Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Creating New Pathfinder Core Class - Arcane Warrior

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm
So, I've decided to create a new character class called the Arcane Warrior. An Arcane Warrior is an individual born with the magical abilities of a Sorcerer who uses their magic to augment their natural attributes and equipment instead of to cast spells. This means that Arcane Warriors have no spellcasting ability, despite the fact that they have innate magical power. Instead they have enchantments. An enchantment is a spell-like ability that Arcane Warriors use to perform all sorts of effects, such as making a weapon do fire damage in addition to normal damage, creating a shimmering shield that provides an armor class bonus or absorbs spell damage, and other such things. Enchantments can only effect an Arcane Warrior's equipment or body, not allies or enemies.

Now, I have some basic ideas for what I want the Arcane Warrior to be, but I could use some help ironing out the details. Here's what I have so far:

Full base attack bonus - The Arcane Warrior is very much a combat class

d10 Hit Die - Again, this is very much a combat class

Proficiency with all armor, all shields (except tower shields), and all simple and martial weapons.

Skill Ranks per Level - 2, with class skills being a mix of those available to Sorcerers and Fighters

Bloodline Power - Each Arcane Warrior selects a Sorcerer bloodline at 1st level and gains powers from it at the same speed as a Sorcerer, but the powers an Arcane Warrior gets from their bloodline are different than those a Sorcerer would get do to the fact that Arcane Warriors use their magic in different ways than Sorcerers.

Enchantments - I want Arcane Warriors to learn one of these at every other level, and they are activated as a free action (They have no components, so wearing heavy armor or being unable to speak will not interfere with their use in any way)

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer suggestions, such as how powerful enchantments should be, how long/often they should be able to be used, how powerful the Arcane Warrior versions of the bloodline powers should be (and what they should be), and anything else that comes to mind. I'm not asking anyone to do all the work for me, but advice is greatly sought. What I'm looking for in this class in a frontline warrior that goes into battle protected and enhanced by arcane magic. I do not want a class with a full BAB and some spellcasting ability (which is why this class lacks spellcasting ability period), I want a class that uses magic to temporarily enhance and enchant it's weapons and armor and it's physical and mental attributes.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:39 pm
So basically what you're looking at is creating a combination of a swordmage and an artificer, at least in regard to flavor?

In all seriousness, I'd look at alchemic formulas to get some ideas for these enchantments.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 pm
Dion Necurat
So basically what you're looking at is creating a combination of a swordmage and an artificer, at least in regard to flavor?

In all seriousness, I'd look at alchemic formulas to get some ideas for these enchantments.
I don't recall the abilities of the Swordmage or Artificer, so I cannot answer.

As for alchemical formulas, that's a very good idea. I have the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide (Just bought it yesterday, in fact), so I could look through what the Alchemist class has to offer in the way of that.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat

I'm talking in regard to 4th Edition D&D, as that's the system I'm most familiar with. In summary:

Swordmages are...well, they're pretty much exactly what you described; spellcasters that don't really use spells, but tap into the arcane to power their abilities.

Artificers are tinkerers. Basically, they provide magical buffs to items and to people for a better output.

From what you described, you're looking for a warrior that taps into the arcane (swordmage) and can power itself when it needs to (artificier).

Quote:
As for alchemical formulas, that's a very good idea. I have the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide (Just bought it yesterday, in fact), so I could look through what the Alchemist class has to offer in the way of that.

It would be a start, but it might also be helpful to look at different sets of powers (alchemy, divine powers, magic spells, etc.) of different classes to see how one would be able to make a self-sustaining magic tank.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:13 pm
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat

I'm talking in regard to 4th Edition D&D, as that's the system I'm most familiar with. In summary:

Swordmages are...well, they're pretty much exactly what you described; spellcasters that don't really use spells, but tap into the arcane to power their abilities.

Artificers are tinkerers. Basically, they provide magical buffs to items and to people for a better output.

From what you described, you're looking for a warrior that taps into the arcane (swordmage) and can power itself when it needs to (artificier).

Quote:

It would be a start, but it might also be helpful to look at different sets of powers (alchemy, divine powers, magic spells, etc.) of different classes to see how one would be able to make a self-sustaining magic tank.
Thanks for the advice. What I want is what you said, pretty much.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 pm
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

One last tip; for a class like this, it might be a good idea to have 3 or 4 areas of enchantments, such as combat-based, skill-based, and other. Each of those can be divided down more, to help ease in a few more powers. I wouldn't go over 10 per level, though, and I'd up the enchantment per level count to 2, maybe 3 per level, depending on what ability you're pulling from.

EDIT: 10 to choose from per level. That would've been confusing. sweatdrop  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:19 pm
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

One last tip; for a class like this, it might be a good idea to have 3 or 4 areas of enchantments, such as combat-based, skill-based, and other. Each of those can be divided down more, to help ease in a few more powers. I wouldn't go over 10 per level, though, and I'd up the enchantment per level count to 2, maybe 3 per level, depending on what ability you're pulling from.
Yea, I was thinking along the same lines. 1 every other level sounded good at first, but in retrospect it doesn't give much variety in each character.

The idea of dividing enchantments by category is much appreciated. It's a very good one.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:21 pm
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

Yea, I was thinking along the same lines. 1 every other level sounded good at first, but in retrospect it doesn't give much variety in each character.

The idea of dividing enchantments by category is much appreciated. It's a very good one.

Hell, I'll give you one off the top of my head: Keen under combat. Being able to crit in this class sounds like an option for sure.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: 10 to choose from per level. That would've been confusing. sweatdrop
Yea, that would have been confusing. Still, the idea of learning a few new ones each level is a good one, as is the idea of having a large selection divided into categories.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:24 pm
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat
I-I-I-O_O-I-I-I
Dion Necurat

Thanks for the advice.

Hell, I'll give you one off the top of my head: Keen under combat. Being able to crit in this class sounds like an option for sure.
Yes, that would be a good one. Magically sharpening weapons? I like it, especially the way it must look to an enemy watching the enchantment activated. All of a sudden sparks fly along the blade accompanied by a loud scraping sound, leaving the blade gleaming in an indescribably lethal manner for a few seconds before dimming, sharper than it was before.  

Kelsey MacAilbert

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff