Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Token guild introduction thread! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am
DGwar
Hi all, DGwar here. Gaian veteran, new to trying D&D on it however. I used to do a lot of freeform RP on the site, took like a 10 year hiatus and apparently am back.

Hmm. Your name seems familiar. I wonder if we ran in any shared circles at one point.

Anyways, welcome! We are in a bit of an inactivity lull right now. There's still people here posting/playing, but hardly anyone's trying to start new games (obviously there is a post about SCN's game right now, so of course there are exceptions). I myself haven't been able to do much as my current employer deigned that I and I alone from my entire department am "essential" and haven't had the reprieve to initiate and continue anything new. sad

If you can't find anything to join, the advice I was given when I first joined was "If you want to see games in the guild, try running one". The more games going on, the more seem people want to make, and we've had a couple dozen going at once at one point. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:14 pm
Evening all Fenris here you cna call me Yahm'igduh my friend call me Yam for short im a long time gaian finally come back after a several year hiatus. I've played D&D quite a lot from 1e to 5e playing 5e for going on 3 years now and an up and coming Dm/Gm for it as well. I'm also looking into other table top rpgs that I myself might try to GM at some point I'm happy to DM for any interested 5e players feel free to PM me.  

Yamhigduh

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 pm
I am going with Fenris, as I can spell that reliably and Yam just reminds me of the orange potato-like thing I ate for lunch. wink

Sorry for the delay, Welcome!

Sadly, we only have 2 play-by-post games moment; a 4e game that has been going since Feb. of 2015, and my 5e game which started 2 months ago.

Most of the active player's schedules are too hectic for it, but, we do have a Discord channel. If you would prefer to run a game on voice or over chat.

Anyway, as said before, Welcome to the guild!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:14 pm
Got my acceptance today. Super pumped about it!

My name is Lucien, you can call me that or Karo depending on what you are more comfortable with

Joined Gaia in 2006 I think (maybe '07) and then took a really long hiatus for the last maybe 7 years. Feeling it out to see if I wanna come back

Been playing D&D since I was a kid. I started in 3.5 I think (at least that's the last I can remember) but have been playing 5e since it's been out. I much prefer it tbh, both as a player and a DM, because I don't have time for the complexity of 3.5 anymore

As stated, I'm both a player and a DM, in pretty much equal parts. I have been working on a complete homebrew campaign for the last year but have ran some tweaked premades as well and find them to be super fun still.

I have a discord RPG channel set up and am a member of D&D beyond as well, for future reference

My favorite aspect of most games, DnD included, is teaching new/returning players, or helping any players work through questions or issues they are having with their content. Feel free to chat me up anytime with anything you wanna talk about. Very glad to meet you all  

Karokash

Tipsy Codger

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:49 am
Karokash

Welcome aboard, Karokash!

Things have been slowing, which is no fault of my own. Real life has brutalized my schedule for the past few years so that waylaid my ability to substantially contribute to the guild (I need a new job, tbh). At one point, I was DMing 3 or 4 games at once to keep up activity and in turn, those people were DMing as well because they had their own stories they wanted to tell. These days, its most people come in, see no openings, and don't come back sweatdrop Honestly, creativity spurs further creativity so we need more games before we get more games.

I haven't had a chance to really explore 5e yet (due to aforementioned schedule issues) and I was on the fence with it. I like what they did with the spell system, I hate what they did with the skill system, and haven't really seen anything else yet. Haven't been behind the screen, but it looks as complex as 3.X to run (if anything, moreso). Further experience may sway my opinions, but that is a future goal, not a present one for me.

I hope you find a good home here, and have lots of fun! biggrin

-Rain (Gaia member since 2003 wink )  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:42 pm
Rain Yupa
Karokash

I think it's a bit less overwhelming for me because I had such a long time gap between 3.5 and 5e. I pretty much completely skipped 4e. So I basically learned 5e completely fresh. It does put a LOT more responsibility on the DM and as a player you end up having to put a lot of trust in them, but as a DM, it really gives a ton of freedom. So I guess it's both easier to be nasty to your players as it is to ensure that they have a great time. You can guide the adventure more easily without having to literally flub rolls. As for the mechanic differences, I will admit like I said before, i probably had an easier time with it because I wasn't trying to directly transition from 3.5 so I wasn't gummed up by a full cup so to speak.

idk I think it's just more one of those give it a try to see how it feels thing. Definitely start with a prewritten or small homebrew one shot to get the feel first.

And if my own hectic schedule (homelessness and 5 day/week job) ever resolves and I have more free time, I'm absolutely down to host a game or two to get the blood flowing again here. In the mean time, I'm always open to provide input if anyone wants it on anything they're discussing. HMU anytime.  

Karokash

Tipsy Codger

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Captain Veleyna Istari

Adorable Genius

4,625 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:55 am
Hello, everyone! I'm a returning Gaian, you can call me Vel. I've been a roleplayer since 2007 when I first joined Gaia, and a TTRPG'er for about five years now, being both DM and player. Usually what I've been able to play is a D&D-variant so heavily homebrewed I'm not sure it can be called D&D anymore, but I'd like to try playing D&D 3.5 or 5E properly.

