Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
3:16 - Carnage Amongst the Stars (Game Mechanics/OOC) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:23 pm
Story setting from the book

3:16 is a role-playing game set in the far future

It's a Science Fiction setting where everyone plays members of the elite 3:16 Expeditionary Force. This military force left Terra over 10,000 strong many years ago with an explicit mission.

Their whole mission was to fight, and defeat, everything in the Universe that they could find. Alien civilizations, intelligences and life of any kind were to be wiped out to protect the future safety of the people home on Terra. Threats were to be neutralized at their source.

Terra is a prosperous place. No one works any more and there is no disease, no hate and no crime or trouble. People are sterile nad have to seek permission of the Terran Council to have children. Successful applicants have medical modifications made that allow for procreation and the children themselves are sterilized at the onset of puberty. They leave childish things behind them and become a citizen of Terra.

Life expectancy is now essentially a meaningless statistic. How long do you want to live for? You only leave this life when you want to, and who would want to?

Paradise is a reality.

When the Council formed the Expeditionary Forces they found it easy to recruit. After all they offered a life of excitement and adventure. See the cosmos, travel and live life to the full. Don't drop yourself in a suicide booth, serve your fellow Terrans by joining the Force. Child permits were raised as necessary to meet the demand, and everyone rejoiced in the plan.

Later recruiting posters featured wholesome troopers drinking cocktails on a cosmic beach on the edge of known space - an ideal that many wanted to live. Terrans had a taste for this glamorous promise. So they sought adventure in the Force.

For years they have recruited Terrans for the Expeditionary Forces and sent troopers out into space. The players all play characters that joined the elite 3:16th unit. The 16th Brigade of the 3rd Army.

These characters will experience a series of events strung across the vastness of the cosmos. And perhaps one day they will return to Terra.

That is 3:16.

3:16 is a high-combat, high-non-combat game about kicking alien arse and causing genocide in the name of Terra. Your sole purpose is to take as many alien scumbags with you to the grave! Also, how you deal with the absence of your distant home and how this separation affects you and your fellow Troopers.

It is an extremely simple system, and very fun to play. I strongly recommend people into science fiction games to consider getting a copy. It's similar to Starship Troopers, except a little more gritty.

There is currently openings for 2-5 troopers. As always, I will prioritize people who are not in my games over existing players. One spot has been previously reserved (through lots and lots of begging, and don't let claims that will allow the player to retain his dignity to convince you otherwise), and I will also make exceptions to potential players from my FF4e game that I recently closed.

If this is popular enough, I might allow two different companies (and thus, two different but connected games). But let's start with just one, yeah?

Don't worry about character creation yet. 3:16 is a very open-ended game, and the GM is encouraged to allow players to flesh out setting specifics as such situations arise. Specifically, characters are supposed to be made very generically, and detailed AFTER play has begun (via a "Flashback" mechanic). Players who sign up, I'll go into those details later.

Openings
1.) Mongooseh
2.) Arc Vembris
3.) Michael Bladebreaker Fired! Possibly out of an airlock.
4.) Meditatus Sanctum Mien
5.) buzzxf
6.) SporkMaster5000
7.) NayrVentess
8.) Raganui Minamoto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:31 pm
you have my interest.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:37 pm
I haven't decided on a set time for recruitment yet. When I feel like no one else is going to sign up, you'll be first to take an open position. Dibs is awesome like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:04 pm
like how simple is this system? Do I have to have the rules or can I be coached through it? What's the basic mechanic like?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:15 pm
You have 2 stats. Fighting Ability and Non-Fighting Ability. There's a few more things than that, but as far as hard stats go, that's it.

I could type up everything players need to know, mechanics-wise, in 15 minutes or less.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:20 pm
given your description of the setting, what would be the benefit in favoring not-fighting over fighting?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:30 pm
Because anything that doesn't involve fighting, involves non-fighting. Trying to ambush aliens is nonfighting. Trying to talk down a crazed trooper with a thermonuclear grenade in his hand is nonfighting. Enduring brutal climates is nonfighting. Not getting lost in the jungles of some godforsaken rock is nonfighting.

There's a couple combat-related reasons to have non-fighting too. For instance, players all roll their NFA to establish dominance at the start of an encounter. Depending on how many/how well players roll, it determines if they get to set the range of combat (certain weapons do better at certain ranges), and/or preventing the enemies from getting the upper hand on them to start.

After missions, players also can make NFA rolls to see if they can gain a new piece of wargear or to improve a weapon.

There's a few more things too, but I'll go over that later when I have a full party, or as close to it as I feel I'm going to get.

----------

Also, mechanic-wise. When players make a roll (FA or NFA), they have to roll equal to or under their skill (which will vary from 1-10). The highest rolled number that's a success trumps all the other successes. Then the highest rolled failure trumps all the other failures.

So a character with a FA of 7 and another with a FA of 5 both roll sixes for their FA rolls. The first one would succeed, the second one would not. If the first rolled a 1 and the second rolled a 2, both would succeed, but the second would succeed better/first.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 pm
interesting . . . are there any religions in this Utopia of carnage?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:03 pm
It's not really covered! The game encourages players to flesh out such things in play.

Characters will start somewhat two-dimensionally, but there's a Flashback mechanic. In the heat of battle, you can call upon your memories (good ones, or Strengths, vs bad ones, or Weaknesses). Strengths basically give you a surge of adrenaline that will help you annihilate xenos armies, whereas Weaknesses forces your character to do something which causes them and their team to lose the battle, but on their terms. Those memories called upon become part of your character sheet and develop your character as the game goes on.

You start with 1 unused Strength and 1 unused Weakness at char-gen, and you get one more of either every level (you cannot have greater than 1 more of either, so you can have 3/2, but not 4/2).

So if you make a religious character, you can eventually work in how religion has been a major part of your character's life prior to the present. Your character will get more defined as you go because of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 pm
Hmm, interesting, I'm in  

Arc Vembris
Crew

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:13 am
Hmmm yes, this does look very interesting. I had never heard of this game before, but your description and convo with Arc has piqued my curiousity. Consider me game mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:24 am
This review made me even more interested. So much so that I think I'm going to buy it razz  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:32 am
It kind of reminds me of a stripped-down version of Dogs in the Vineyard.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:47 am
This seems interesting. However I'm in two of your games already, so I'll only try for a spot if there's an opening after everyone else.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Michael Bladebreaker

Ruthless Hunter

6,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:52 pm
Pop me in, I need some stuff to do. biggrin  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]