Submit

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:20 pm
D i m i Happy Easter G i r l.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After my mother`s medical treatments we want to adopt another dog and give her some fur therapy, you know?

We want a medium, friendly, calm, semi-active dog that loves to be loved and loves back unconditionally.
A dog that is low maintenance with grooming such as a 2 week grooming period.
We can`t have any dogs that are very playful in doors since we have people living underneath us and we cannot have the dog making too much noise, so no yappers.
The dog cannot be small either, or too large so here it is....

What kind of dogs are the best for apartment living and how do we train them to use the deck and the potty pad while we are out? Any tips and tricks of how to have an apartment dog such as anything you do to make apartment life easier with you and your dog?

We had dogs when we lived in a house so we were used to just opening the door and letting them go into the background to go to the bathroom now we need new ideas on how to potty train a new dog in our new apartment.

So any help please?
Just to clarify I am looking for pure opinions on what type of breeds you think are good for apartments and why.
I will do the research and see if they are a good breed for us. ^_^

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm

For medium dog suggestions, that all depends on how much time you or your mom has to walk it. Most medium dogs do need lots of exercise. May I ask why you can't have a small dog?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:25 pm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Because we had small dogs last time, but this time we want more of buddy type dog that can be active and walking it isn`t a big deal.
We just can`t have an overly active dog that jumps and prances everywhere indoors and makes noise for our downstairs neighbors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:36 pm
[♫=♥]

The noise can be prevented if you know how to train your dog to bark when it is necessary and to stay silent. No dog is a "yapper". All it takes is training and exercise and your dog will bark less and less.

From my experience, a Havanese would be a good one, but that's a small breed.

Springer Spaniel is, from what I read, good for apartment life. It is a medium size, even-tempered, and doesn't have a really high energy.

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:46 pm
d i m i r h e x

Because we had small dogs last time, but this time we want more of buddy type dog that can be active and walking it isn`t a big deal.
We just can`t have an overly active dog that jumps and prances everywhere indoors and makes noise for our downstairs neighbors.

Look into papillons. They're a small dog, but properly trained they can be every bit a "buddy". They're not terribly consuming with their exercise needs, and like Jiti said, the only dog that is a yapper is an untrained dog.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:40 pm
Ex racing greyhound? Those vary in size quite a lot and I've seen some that could almost be mistaken for a whippet. But then even the big ones are very good at folding up small if given a comfy bed in the corner. wink

A greyhound will be nice and relaxed in the apartment. They are friendly, calm and will happily go for a walk, but it won't matter if you don't go every day. Very low maintenance, not prone to being noisy.

If I were living in an apartment an ex racing grey would be my first choice. smile  

Skeksis

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Thank you everyone for your help.
My mother was a dog trainer for years and passed her lessons onto me so we know how to train dogs.
That is never going to be issue. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:50 am
Good to know you can train dogs 3nodding

An ex-racing greyhound would be a great idea. Already past the puppy stage, most like socialized already, and they're not all that time consuming. Just a walk daily, and if there's anywhere you can take it to let it off for a run, that'd be great.

I also hear springer spaniels are good apartment dogs.
Are you sure you don't want a small dog though? I mean, they can still be good buddy dogs  

DeeSpark

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:41 am
d i m i r h e x

Thank you everyone for your help.
My mother was a dog trainer for years and passed her lessons onto me so we know how to train dogs.
That is never going to be issue. 3nodding

Knowing how to train the dog is of the utmost importance, so it's good you have the know-how.

We got our pitbull when we were living in an apartment. We had no yard for her to play in. Her exercise was walking/jogging with me.

We crate trained her so we wouldn't have any accidents while we were out.

Since we had no yard, it was very important to train her to stay away from the door. I didn't want her to run out just because it was opened...this happened once and scared me to death. She learned not to go to the door unless she had to go potty and she didn't go out the door unless she was leashed up.

She was very good inside. Not overly active at all. Outside she just wanted to go go go!!!  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games