I love making characters in my spare time and working on worldbuilding.

For my characters, I usually like to take the cliches and put a twist on them or make something weird that isn't quite any cliche that I know of. I especially enjoy challenging myself to break cliches that have become more like traditions, such as the standard backstory including having dead parents. Most of my characters either have living biological parents or living adopted parents somewhere in the world.

My favorite character at the moment is sort of a reverse-Drizzt. An elven family realized they could use their longevity and magical prowess to claim power in a human city, and upon doing so gradually became more corrupt. The king rules the kingdom, but the family rules the people in a mafiaesque manner. V'lana, my character, was to be a powerful wizard for the family and was raised with magic being a regular part of her lessons. But the family has secret magical traditions including the Shadow Binding, a ritual in which the mage-to-be finds a suitable candidate to sacrifice and bind as a spectral servant. Basically creating a permanent unseen servant effect. V'lana chose a knight who was loyal by nature, strong, and handsome. She thought he would be a good choice... but in a series of unfortunate mishaps, she ended up catching and sacrificing a young sorceress instead. The ritual was a flop, the sorceress was not loyal and immediately set to work making V'lana's life hell. Haunted and realizing the family no longer had a use for her since she couldn't even succeed at what they considered a simple beginner's ritual, V'lana chose to run away instead of wait around to be disposed of. Still trying to uphold the values she was raised with, V'lana is lawful evil, but she does have the potential to become good if she finds a party that encourages and supports such growth.

For my worldbuilding, I tend to favor working on medieval fantasy or magitech-driven worlds. The most sci-fi I'll willingly go now is a post-apocalypse fantasy in which magic either contributed to the end of the world and the rise of new tech or the world that ended did so in a manner that allowed magic to come into existence. Most recently the world I've been working on was human-centric, no other races, until the empires rose to a point of technological and magical capability that they created races to serve them as they warred against eachother. The humans practically wiped themselves out, being saved by one of their creations that was designed to keep things safe and then the world was claimed by the other creations and summons. In that setting the humans are essentially the elves if the elves had been more hands-on in shaping the world and the progress of other races.

So, I hope all that gives a good idea about my imagination and a taste of my style. My other characters tend to be a wide range, I favor spellcasters, but have also made barbarians, monks, rogues, fighters, paladins, etc. I have made a couple of sci-fi settings too, but those don't seem quite as popular as fantasy from what I've seen and I prefer trying to make unique fantasy settings.

Also, I tend to edit images I find or create images of my own for characters I want to play. This is a picture I found and edited to represent how I imagine V'lana, I don't know who drew the original picture.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:00 pm
Welcome to the guild!  

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:15 am
Captain Veleyna Istari
For my characters, I usually like to take the cliches and put a twist on them or make something weird that isn't quite any cliche that I know of. I especially enjoy challenging myself to break cliches that have become more like traditions, such as the standard backstory including having dead parents. Most of my characters either have living biological parents or living adopted parents somewhere in the world.

Welcome to the guild. I'm the captain (though I haven't been much of one since life has gotten SUPER busy for me over the past year); most guild members tend to be somewhat transient, but I've always appreciated those that stay.

I really liked the backstory for V'lana, by the way! It's very well thought out. Is she your character in any current games? Also, I didn't even realize the character art was edited, you did a really good job with those edits! o_o

Regarding the cliche-breaking part I quoted above, have you seen this?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm
Rain Yupa
Welcome to the guild. I'm the captain (though I haven't been much of one since life has gotten SUPER busy for me over the past year); most guild members tend to be somewhat transient, but I've always appreciated those that stay.

I really liked the backstory for V'lana, by the way! It's very well thought out. Is she your character in any current games? Also, I didn't even realize the character art was edited, you did a really good job with those edits! o_o

Regarding the cliche-breaking part I quoted above, have you seen this?

Thank you, and no, V'lana isn't being used in any games yet. I've still been working on some details and haven't rolled any stats or anything except inventory yet. I'm also glad you like the edits, it took a while for me to learn to do that.

And no, I don't think I've seen that post before. I like the idea though.  

Captain Veleyna Istari

Adorable Genius

4,625 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Unfairly_Banned_2021

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:06 pm
I know what you are thinking, I usually do, because my insight is through the roof:
"Wait, that guy's username says he got banned before. Isn't that an obvious red flag?"
But no, I wasn't banned for trolling, but because I tried to start a riot against the Karen-ist tyranny of the mods, after they ganged against me because I said the Q-anon "Chaman" is a punk b***h and he will not do well in prison.
Ever watched "American History X"?
Now imagine Ed Norton's character complaining he's not getting organic food.
I rest my case emotion_donotwant

So, as you can see, all I am is a regular guy with a deep love for truth, justice and my right to party; which it's of course what brings me towards role-playing games.

The first time I tried to get into D&D it was the first Wednesday after they released 4E.
That did not go well; hordes over hordes of nerds made sure of it.
And also the fact that I can only play online didn't help at all.
But now that's everyone who has to get our D&D fix online because of covid, and not just those nobody wants to play with (or the autism-related socially challenged like me), I have decided to give it another try to the game.
Please don't make me regret it. I have hexes, and I'm not afraid to use them.

