Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
The NSTG Debate Team

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Harry Potter or Twilight?
  Harry Potter
  Twilight
View Results

PebbleDrop856

Devoted Allegiant

9,650 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:36 pm
I decided to start this little thread. This is where we, the members of the NSTG, can debate on the current debate that's here. And now, on to two simple rules:

1. Please follow NSTG rules at all times

2. Please support each others opinion. We are here to express our thoughts, not to bring down other people's.

Every now and then, I will change the debate. Other posts may have been for past debates
Also, feel free to recommend some debates. Just put them at the bottom of one of your posts. Who knows? Maybe your ideas will become one of the debates here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:38 pm
As of February 23, 2011, our debate for now will be:

Harry Potter Vs. Twilight

One of the most common debates ever. What are your thoughts?

PebbleDrop856

Devoted Allegiant

9,650 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

TheChief-5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 pm
Harry Potter, no contest.

The depth in the plot of harry potter is deeper than most may realize. There are small hints and clues slipped into the first book that connect to things revealed in the last one. You can see J.K.'s writing improve as you read the books. She's done a marvelous job of capturing the hearts of not only her target audience, but people of every age. Each character has a history and personality that is beautifully sculpted using even seemingly minor, passive comments. Also, hype only picked up when new books or movies were being released, and they were spaced out enough to prevent over exposure.

Then there is Twilight. For a few years it flew relatively under the radar, then suddenly it exploded like Bieber (whom i frequently pair together because of this.) Let me first address the public image of Twilight. Many people hate the series, one fairly reasonable thing is that sparkling vampires, while rationalized in the book, is hilarious and fairly absurd. The other and more common reason is not because it's "terrible," but it's actually being hit with misguided rage, Most people don't actually hate Twilight, they just hate hearing about it (just like Bieber.) The crazy fans actually bring more hate on the series than it deserves because of their obnoxious obsession. Now that that's out of the way... The books are written rather simply. Their isn't much depth at all. The book is plain and simple. What you see is what you read. There is hardly and foreshadowing or anything. It's a low reading level and fairly amateur writing. The book gives the feel of a preteen equivalent to one of those "smut" novels. The story is moderately melodramatic, but it's not really a "bad" book. it's just not really deserving of the level of limelight it's receiving. The movies are much less girly than the books. it shouldn't be hard for the boyfriend to sit through it. It's easier than watching most chick flicks, i mean come on- there are fight scenes with werewolves n stuff. That's gotta count for something right?

I feel like explaining why a guy has read the books and such. I had a few friends who were reading the book and i saw many others who were reading it as well, so i got curious. (this was before the hype) I read the first book and figured it was ok. I read the second because i was bored. After i finished that, the movie was announced at the explosion happened. at that point it became less of a time killer and more for having a legitimate opinion. I saw the first movie because my sister rented it for me because she thought i liked it, i watched it to be polite and also for the same reason as finishing the books.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:25 pm
I have to agree with Chief with Harry Potter. I read most of the books for selfish reasons (HP books=big points for winning a contest). But I soon enjoyed them and wanted to read more so I can't stop reading them. Before I read the books, I was NEVER a fan to magical fiction but they changed the way I look into that genre. I've only read the first book of Twilight because I watched the movie first and honestly, I've read way better vampire books (like Cirque du Freak). Her vampire look went way off the classic blood-sucking monsters, especially the Sparkling. It's my opinion but I prefer it when vampires sizzle and smoke under the sun. The only reason most fans adored it is the movie and the actors in it.  

Deadl0ck3d

Dapper Gekko

6,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

PebbleDrop856

Devoted Allegiant

9,650 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm
Harry Potter all the way. But, I don't think that I can judge between the two seeing as I never read the Twilight books. But, still. Harry Potter is an amazing series. I was sad to see it end, but the ending was a great way to wrap up the entire series.
Anyways, no book can compete with Harry Potter. I did read a little of the first book of the Twilight series, but I really wasn't that interested.
Also, Harry Potter makes it so realistic. You have these young teenagers facing so many problems. But some of these problems were problems that normal teenagers faced. This was an aspect I liked about the series. Especially the sixth book. It showed that these wizards are normal kids with special qualities and abilities. Mixing real-life and magic. Amazing job J.K. Rowling.
I think this is up for my review. Harry Potter lives on, even if the series ended. The best series ever!  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games