Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 1:: Guild main forum
Freeganism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Figuren

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 am
Sooo, most of our impact is generated by consumerism. Basically every single purchase we make has a whole tonne of hidden taxes. Even the most responsible choices have some impact for shipping, packaging, etc. This goes for everything, all the food we buy, the clothes, the appliances, technology, every cosmetic or hygienic product. Absolutely everything you buy.
A lot of people make efforts to avoid buying because of this. Some people opt to grow their own food or live in a way that their food can be provided locally, and also make efforts toward reusing more and consuming less. All of this is a good idea. I think every single person should be utilizing the space they have to grow things they can actually use. There is no point in having a lawn of grass when you can just as easily be growing food.

Anyways it also happens that so much waste is generated by the constant demand for new things. Furniture, clothing, and vast amounts of food are thrown away and a lot of people have taken to reclaiming this. I know many people who take no part in buying anything because, simply put, they can survive and thrive without spending a penny on any of these things. Every single grocery store will have a "sell by" date, and if a particular product isn't sold by then, then they throw it out regardless of the condition. This food is wasted, it's not distributed to anyone, and much of the time it's perfectly fine. It may take some discretion but it is no less healthy for you, it's free, and rids you of the burden of creating more waste, and also of buying into exploitative paradigms. Naturally all of this can be applied to anything we need -- furniture, clothing, even tools and other gems.

This is an easy way to save a hell of a lot of money, opt out of consumerism and benefit the planet. If you're in a city, just look around. You may be surprised by what you find. Even smaller towns will provide for you in this respect.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:43 am
Yeah, I try to avoid shopping as massive stores to support local businesses, BUT you have an AMAZING point. I have wanted to try freeganism for some time, but just don't feel ballsy enough. Especially since I'm not usually out when its dark and places close.

And places like walmart have security cameras everywhere >_> ugh, and thats the one place i do pass a lot when I am ot that late... hmmm i wonder when target closes. >_>

EDIT: Perhaps we should make a guild thread where we post pictures of what we find in our freegan escapades?

OH!
This guy is super cool and ive been following him for a while: http://www.freejunkfood.com/

Also, you can find things like ipods and stuff in college dorm dumpsters razz
If you live near a college, go down at the end of the semester smile  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

dragon_of_emry

Shameless Capitalist

10,300 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 am
A great resource for recycling your unwanted but still usable items is The Freecycle Network. Basically, you post the item you would like to give away with instructions telling people how to contact you if they are interested. Here is some info from their website:

Quote:

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,927 groups with 8,252,662 members around the world. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on 'Browse Groups' above the search box. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:52 am
Thats neat! smile
I think frecycling is similar to freeganism but still has major differences. If you want, you could make a thread yourself about it. smile  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Figuren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 pm
That is neat! It is different but even so I think it's relevant here.

Also I think that's an awesome idea. I haven't done too much of it but I'm planning to delve into it more soon, and it'd be awesome to share our adventures (thanks for that link too, that guy seems super cool).  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:32 am
Yesterday afternoon I went driving around with some time to kill and I think I found when the local computer repair shop starts dumping stuff(who can't use free memory?) on Thursday afternoon.

As for everywhere else, pretty much every other rubble bin was empty that I tried, so I'll have to tr again on a Wednesday. razz  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Figuren

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:38 am
There's a 711/pizza place in my town that throws out hot pizzas every hour, on the hour. I don't eat pizza (I's vegan) but I've led a few people over there. There's quite a bit thrown of food out around the grocery stores but it's hard to take much without a vehicle (plus I live on an island across from the town).

I also often get bits of food from my best friend, who eats all organic because where she works they don't throw things out, but let their employees help themselves to food that can't be sold anymore.

Quite a bit in the town, despite its smallish size.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 am
WOah- yeah! Also, if you have a pet- and you find perfectly edible nonvegan foods- you could give it to your dog or cat- while animal products are gross/terrible for you- its prolly a lot better to feed your dog a slice of cheese as a snack than conventional treats...

that said- its great your friend works at a place like that! biggrin  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Happy Raving Hippy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:49 pm
I've actually been freegan before since I used to be homeless (sucked, but it's not horrible if you know your area), and I'd watch the restaurants and what they did with their food at the end of the day (some places would double bag their leftover food then throw it out, like Shipley's, and other's would toss the leftover food in with broken plates and glasses, so you had to be super careful).

Later when I finally got an apartment and worked at a restaurant to pay the bills, every now and then I'd take home the food I was supposed to throw out at the end of the day since it was no longer 'fresh' but besides that, had nothing wrong with it, so it cut my grocery bill in half, using the bread loaves, quiches, potato galettes, rotisserie chickens, and strawberries romanoff (I worked at La Madeleine's for a while).

Freeganism can be an awesome supplement to whatever you eat, but it does have it's toll on you when that's the only way you eat, depending on what it is.  
1:: Guild main forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games