So, general information about me: I'm an absolute novice regarding D&D, but I had played "Mutants and Masterminds", I'm also interested in playing Vampire, Shadowrun, and Cyberpunk 2020; I understand there's a zombie apocalypse specific one, but I'm okay if this guild is purely exclusive about D&D.
Any game can be turned into a zombie apocalypse anyway, so...

Oh, and you can call me Nishido, or Nish; or Daddy, but only if you are either a succubus or an erinyes and you had been a very good girl wink
And I know it's not that kind of dungeon! emotion_awesome
I'm only kidding, geez biggrin

Finally, I'm seeing there is a lot of 4E going on here, and it makes me glad, because maybe in here someone will let me play the swordmage I rolled 13 freaking years ago and which was despised for the nerd haters.

Insolent was too pure for this sad sick world, but perhaps he finally will have a chance to shine... emo

Anything else you need to know, please just ask.
In the meanwhile, I leave you with my presentation card:
User Image
Nice to meet you emotion_yatta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:52 am
I have no idea who that Q guy is and based on your explanation. I don't wanna know.

Greetings, Nish. Most here just shorthand my name for SCN. But you can call me Supreme Commander Nemesis! Or Vice-Captain, or just SCN. I don't care. biggrin Just don't call me late for dinner.

This guild is an open forum for any kind of RP system. The fact it is called what it is is mostly due to no one can find the keys to the light bulb case. I think, the Ninja Ferret that drives a Ferrari stole them.

DnD past 2ed isn't that hard to learn. 4e is the easiest and most forgiving of the lot, IMO, but that is like comparing cookie dough ice cream to rocky road. I have no experience with 1st or 2. That said, it does have issues, mostly due to a relatively short development time and being released with half what was planned for it, And It's name(Name it Dungeongate, instead of DnD 4th ed, and many of the haters would've been mute.)

Sadly, we have only a few active members and only 2 are willing/able to DM. Due to that, we have one 4e game running at the moment and it is reaching the end of a 6-year run. And currently no word on a sequel.

And a play-by-post 5e game I run on discord. In which one person already dropped out of and 2 others are silent... The original heroes were once prisoners, but were released earlier than planned die to the government needing their skills. Currently, we have the ex-bounty hunter, the ex-town guard turned undead, and the big name wrestling star. The concept was part DarkSun, part Suicide Squad... Then we added players and it evolved. As it should. As said, it isn't 4e but I would be willing to let you in, if you want.

Unfairly_Banned_2021

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Unfairly_Banned_2021

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:35 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
I have no idea who that Q guy is and based on your explanation. I don't wanna know.

Greetings, Nish. Most here just shorthand my name for SCN. But you can call me Supreme Commander Nemesis! Or Vice-Captain, or just SCN. I don't care. biggrin Just don't call me late for dinner.

This guild is an open forum for any kind of RP system. The fact it is called what it is is mostly due to no one can find the keys to the light bulb case. I think, the Ninja Ferret that drives a Ferrari stole them.

DnD past 2ed isn't that hard to learn. 4e is the easiest and most forgiving of the lot, IMO, but that is like comparing cookie dough ice cream to rocky road. I have no experience with 1st or 2. That said, it does have issues, mostly due to a relatively short development time and being released with half what was planned for it, And It's name(Name it Dungeongate, instead of DnD 4th ed, and many of the haters would've been mute.)

Sadly, we have only a few active members and only 2 are willing/able to DM. Due to that, we have one 4e game running at the moment and it is reaching the end of a 6-year run. And currently no word on a sequel.

And a play-by-post 5e game I run on discord. In which one person already dropped out of and 2 others are silent... The original heroes were once prisoners, but were released earlier than planned die to the government needing their skills. Currently, we have the ex-bounty hunter, the ex-town guard turned undead, and the big name wrestling star. The concept was part DarkSun, part Suicide Squad... Then we added players and it evolved. As it should. As said, it isn't 4e but I would be willing to let you in, if you want.

Unfairly_Banned_2021

Thanks, but I can't discord right now, and I won't be able until I can get a phone with a way larger internal memory storage capacity.
Those darn apps' updates, man, they are killing me.
But hey, I'll try to check around here every now and then to see if a new game opens; just a suggestion, it would be easier, I believe, to stay active if you had a hangout sub-forum of sorts. I don't mean like a free-for-all chatterbox, but a place where we could discuss about game stuff. I by instance have a lot of questions, a lot, lot, lot of questions, and nobody to ask them, so I think a hangout section could be useful.
Hey, we could pitch plot ideas, introduce characters, ask for suggestions, perhaps even have a silly meme thread just for fun.
Anyway, thanks for welcoming me, I promise I'll keep the chaotic neutral to the minimum... I'll try... I'll try so hard... biggrin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:48 pm
Unfairly_Banned_2021

We do have the Q&A for Questions, We normally roll characters in a by game base, as each GM has their own rules on character creation. And as for the other ideas, I vaguely remember we had something for them... But, I can't find them. So, I will probably make a few forms for it.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas