Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
4e Discussion: Racial Ability Options for all

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 am
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drag/201103abilities#73590

Wizards finally got around to giving ability score options(like where you can choose between two abilities for one of your stat boosts) to all published races, in addition to the ones offered in the Essentials books and PH3. The article is above, what do you think?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:44 am
It allows for a more focused class/race combination. Definitely nothing wrong with that.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:07 am
Initially, and up to this point, I've been extremely aggravated at the PHB3 races, for the fact that they had better ability options than the rest. They shouldn't have been more versatile, and honestly, I STILL feel like they should have had this very table in PHB3, so the first two could benefit from it.

But now I'm no longer bent out of shape about the PHB3 races, because now it's fair for everyone.

Thanks for the heads up, Arc!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Unfortunately, there's still nothing to suggest a tiefling should ever pick up a sword, unless he's a leader. Or the odd tief-adin  

Arc Vembris
Crew

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm
Arc Vembris
Unfortunately, there's still nothing to suggest a tiefling should ever pick up a sword, unless he's a leader. Or the odd tief-adin
Unless he wants to be a battlemind. I really want to start a paragon game as a tiefling fighter multiclass bard. there's a paragon path that requires you be a bard and any martial class from one dragon issue that lets you sub cha for any physical stat on martial attack powers.

on the topic at hand, I was kinda miffed when I heard these were gonna be in dragon. I have DDI for a little while longer (their content has thinned out lately, i'm not feeling the incentive to keep it up) but it seemed a poor decision. I'm glad they made this free, it's been a long time coming.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:30 pm
Arc Vembris

Isn't Swordmage Int-based? And Ardents are Cha-focused as well.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:50 pm
Rain Yupa
Arc Vembris

I said leader, but you're right about swordmages. It's odd, Tieflings are described as being very direct and more apt to deal damage than play around with their foes, so what do their stats support? "I'm a fairy warlock!" so now(as in, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom) now they get their con bonus so they can be as good an infernal warlock as they are with fey pact and that also synergizes well with swordmage. "I'm a defendy swordmage!" great again.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Arc Vembris
Rain Yupa
Arc Vembris

I said leader, but you're right about swordmages. It's odd, Tieflings are described as being very direct and more apt to deal damage than play around with their foes, so what do their stats support? "I'm a fairy warlock!" so now(as in, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom) now they get their con bonus so they can be as good an infernal warlock as they are with fey pact and that also synergizes well with swordmage. "I'm a defendy swordmage!" great again.
but con comes at the price of int, so they're not as good at infernal pact as fey pact, and they don't synergize as swordmages.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm
Not knowing key abilities yet, it wouldn't surprise me if Tieflings made good Hexblades too.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm
Rain Yupa
Not knowing key abilities yet, it wouldn't surprise me if Tieflings made good Hexblades too.
hexblades are just essentials warlocks. cha and int mostly. tieflings were made for it.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:31 pm
Ah. Clearly I was confused about the tieflings and my entire point is nullified.

Although I remember Hexblades using Charisma and Dexterity  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:23 pm
This excites me quite immensely.

Combined with the fact I've been craving getting back into writing, I may take up D&D again.

Edit: Sadly, after further inspection, it saddens me there's only one race that can do Str/Int, still.

=/  

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas