I almost threw the laptop away in frustration.

So I gave up, and I apologise again.

I'm sure most you don't care anymore! It's been too long xp but I'm mainly posting this just to say that I am going to try my hardest to learn how to make lovely maps like most of you do on photoshop, and then I can come back and start DMing again. Which I really want to do, but have held off because I knew as soon as it got to the combat I would be like 'meh'.

So yeah just wanted to say that smile

aaaaaaand, I know most of you will be like, "Nayr, doing these maps on Photoshop is a piece of piss, you lazy bum." But I'm just not very good at it sad I can memorize any song you put in front of me, play a multitude of instruments, win most arguements, and I have a lot of other skills...! .....I just can't use photoshop stressed but I will work on it!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:26 am
I wouldn't have called you lazy... My brother used to write stuff out by code.... that is a chore to get things how you wish.

Main reason, I don't use maps... cause I can't use photoshop, nor can I code...  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:43 am
I appreciate the communication, seeing all the games languishing there is a bit depressing.

if it helps, I use GIMP, which is crappy shareware version of photoshop, and my maps aren't very pretty but no one's criticized them yet. maps only have to be good enough to show where things are.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:20 pm
Nayr, do you HAVE photoshop, and you're just not proficient with it? Or do you lack the program altogether?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:25 pm
I use a combination of Maptools and Gimp/MS Paint to fair effect

But lazy isn't the word I'd use either. I know how unforgiving any kind of code can be  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 am
I like your maps Spork, they are very clear and concise.

Rain, I have had photoshop on my laptop in the past, and can get it (or GIMP, as Spork and Seph have pointed out) back on here no problem. It's proficiency in the program I lack. (Insert DnD related proficiency joke here) But I think that once I get one of the afformentioned programs, I'm going to give it a good go to learn how to do it.

Joe-Dude does good maps with photoshop (although he hasn't been on in a while) so I think if he can spare the time I might get him to give me a quick photoshop tutorial haha. Either that or I'll just try to figure it out maself!  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:32 pm
If joe-dude could spare the time maybe he'd update his games

This is one of the ways I cheat. The benefit of running published adventures like I do if that I can just gank encounter maps from wizards.com. Then I just use GIMP to jockey tokens around.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 pm
Arc Vembris
If joe-dude could spare the time maybe he'd update his games

This is one of the ways I cheat. The benefit of running published adventures like I do if that I can just gank encounter maps from wizards.com. Then I just use GIMP to jockey tokens around.
stealing maps is so much easier than drawin them whole cloth. the sewers in have sword were some random tunnel complex i found on wizard's site, or /tg/ and added waterways to. I had to recreate it in GIMP, but mostly straight lines of different colors and bucket fills weren't hard. the fights against the bugs in the woods, and the kobold with wyrmlings were the only whole cloth maps I had to make, and even the kobold encounter was made eyeballing that tiny little island on the fallcrest map in the DMG.

the current leg of the campaign is super easy, i don't even have to bother with lining up a grid over it. go pregen adventures rofl  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:38 pm
NayrVentess
Rain, I have had photoshop on my laptop in the past, and can get it (or GIMP, as Spork and Seph have pointed out) back on here no problem. It's proficiency in the program I lack. (Insert DnD related proficiency joke here) But I think that once I get one of the afformentioned programs, I'm going to give it a good go to learn how to do it.

You asked me to make a tutorial for you some time ago via PM, and my computer doesn't have the space remaining to make such a video (and still doesn't).

However, within the past week, I just got an external harddrive (250 GB, 5x the amount of space on my harddrive) for the purpose of backing up my files. I could, theoretically, make that tutorial video for you now, if you wanted.

Although, my photoshop version is hella old (I think version 6?)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 am
Rain Yupa
NayrVentess

You asked me to make a tutorial for you some time ago via PM, and my computer doesn't have the space remaining to make such a video (and still doesn't).

However, within the past week, I just got an external harddrive (250 GB, 5x the amount of space on my harddrive) for the purpose of backing up my files. I could, theoretically, make that tutorial video for you now, if you wanted.

Although, my photoshop version is hella old (I think version 6?)

Rain, your Gaia schedule is super busy anyway, without taking into account IRL stuff. But if you could make a tutorial vid that would be fantastic yeah mrgreen  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:21 pm
WAHAH! I have managed to find a program that I (as a bit of a numpty when it comes to map making) can use. So firstly, Rain don't worry about making that photoshop tutorial if you don't have the time, I know you are busy. If you have already done it, then great! I'll have a gander. But if not, really don't worry as this program is p*** easy to use, so I can make maps on it.

Secondly, just a quick message to players..... NAYR IS BACK IN THE GAME! (The game of DMing that is) Will make a new post soon to discuss whether or not to revive old games/make new ones.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:31 pm
Ravenholm!  

joe-dude667

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:50 pm
joe-dude667
Ravenholm!

RAVENHOLLLM!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:03 pm
Arc Vembris
joe-dude667
Ravenholm!

RAVENHOLLLM!
RAAAAAAAAAVENHOOOOOOOOLM!!!!!!  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:11 am
SporkMaster5000
Arc Vembris
joe-dude667
Ravenholm!

RAVENHOLLLM!
RAAAAAAAAAVENHOOOOOOOOLM!!!!!!

come out and playyy-iiiiiyyy-yaaaaaayyyy!!!!  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff