Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
Powers and You Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I Be Athena

Dapper Gekko

5,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm
Yeah. If we could subscribe to threads in guilds. That would be nice.

Okay, new topic! Alchemy-- What is it?
To me, (this is based a lot off of FMA) it is exchanging one thing or more things and using magic to in turn get another. Like combining graphite and wood, then magicking it up and recieving a pencil.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:57 pm
Look at that. Three days late because of no notification. *facepalm*

I'd say Alchemy is just what you said, except it's way more technical. Like, you'd need to know atomic structures to do it correctly. Like turning gold into tin or something like that. Making things like swords from elements can fall under alchemy, as it's still.....you know, someone doing alchemy. That is of course assuming they say their power is alchemy and not elemental manipulation or something. That make sense?  

Mahareshi

NeophantomX

Devoted Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 pm
Hey are there any powers that you would place restrictions on to limit unfairness or auto hitting? For example gravity and telapathy cant be blocked or avoided so do you put a restriction on them?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm
Alchemy: Heh, alchemy is the art of combining 2 or more elements and taking their positive effects into the newly created item, this is traditionally used in medicinal alchemy (cue skyrim alchemy) where you would get two herbs or objects that have the same effect upon consumption and combine them to increase the effectiveness of them in a potion, but you could also take 2 metals and combine their properties into a sword, like you could combine copper and iron, you'd have a strong sword that was flexible, (i'm not talking rubber band flexible but plient, theres a little give in it) that would make the sword a good use in sword fights as swords that are singularly strong would break after a while, whereas if its somewhat plient it would take longer to break, but your sword would probably bend over backwards before it broke. At least thats my take on it.  

Colonel_Crapshot

Omnipresent Loiterer

5,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

b10n1cl3k1n6

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 am
NeophantomX
Hey are there any powers that you would place restrictions on to limit unfairness or auto hitting? For example gravity and telapathy cant be blocked or avoided so do you put a restriction on them?

Good question, one that a lot of people don't bother asking. xp
Ultimately, that depends on to what extent does your character control his or her element, ability, etc. The stronger your character, the more it would take to defend against his or her attacks, alterations, whatever.
Also, there is no such thing as a singular all powerful elemental ability. There is no such thing as an unblockable move; the only way that is determined is if it is part of the story or not: will you let it hit you, or not? That doesn't mean you can godmode and dodge every attack.
To answer more directly your question, yes, all of them. Restrictions and/or limits apply to every element. Once again, depending on the strength of their element determines what limits, weaknesses, etc, that they have. Let's say I control earth. I'm m decent at it: I can shift dirt and sand, solidify it to make rock, break down hard rock to sand, bla bla bla. Obviously, since I'm not that strong, I won't be causing earthquakes and whatnot, it requires too much energy and I'm simply not powerful enough. That would be a restriction: no making earthquakes.
On a side note, both of those can be countered, actually, or at least be defended against. Telepathy, it's all mental work. Someone tries to get in your head, you defend with your head. Make a wall in your mind, or attack with your mind. It's not actually using telepathy if it's only going on in your head, this is something anyone can do, though most can't because they don't know how are are lousy at it. For gravity, there's not much, admittedly, unless you also control gravity. Otherwise, stay outside the sphere of influence; the user can only control gravity ina select area. Their strength determines the radius. It's not a foolproof method, but it does work in theory. Practice, it's much harder.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:27 am
If were talking about Gravity and Telepathy there are methods to avoid them. But I wont post it here since biggrin I would just hurt your brains with boring equations.  

Azorius Beat

Dangerous Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Informer 100
  • Member 100

Shadowing Death

Distinct Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:10 pm
Alright... time to get cracken with a random question... if someone controlled the element of air/wind (or whatever)... Could it be possible that the one with the element's control could take the air from someone's lungs and around him/her to make them suffocate from lack of air?... or is that too unlikely?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 pm
No that is possible, because your lungs are inflated by the air around a person, they don't move on their own. However it would most likely be seen as godmodding to do it to a person's character. But doing it to NPC's would most likely not be a big issue.  

Nicko1421

Azorius Beat

Dangerous Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Informer 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm
Unless the person controls fire. If you have someone who has the ability to become like Flash and spin around the person, it slowly vacuums the air around them. Making them to suffocate, but of course just tripping the person would stop them. :3  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:05 pm
@Shadowinghorrblyslowdeath - When people ask for that power in my rp, I ask that they make it just blowing really. Not sucking or anything like that because it'll lead to what Nicko said. If you want to get technical though and actually sneak past that rule, you can do what Azo said and vacuum the air out with a rotating stream of air, or a fast moving stream of air around someone's mouth and nose. (See Bernoulli's Principle.) But no one thinks of that...so yeah.

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED SOMEONE POSTED IN MY THREAD! C'mon Gaia, you've gotta be smarter about these kind of things....  

Mahareshi

Azorius Beat

Dangerous Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Informer 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:10 pm
Sorry Mahakaiser.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:38 pm
New Topic: " Moon Phases "

Can you create a Power out of this? If so tell us. wink

If you can't, well I guess I'll have to share some of mine.

Azorius Beat

Dangerous Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Informer 100
  • Member 100

Mahareshi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 pm
I can. A basic and a technical one.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 am
Interesting, I made a few using the light of the moon as well the phases of strengths and weakness.  

Azorius Beat

Dangerous Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Informer 100
  • Member 100

Mcemosama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:38 am
Braw, Had an issue with someones power on a RP not to long ago(not on this guild tho, but whatevs). She had the power to spread pestilence and disease, and that in itself made me iffy, but what made me all bent out of shape about it, was that she instantly infected me with rapid necrosis which I had nothing to counter it with. For those of you that don't know necrosis is a disease that causes your organ and skin tissue to die slowly (in this case quickly) rendering your body useless as you rot from the inside out...... :/ so what up with that power....to strong...or just a victim of circumstance?

Also....this date's back awhile but...One of my OC's is a Hedron-Crafter, a type of artifactier that creates Hedrons that contain the power to influence the world around them, the main way is by expanding or somehow manipulating the minds of the individuals within it's field of influence...the crystals power vary, but they are incredibly strong with the downside of burning out fast...at it's weakest it has an area of effect that hinders both ally and enemy, at it's best the controller can make thoughts manifest into a physical medium....much worse things can come of that, but for fairness I give him only that basic version..and in between he can bombard people with psionic waves and reinforce allies powers.

I have a similar artifactier that creates golems of ranging purpose and design from liquid gold/silver (supposedly), he has alot of powers aside from that, however, since I built up his race to draw power from light, so he's tech-savy and has the ability to convert light into everything he needs (for his body/magic, he can't manifest a Trans Am), it's a food source (photosythesis), Mana source etc. , thou those powers are a secondary.....bluh this turned less into talking about powers and more into me showing off.....lol fail sweatdrop

Anyway, opinions on how abilities that use mediums or create should function on a relative level?  
U/C

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff