Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Resources
The Gaian Dictionary: Common Gaian Words and Acronyms! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:26 pm
Updated and Revised on 1/17/09. [~KK62]
Updated/Revised 11/25/13 [Day]
Updated/Revised on 6/9/2016 [Joy]
Post here if you think something should be added!

A

AAY: Frequently used in forum games, this acronym means "avatar above you." So, for instance, if a thread said to "Rate the AAY," you should rate the avatar of the user who last posted (this makes theirs the avatar above yours when you post).
AB: A Gaia Exchange Forum term, AB means "autobuy." The AB price is the price that you can pay to automatically buy the item being sold.
Admin: Basically, the admins run gaia. They make events, add new features to Gaia, and all together OWN Gaia.
Affiliate: An establishment associated with another establishment. They generally post advertisements for each other. User-run shops and guilds are two examples of establishments that often have affiliates.
AP: Asking Price. This is generally used in the Gaia Exchange Forum.
Auction: An auction on gaia is where a member sells their items in a Thread in the Gaia Exchange Forum.
Avatar: Your avatar is your little person for your account. You can change it by going to various stores for items, and equipping them in your profile, as well as changing its pose.

B

B or b: Billion (as in billions of gold). Prices of expensive items are given in billions, or even fractions of a billion (0.02 b = 20 million or 20,000,000)
: In the Gaia Exchange Forum, this means "buying." Users who are looking to buy a certain item will usually create thread titles such as "Bunny Slippers."
BBCode: BBCode is the code used to make your text different, by color, font size, and styles, like the following: texttexttext
Blacklists: Some threads and events have Blacklists. A blacklist is a list of people who are not wanted in a thread, or are not allowed to participate in an event. This is usually result of bad behavior.
Bot: Botting is when you use a program to get gold without having to be at your computer. Botting is a bannable offense.
Bump: A post used to bring the topic to the top of a forum, so the topic is seen by more people. (Whenever a topic is posted in, it goes to the top of the forum until another topic is posted in.)

C

Charity: A charity is a group of one or more people who are kind enough to help people out by donating gold or items.
Chatterbox: A thread where people can chat about anything reasonable, it doesn't have to be related to one thing or another. Its basically a place for people to hang out with other Gaians.
Choob: A Gaian who is not actually new, but pretends to be a new player (often by dressing up in things like peasants clothing) in order to get donations.
CI: Chance Item is an item that can be found in your Special tab of your inventory, and when you "use" it, you take a chance because you don't know what item you will get. Also known as a Random Item Generator or RIG.

D

Domo: It means "thank you" in Japanese, as well as the name of a Japanese television mascot. This was previously an emoticon on Gaia that has been removed.
Donate: To donate is to give someone gold for nothing in exchange. To donate to someone you send a trade but do not receive anything in return, or you use the gifting system.

E

Emoticon/Emote: The smilies you can can use when you post are called Emoticons. They are located between the BBC options and the main body section where you input text when creating a new post.

F

Flamer: One who makes inflammatory remarks. These remarks fall short of a coherent argument, as the flamer seeks to simply attack the thread containing something he/she finds disagreeable, or to provoke a negative response.
Forum: A forum is a list of threads. The Chatterbox is an example of a forum.
Fishing: A popular ''game'' on gaia. To fish, go to the map, go up one, and click on the house. buy a rod and some bait there, then click on the lake to fish. Keep the bobber between the red lines to get the fish; it reels in automatically.
FTW: "For the win." It generally emphasizes something mentioned in your post. If there were a war between Coco and Kiki kitties, and you liked Coco best, you might say "Coco FTW!"

G

GDer: Someone who frequents to General Discussion Forum. GDers have a reputation of flaming noobs, so the GD is not an appropriate forum for anyone stuck on chatspeak.
Gold: Gold is the unit of currency on gaia; money. It's used to buy clothing for your avatar, and to exchange between Gaians for things like art, or pets.
Gonk: Used as a noun, it generally describes someone perceived as stupid. As an emoticon, it is used as a supplement in awkward situations or situations gone awry. Used as a verb, it typically refers to the act of hitting someone across the head. Also works as an onomatopoeia.
God Moding: When someone is Role Playing, and they make their character invincible, or refuse to take damage or hits when RPing. Can also be applied to someone auto-hitting another character or taking control of them in some way without the permission of the characters writer.

H

Hacker: Someone who finds your password by some means and takes gold or items from your account.
Hidden: 'Hidden' is a profile setting that it does not allow the viewing of online status.

I

Ink: An item gotten by trading in large numbers of Bugs from Gaia Towns. Used to color bouquets at the flower shop and to create tattoos at Skin Tyte.

J

Join Date: This is the date you joined Gaia. To view your join date, go to "My Gaia" (drop-down menu) --> "Account" --> Preferences --> Registered (change status to "yes") --> "My Gaia" (drop-down menu) --> "My Profile" and view your join date! Your profile will now display the date you registered from now on. To hide the date, change your Registered to "no."

K

K: 1,000. If a user says they need "3k" to complete his/her quest, it means 3,000 gold is still needed.
Kin or Kindred: Creatures used in the Lake Kindred battle game.

L

LK: Lake Kindred, a battle game where persistence can be rewarded with gold and items.

M

M or m: Million (as in a million gold). Prices of some items are given in millions of gold (3m = 3,000,000g)
Moderator: A moderator is a user that has the power to edit and delete posts, and to ban members. A guild moderator (commonly called a "Crew member") can do the same thing, but only within the guild.
Monthly Collectible: A special item received for donating to Gaia. Formerly known as donation items.
Mule: A separate account on gaia which most users use for storage purposes. Mules have also been used by Moderators and Administrators for purposes of being able to walk around Gaia [post, fish] without being known as a mod/admin.
MMORPG: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. It's a game that connects to the internet and you play with people all over the country/world. Examples: World of Warcraft, Runescape, ect.

N

Newb: A new person to Gaia (or anything else for that matter)
Noob or N00b: A noob is NOT the same as a newb. A noob is a person who acts foolishly, does not usually spell correctly, and acts as though he or she is better than everyone else without giving reasons to justify such.
NPC: Non-player character. NPCs aren't actual users; rather, they are controlled by Gaia and generally complement the Gaia storyline and share information and announcements. [NPC] Rina, [NPC] Elizabeth, and [NPC] Cindy Donovinh are all examples of Gaia NPCs.

O

OC: Original Character, one used in role play or as a reference for original artwork.
OP: Original Post or Original Poster, the first post of a thread or the person who made that post.
OTL/orz: An emoticon used to signify defeat; the letters form the shape of a person on their hands and knees with their head to the floor.
Owned/Pwned: Someone says this when they have defeated someone else verbally, or RPing-wise, basically means to have utterly crushed.

P

Paws: Animal avatars, smaller than regular or "human" avatars, and requiring items made specifically for that base alone.
Pawstamp: Icon on items that are only useable by animal avatars.
Profile: Your profile is where you can change things about your account, such as what your avatar is wearing, and adding a signature to your post.
Pinklink: A pinklink is a rare event, where a particular link shows up bordered in pink, and when you click on it, you get 1000 gold. However, clicking the link rarely works for me, so i go to the bottom of the page and click "If you cannot find your event, click here". it tends to be safer.

Q

Quest: 1. A quest is when a user is saving up for a particular item. On a proper quest, the user spends gold on nothing else until they get the item. To start a quest, make a thread in the Charity/Quests Forum saying what your questing for, how much gold you need, and how much gold you have. If people donate also put their names there and how much they donated. 2. A quest can also be for an item (usually promotional), offered by Gaia. Usually these quests involve speaking to an NPC, watching a trailer for an upcoming movie, or (in zOMG) delivering an item or defeating a monster.

R

Rare Event: An event that results in a free trunk or giftbox of some sort. Such an event will be marked by a box floating across your screen which must be clicked.
RIG: Random Item Generator is an item that can be found in your Special tab of your inventory, and when you "use" it, you get a random item. Also known as a CI or Chance Item.
RP/Roleplay: RP stands for Role playing. Some RPs have themes which could be any anime/manga/books/TV shows/movies you may or may not know and possibly "Adventure RPs or "Forest RPs" . You can choose a character to be, and try to stay IC which means In character.

S

: In the Gaia Exchange Forum, this means "selling." Users who are trying to sell an item will usually create thread titles such as " Coco Kitty."
Scammer: Someone who lies so they can rip you off, or who asks for your password so they can steal gold from your account.
Sealed or Sealed Envelope: A letter originally obtained through a donation to Gaia which becomes a thank you letter on the fifteenth of the month.
Sticky: A sticky is a topic that is edited by a moderator to permanently be at the top of a forum, under any announcements that forum may have.
Subforum: A subforum is a smaller forum within a forum, that focuses on one thing, for example, the exchange forum (for selling items) has a subforum for selling, and a subforum for posting items you want.
Signature: A signature is the pictures or text that goes under a persons post whenever they post. You can edit or make your signature by going to your profile and clicking "edit Profile".

T

TekTek: www.tektek.org was a site where people could make dream avatars to post as a quest, or get profile themes, and other good stuff. It has been shut down.
Thank You Letter: An envelope containing a monthly collectible.
Thread: A thread is a particular topic, like the ones you can make by clicking "New Topic." People can post and talk to each other in threads.
TL;DR: "Too Long; Didn't Read" is generally a brief summary at the end of a lengthy post.
[T/O: Trade/Offer (used in the Exchange by sellers looking for offers on their items in either other items or gold)
Trading Pass: This is a pass that allows you to send items to other users and vice versa. It also allows you to buy and sell items in the Marketplace. It costs 500 gold, and is available at the Bank. Note, this is not a vending pass.
Troll: A person who intentionally starts arguments within forums or threads for self-amusement. They are disruptive and often offensive, usually to a specific person they target. Trolls are unwelcome and disliked on Gaia.
Trunk: A trunk, also known as the Enchanted trunk, is another rare event. It shows up floating across your screen. Click it, and then go to your profile and Inventory, it'll show there. Click it to open it to see what rare item you received from it.

