Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
What do you think about my school's grading policy?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:56 pm
Ah, a new semester has begun. I just read the grading policy just now and thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

Quote:
'A' level work is work that is considered to be of a professional level and with out any errors.

'B' level work is above average and with out any perspective, structure or proportional errors yet there may be some errors or lacking in one or two but not three of the following categories: Design, Texture/Detail, Line Quality or Composition. Drawings that show perspective errors can not be classed as 'B' level work. 'B' level work exceeds standards and norms as described in the assignments descriptions.

'C' level work is work that demonstrates an understanding in all of the criteria yet is not of a professional or above average grade. 'C' level is mostly accurate in perspective with few errors. 'C' level work is considered very good and highly competent student level work. 'C' level work is required on all assignments to pass the class.

'D' Level work is considered below average and demonstrates multiple errors in Perspective, Structure and or Proportion and a general misuse or sloppy application of; Design, Texture/Detail Line Quality or Composition.

'F' Level work shows a total misunderstanding of most all criteria.

Add to that the fact that late work is an automatic F, that will be replaced when you turn it in (within that week).You lose a letter grade for turning in late work and you are only allowed 3 lates. Anything after 3 keeps the F, no matter how great it is.

The vocal minority here are or have been art students, but the majority of people in AD and PP have no idea how standards work in academia. So, what do you think of the grading policy?

For those of us that aren't/haven't been art students:

Do you find it unfair? A little harsh, but understandable? Is it just right? Not strict enough?Explain why you feel that way.

For those of us that are/have been art students:

Are/were your grading policies similar? More lax? More strict? How do you think the grading policy reflects on the culture of the school and the quality of the graduates?

For those of us that plan to go to an art university:

What are your expectations as far as your own performance and grades go? If you're currently studying art in high school, how prepared do you think you are for the change in academic culture? What's your end game?

Has anyone transfered to an art university or changed majors to art from something else? Compare the standards and expectations. (I'm particularly interested.)

And of course, anyone who isn't studying or planning to study art, but loves it just the same, share your university experience. What program are you in? What are the expectations? What are you feelings on strict performance policies in relation to your education

What do letter grades represent to you?

And here is where we get to be totally honest with ourselves. If the last artwork you created were to be graded by this policy, what would you have gotten? Why do you think that is?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:17 pm
It certainly is harsh by academic standards, but I definitely understand where it's coming from. I had a perspective teacher last semester that graded our stuff basically in that format.

If anything, I think of it as preparation for the real thing when we get out there and find jobs. No one's looking for a sub-par, "c, d" artist. As art students, we should be nearing "professional" quality anyway; since, reality is, we'll be joining the workforce in a few short years. Being late with hand-ins in a job is also completely inexcusable, and a fire-able offense. 3 lates are pretty lenient if you ask me.

I'm most likely a "C" by that grading policy.  

Quvi

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:04 am
Quvi
It certainly is harsh by academic standards, but I definitely understand where it's coming from. I had a perspective teacher last semester that graded our stuff basically in that format.

If anything, I think of it as preparation for the real thing when we get out there and find jobs. No one's looking for a sub-par, "c, d" artist. As art students, we should be nearing "professional" quality anyway; since, reality is, we'll be joining the workforce in a few short years. Being late with hand-ins in a job is also completely inexcusable, and a fire-able offense. 3 lates are pretty lenient if you ask me.

I'm most likely a "C" by that grading policy.
Well, if you fail every student who turns in a late assignment, you'll have no students and the school makes no money.

I think the idea is that you start as a C student and over time and through dedication and hard work, become an A student. If you graduate as a C student, then you are leaving the school with the skills of a student rather than stepping out as a capable professional.

This is perspective class actually. I failed it already with a D. I did get A's and B's, but I stopped doing work all together and late work ended up as Ds and I didn't bother to do more than 50% of the work at all. I got near perfect scores on all quizzes and a strong participation grade for discussions. That's the only reason I didn't have an F. This time, I'm trying to go for that B. Draftsmanship is a weak point of mine.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:43 pm
Perspective teachers are so a**l about everything scream

I didn't get a good grade in the class, either.  

Quvi

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 pm
Quvi
Perspective teachers are so a**l about everything scream

I didn't get a good grade in the class, either.
He just posted typical, average work.

That blows mine out of the water. FUUUUUUUU  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm
Quote:
Criteria for this Assignment

Application of Theory:

Work demonstrates very complex and accurate plotting of structural and visual elements based on a 120-degree isometric grid.

All lines on the same axis remain parallel.

No diminution or convergence is evidenced in the work.

Design and Composition:

A variety of interesting and complex design shapes are included in the drawing.

A variety of curvilinear and straight-edged shapes are included in the design to create visual interest and contrast.

Overlapping shapes are utilized in the design to suggest spatial depth.
Design is interesting and complex.

Details applied add authenticity to the scene and enhance the storytelling.

A variety of visual textures are evidenced to create dimension, depth, weight, and form.

The proportions and scale are consistent among elements.

Placement of elements is well considered. Design is balanced, avoids tangents (contour lines that touch, thus decreasing the illusion of depth), and has effective eye flow.

Line Quality:

A variety of thick and thin lines are accurately utilized to further indicate spatial depth.

Heavy, thick lines are used for foreground objects or areas of emphasis.

Light, thin lines are used to suggest forms farther away.

Interior lines of forms are lighter and thinner than exterior lines of forms.

Architectural forms have consistent line weight, while naturalistic forms (such as people, fabric, trees, etc.) have variation in line weight.
Thank god for rubrics. (And it seems only my foundations classes have them.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Bulbasauurr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am
Heyyy. We have the exact same grading system. : D

Wait, we are in the same program, right?

Anyways...

Do you find it unfair? A little harsh, but understandable? Is it just right? Not strict enough? I find it fair. I guess I can understand why they would want us to put in such high amounts of effort. The art world seems really demanding (from what I've seen... I'm still a n00b) and it would make sense that they would try and prepare us for the most uptight critic on every assignment.

(I've only taken analysis of form, so I guess these questions apply to me in some way...)
For those of us that plan to go to an art university:

What are your expectations as far as your own performance and grades go? If you're currently studying art in high school, how prepared do you think you are for the change in academic culture? What's your end game?
I'm not entirely sure what my expectations are when it comes to my performance. The grade I ended up getting in analysis of form was a C, which was pretty hard for me to take considering I was an A student in highschool and am a complete perfectionist. I think I'm not quite prepared for art college quite yet, which is why I chose to take this semester off... to study as much art as I can before going back to art school.

What do letter grades represent to you? I'm not really sure, once I sit down and think about it. I think the first thing that comes to mind is... letter grades represent the amount of skill I currently have.

And here is where we get to be totally honest with ourselves. If the last artwork you created were to be graded by this policy, what would you have gotten? Why do you think that is? Definitely a D or something. I just started figure drawing... and I'm not so great. I'm sure any experienced artist could easily find all sorts of errors in my last 20-minute study.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 pm
I find it pretty harsh but I am not an art student. I guess maybe I just find it harsh because I'm obsessed with getting good grades but since I think (correct me if I'm wrong) grades don't impact your future career outside of school for art and it is mostly about honing your skills and making connections in the industry, the grading policy is fine. I really want to take an art class or two at my university but I am scared their grading will be like this! I absolutely cannot afford to get a C and I would be lowering my gpa with a B so I don't want to risk it sweatdrop  

ahiru_chan

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff