Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
So, I'm curious about Pathfinder...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I can haz info?
  You can haz.
  You no can haz.
View Results

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 pm
Namely because I have NO IDEA what it even IS, beyond the mechanics of play. What's Golarion like? Why should I pray to whatever deities there are the Drow don't capture me? What's significant about the different nations? How would I go about changing my 3.5 campaign to a Pathfinder set-up? And are there seriously other planets in this campaign? I'm curious and slightly excited.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Pathfinder isn't specific to Golarion. That's just Paizo's campaign setting for it's AP modules and what-not.

Pathfiner the RPG is a revised version of 3.5 D&D, trying to fix issues, tweak some stuff, and keep the ruleset in publication for those of us who didn't drink the kool-aid of 4.0.

Golarion is a pretty interesting campaign setting, insofar as it's been put together to ideally allow any kind of campaign to run there. There's nordic ice-world stuff fighting linnorms and mammoths, there's ancient alien technology from crashed spaceships, there's an island nation ruled by a gold dragon who's trying to use Eugenics to breed perfect humans... And then all the more standard fantasy stuff. The campaign setting guide, especially the new World Guide that just launched, is pretty sweet. You can even buy the new world guide in PDF form for a paltry $9.99 from Paizo, if you're okay with reading pdfs.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 pm
I don't have PayPal... I'm still in Highschool, and my parents are pretty strict on interweb stuff... So, yeah... I'm curious about that stuff since I have no real access to it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm
Eternality_Cannon
I don't have PayPal... I'm still in Highschool, and my parents are pretty strict on interweb stuff... So, yeah... I'm curious about that stuff since I have no real access to it.

Well. Give this site a gander then.[X]  

XDazerethX

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:19 am
If you can't purchase the pdf... you could always try the Pathfinder Wiki. It's not as robust, but it's a compliation of a large amount of the stuff that's been published for the setting.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:08 am
Also to add, Paizo is using the Open Gaming License, so they also have an SRD Here. It contains the core books, as well as the Advanced Player's Guide, since it's under the OGL.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 am
I just read Cayden's bio. He won godhood while he was drunk. That is, without doubt, the funniest thing I have ever heard.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 pm
That reminds me, I still owe him twelve gold for that.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:23 pm
Oh, my sentient lion animal companion took the test of the Star Stone at the end of the 2nd Darkness AP and became a god. It's not like it's that hard...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:42 pm
I'm debating on whether I should throw Greyhawk into the mix on Sarusan. Should I or shouldn't I?  

Slave Xaccheus

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:54 pm
Greyhawk the castle, or Greyhawk the world? Because Golarion is basically already a Greyhawk world analogue, more or less - a kind of "any game you want can be set here" kind of place.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:10 pm
Disciple of Sakura
Oh, my sentient lion animal companion took the test of the Star Stone at the end of the 2nd Darkness AP and became a god. It's not like it's that hard...

Yes, and now I'm playing a cleric of his sentient lion god in another Pathfinder game.... biggrin

But yeah, Pathfinder is awesome. I've enjoyed the world setting and the game itself. I ran the Second Darkness Adventure Path in Golarion (source of above mentioned lion god), and found the world to be a very interesting place with some really cool stuff. (Not the least of which was the scene in the second module of the AP when the PCs are in a decrepit tower that then rolls down a hill with them inside it!) I definitely recommend it as a place to run games. smile  

jennibert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 pm
"Ooooh. Ursuuss. You didn't bet Cayden!... wait... did you?" Speaks melodically with a drunken slur the halfling sipping eagerly from a waterskin. "Would you like some honeyed mead!" He states excitedly and thrusts for the container towards you.

Oh yes, Cayden is indeed awesome. >.>  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:59 pm
Anatarei Crimsonthrone
Greyhawk the castle, or Greyhawk the world? Because Golarion is basically already a Greyhawk world analogue, more or less - a kind of "any game you want can be set here" kind of place.

The Flaeness, to be accurate. Although recently I just found the Spelljammer stuff, so I can probably just say "Greyhawk is on another other planet" and leave it at that...  

Slave Xaccheus

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff