Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
My Own Aquarium or Dream Avi? (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:30 pm
User Image User Image User Image
nom nom nom...
User Image
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I've been a member of Gaia for a long time, but everyone needs help every once and a while right?

I've been saving up for my dream avi for about 3 months now, and I've already got a pretty large sum, compared to my usual amount. I've been playing booty grab and posting like crazy. Now, I just saw the announcement that Phin Phang just re-opened, and things are cheaper now. I've been wanting an aquarium for a while, but always thought I should get my dream avi first.

Which leaves me wondering, if the profit for your tank is really as good as it sounds, should I make an aquarium and then continue saving up? Would it make a noticable difference in how fast I earn gold? And if so, how do I make my tank noticeable enough to even rack up a good amount of gold? What kinds of fish are the most profitable? Would decorating my tank make it more welcoming? Should I just go around asking for invites, or would that be too pushy? Do tanks require excess amouns of maintenence?

And the biggest question of all, would it be worth it to spend the 150k I've made so far on a good tank and save up again for a dream avi?

Yes, I know it's a big question, but it's been bothering my for quite some time... >.<

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
User Image
... nom nom nom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 pm
I don't think you should Buy the aquarium.
you need to put a lot of time and effort, advertise your tank, etc...
sometimes you don't make all the gold back.
I suggest that you go for your avi first and then for your tank.

& Could you list what you still need for your avi? maybe I have an item that you need.  

taltal111

Wealthy Noob

8,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 pm
nom nom nom...
User Image
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

User Image
Total Value: 860,149 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Cloud
Powdy Pengy
Powdy Pengy
Heavenly Awesome
Music Note Mood Bubble
Starbabies

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep working on it! This is the avi.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
User Image
... nom nom nom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I agree with taltal, it's probably not worth it to spend the entire 150k that you have trying to make your aquarium top-notch. I'd imagine you'd earn back the 150k you spent on the aquarium eventually, but it will take months & months, & you'd have to dedicate time a fair amount of time to maintaining the aquarium & reading resources/guides to learn about the different fish & how to keep each type of fish as happy as possible & stuff like that, since simply spending lots of gold on your aquarium won't automatically make it profitable or anything.
    Of course, it's your decision; there's no concrete "right" or "wrong" answer to your question. However, I'd personally suggest that you just keep the 150k & instead of spending gold on your aquarium hoping it will earn you gold, use that gold to buy some of the items on your Dream Avi. I'd also highly suggest making a quest thread & visiting giveaway/charity threads (there are tons in NSTG, & tons more in Gaia's Charities & Quests forum); there are many opportunities for you to get donations from people to help you complete your quest, & taking advantage of those resources is certainly less time consuming than trying to maintain a great aquarium, plus receiving donations of course doesn't cost you anything!
    I hope you found at least some of that information to be helpful. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask! :3

elyzia

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:32 pm

I agree with the above. In my experience with aquariums (I maintained mine very well for a long time, but I never advertised it- it was only played by those who happened to see it) and I only made around 30k total or so when last I checked my total. This was off several Methuselah mini-monsters who were over 500 days old and other high gold-drop fish- so to me, unless you're going to be on top of your aquarium and trying to get a full tank of players in on every glow, it's not worth the effort.

Your dream avatar is a reasonably priced one- keep shooting for it and you'll be there in no time ;3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm
nom nom nom...
User Image
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks for all the help you guys. I'm gonna save up my money then [:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
User Image
... nom nom nom

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:57 am
I am glad you didn't go for the aquarium. There have been a lot of changes and probably more are coming, but you really shouldn't plan on making money through an aquarium. It is just very unlikely that you will get the money back that you paid in. (And do remember that fish die and must be replaced.)

You have a good start on your dream avi, congratulations!  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 am
User Image

ColorfulCrayonsOfContent

As an owner of 6 tanks and a BG thread, gotta say smart choice. Don't invest in a lower end tank unless you want it mostly for looks, or you are willing to spend a lot of time bumping your glow thread and getting in to the Aquarium community.

Congrats on the good start to the dream avi! Do you have a quest thread?

Open and Recruiting

GillaGrrl

Beloved Heckler

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas