Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Deadlands, Tales from the Weird West. Who's played it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:13 pm
Title says it all. I've heard good stuff about it, never played it though. So who has and do you have any good tales? Also looking for anyone interested in running it. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:22 am
It's an interesting game, has the standard 90s-era "belief of outsiders affects gameplay" sort of thing, and it's a fun exploration of a fantasy western. I can't speak to the system as I played Deadlands d20, which was not a great d20 system product, it was admittedly an early release.

Here's a tip: don't let a shaman cast the D&D spell Heat Metal on a guy's bullet belt.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:24 am
I'm in a deadlands reloaded campaign in my IRL group. it uses the savage worlds system and it's both a great setting and fun system to run. I'm not sure how you'd do the card drawing mechanics on gaia, but if you cn hack it it's a great game to get in touch with your inner clint eastwood.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:32 am
You'd have to mark out each card with a number and use the random number generator.

I'd probably go in suits, with like, ace of diamonds as 1 and king as 13, then say, ace of spades as 14 and king of spades as 26 and so on till you hit 52 (52 if you're using jokers).

Unless you wanted to make it really random, then you get yourself a real deck, shuffle, and deal, marking each card as it comes out.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:08 am
Raganui Minamoto
You'd have to mark out each card with a number and use the random number generator.

I'd probably go in suits, with like, ace of diamonds as 1 and king as 13, then say, ace of spades as 14 and king of spades as 26 and so on till you hit 52 (52 if you're using jokers).

Unless you wanted to make it really random, then you get yourself a real deck, shuffle, and deal, marking each card as it comes out.

This will be painfully cumbersome if you can only generate one number per post, maybe you could do a post of d4 rolls followed by a post of d12 rolls for as many cards as you need to draw. I know a suit is 13 cards, but . . . I dunno, just a thought.

Deadlands seems like an excellent setting to drop into any versatile system. D20 Modern would do a far better job than the Deadlands d20 game, although card drawing will be tricky online, unless you can simply trust the DM.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:40 am
True. I'd have to say that the easiest way would be to just have the DM handle it. There are programs you could probably get for it.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:23 pm
It's one of those mechanics that would be real fun at the table, but really not worth the effort over pbp, not unlike the card decks in Gamma World.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games