U

V

Vend: Use the Marketplace, especially to buy items that are priced low and selling them for more than you paid.
Vending Pass: A vending pass refers to a former feature in which a pass was required to sell on the marketplace in addition to the regular trading pass. It cost 1,000g and was available from the bank before vending function was included with the Trading Passes currently available.

W

Woot: A word commonly used on the Internet, basically a happy exclamation, like "Yay!"

X

Y

Z

zOMG: 1. Gaia's battle system. It developed fatal flaws in the coding and has been permanently removed from Gaia.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:59 pm
Acronym References
AAY: Avi Above You
AB: Autobuy Price
AFK: Away-From-Keyboard
AP: Asking Price
ASL: Age, Sex, Location - Usually asked by people interested in you.
ATB: All The Best
Avi/Avvy/Avie: Avatar (the little character you dress up)
BRB: Be Right Back
BTK: Back To Keyboard (AFK and BTK are also names of popular hats on Gaia)
BTW: By the way
BUMP: Bring Up My Post
G2G/GTG: Got To Go
GTFO: Get the ******** Out
IC: In character
IMO: In my opinion
IRL: In Real Life
LOL: Laugh Out Loud
LMAO: Laughing My A** Off
MC: Monthly Collectible
MMORPG: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game
NPC: Non-Player Character
OC: Original Character (used in RP's when you are making a new character it is called a OC)
OMFG: Oh My F***ing God
OMG: Oh My God/Gosh
OOC: Out Of Character (used in RP's when you are talking for real, not speaking as your character)
ORLY: Oh Really?
PM: Private Message
ROFL: Rolling On Floor Laughing
ROFLMAO: Rolling On Floor Laughing My A** Off
RPG: Role Playing Game
SPAM: Stupid-Pointless-And-Meaningless
STFU: Shut The-F*** Up
ToS: Terms of Service
TTYL: Talk To You Later
WTB:Want to buy
WTF: What The F***
WTS:Want to sell
WTT:Want to trade
YRLY:Yes, really...
ZOMG: OMG with a "Z" sound  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:48 pm
If you see a gaian term thats not on there, or you need a definition for, feel free to post it, I'll get it up there.

22/11/06 (joby) - Added Monthly Collectible

12/04/07(Youka-chan) - Added Several Acronyms  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:46 am
Maybe under T you should add "Thread" because when I first joined way back when, I had no idea what that was. sweatdrop whee  

[~McNugget~]

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:43 am
Ok, done.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:22 pm
What about adding some of the places here? Like on the map.
And how about putting up pinklinks and trunks and lotteries and stuff? 'Cause I'm not entirely sure what these are.  

Myrenna

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:23 pm
Myrenna
What about adding some of the places here? Like on the map.
And how about putting up pinklinks and trunks and lotteries and stuff? 'Cause I'm not entirely sure what these are.
Two minutes, I'll get some of these up.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 pm
Just wondering what it means, you don't have to add it to the list or anything but I have noticed a lot of people saying the word pwn. Would you please tell me what it means?

Thanks for your time,
Ni  

Ni`s Mood Rings

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:48 am
Ni`s Mood Rings
Just wondering what it means, you don't have to add it to the list or anything but I have noticed a lot of people saying the word pwn. Would you please tell me what it means?

Thanks for your time,
Ni
Its "own" deliberately mispelled.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:16 am
Should you add terms like flamers and trolls?
I know this guild is here so nobody ever has to see those words, but maybe just to be safe, so nobody has to ask what they are, and then get flamed for it anyway?
I'm sorry, I'm prone to rambling.... sweatdrop

Oh, and sub-forums, maybe?  

Fren

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:14 pm
Fren
Should you add terms like flamers and trolls?
I know this guild is here so nobody ever has to see those words, but maybe just to be safe, so nobody has to ask what they are, and then get flamed for it anyway?
I'm sorry, I'm prone to rambling.... sweatdrop

Oh, and sub-forums, maybe?
ok, in a minute  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:17 pm
I didn't mean to bother you... sweatdrop  

Fren

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:48 pm
Fren
No problem! If i was that short tempered, would i be running a newbie assistance guild?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:11 pm
DarkElf27
Fren
No problem! If i was that short tempered, would i be running a newbie assistance guild?

Meh-heh...God Point.... sweatdrop
You are a saint!  

Fren

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:48 am
Fren
DarkElf27
Fren

Meh-heh...God Point.... sweatdrop
You are a saint!
???  
☆ Resources

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out