Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Scam question (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kihetai oni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:24 pm
Hi, apparently I nearly got scammed. I was at Gold Beach in zOMG and Username Removed by Eternal Rebellion said he was selling a sharktooth grin for 200k and he was selling it at that price because it was a New Year. So I said I'd buy it and he asked me to make a trade. Then the people at Gold Beach told me it was a scam. I believe he actually did have the sharktooth grin but I don't understand how I'd get scammed through the trade, can someone explain?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm
Some of the Gaian items may look a like to other items in a trade.

The most popular one people get mixed up with is the Winter Rose and the White Poinsettia Hairpiece. They look a like but they are different in prices. Scammers use this to their advantage by going around saying that they have this high price item and can give it to you for a steal.

So you pay for the price of this item and get what looks to be a Winter rose but really is a White Poinsettia Hairpiece. Scaming you out of thousands of gold.  

Twilight Afternoon

Fashionable Regular

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

kihetai oni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:42 pm
Ok. I'm also wondering when the trader makes the a trade with you (and hasn't made the "OK") and then I put my items/gold up for trade and give the "OK", can the trader change his/her trade items/gold and press the "OK" so that the trade is accepted instantly even though he's changed the trade items/gold?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:56 pm

If they change the items or content of the trade, you would need to see and confirm it before it would go through. He would not be able to swap items out and auto-confirm it- though it's always a good idea to only accept once and wait for him to switch over to 'OK' before you accept, regardless.

Make sure, before confirming, that you hover your mouse over the item and verify it's name. If it's anything but what was promised, report the scam immediately.

Daypaw

Hardened Member

kihetai oni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:57 pm
Ok, I feel secure with trading now. Thank you for your help. mrgreen  
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items