Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:35 pm
Marmite. Growing up in America I had never heard of the stuff until I went to Spain in high school and our British tour guide nearly cried when he ran out of it. I've never tasted it, but it seems like the kind of stuff you either love, hate, or have never ever heard of. I remembered it recently because I mentioned it to a friend who's from Scotland and his response was, "Yay Marmite!"

And so the endless discussion continues. Marmite. Friend? Foe? Or do you think I'm talking about some kind of small fuzzy mammal?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:46 pm
Ah yes, Yeast Extract spread. I believe it was initially a byproduct of brewing. It's a condiment, kinda like peanut butter, or mayo. You don't want to be out of it, especially if you use it regularly. I personally have never tried it though.  

Oddplume

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 am
Vegemite is the way to go! It's pretty much the same thing, just a particular brand in Australia. One of those must try things if you ever visit. On toast, or a sayo cracker its yummy smile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:52 am
My grandmother really likes it. I haven't ever tried it, so I can't say whether I like it or not. It sounds kind of gross, but I would like to try it at least once. I don't eat a lot of bread (and therefore, I don't really need spread very often), so I've never tried Nutella, either. >_>  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 pm
Yeah it looks icky to me...and knowing what it's made of is like...bleh! But I do want to try it sometime.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:39 pm
The fact that it's yeast extract doesn't gross me out, really. A lot vegetarian/vegan foods are made of nutritional yeast.

That said, I don't find many (if any) of them very appetizing. xD  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

YunieCookie

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:11 pm
Yeah, it really doesn't sound very tasty to me >__>

Also, I learned the other day that if you hit Marmite with a spoon, it turns from brown to white (after, like, half an hour, but still).  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 am
Marmite? Nah. Never even tried it. As an Aussie I am a loyal and "happy little vegemite!" As a kid mum used to make me "tiger toast" which is where you spread vegemite on your slice of toast then cut a slice of cheese into three or four strips (hence the "tiger" name) then grill it to melt the cheese (although you could have it unmelted if you wanted).Oh, yum. Now I'm craving it. I know what I'll be having for breaky tomorrow morning!  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

penned ignorance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:24 am
My ex boyfriend is British, and he absolutely loves the stuff. He used to have marmite sandwiches all the time, and finally I decided to try it to see what it was all about. Probably the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. Tastes like salt and bitter all at once. I suppose if you've grown up with it, it wouldn't be so bad. However, it's like you guys said, it really is one of those things you either love or hate... no middle ground there. Ugh... it was bad... he always used to eat the sandwiches for lunch and then he'd have marmite breath for the next hour. Grossed out. I dunno... his whole family loves it, but I found it to be pretty nasty.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 pm
xd See? This is why I made a thread, because people always seem to have a strong opinion one way or the other...or have never tried it.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 am
Marmite sounds like an insect to me, perhaps a relative of termites. xd

That being said, I love yeast flakes and spike seasoning on popcorn. heart  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 am
That's the name of one of the new 151 pokemon, right? biggrin  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:18 pm
Jaft
That's the name of one of the new 151 pokemon, right? biggrin

If not, it damn well should be. x3

Edit:
What a Marmite may look like.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"TRAINER used MARMITE. Go, MARMITE. MARMITE used TOAST attack. It's super effective!"  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm
I know of marmite, but I have never tried it or seen it in person, I think... sweatdrop  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:21 am
I don't think I've ever heard of it before. Now I want to find it just so I can try it =x
I've eaten many odd things, so... It sounds odd, but so does eating bull testicles *shrug*

If I ever go to Australia, someone is buying me vegemite =<

Marmite sounds like... A Pokemon, something used to fix cars, a relative of the marmoset, or a marsupial termite. I can't even think of what a marmoset is right now, just that it's an animal and I think it might have a long tail sweatdrop  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff