Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Break- a game. By Thhartokk. Better than the last one. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

serketcity

Friendly Prophet

6,750 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:21 pm
Break

Another stupid d6-based game from the guy who tried to bring you Dive into the Sky.
This one’s better, I swear.

Break is about breaking rules. All of them. All the time. Even the game mechanics rules.
That’s the fun part. But we’ll get to that in a minute. First, the… preliminary mechanics.

Stats and Traits
You have 6- the first 5 are Brawn, Agility, Wits, Smarts, and Charm. We’ll get to the last one in a moment.
Brawn- physical strength. Think Str+Con. Determines HP, kinda.
Agility- physical speed. Dex. Used for things that need speed.
Wits- mental speed. Think Wis. Used for “practical” thinking.
Smarts- mental strength. Think Int, book smarts.
Charm- social stuff. Cha. Used for talky things.
______ - other. A generic term for this stat would be willpower, but you know what? ******** that. Call it whatever you want. My group calls it chutzpah, which basically means audacity. Others call it inner strength, insanity, personality, etc. In essence, this is what makes your character tick, boiled down to a stat. Something that they can focus on and take strength in. For Spiderman it might be “duty,” while for Shinji Ikari it might be “fear.” That kind of thing.

You have 14 points to distribute, with a minimum of 1 per stat. Human average is 2, in case you were wondering. You can keep points for later, and just might want to. (see below)

THEEEN there’s Traits. Think Skills. You get a benefit of +1 on rolls when using whatever trait you feel is necessary, unless it’s really broad (better than a stat) or really specific (worse than a stat), in which case you get +½ benefit or +2, respectively. There’s no list because no list exists. Pick something that helps define the character, like the 6th stat above. Spiderman might have the usual boring ranks of “Use Web” and “Climb,” While Shinji might have the slightly more interesting skills of “Piloting (EVA)” and “Ball up and Cry.” I really mean there is no limit on these things. Besides 10 points to spend on them. Go wild.

Combat and Other necessary things.
Just about every roll will be 1d6+stat+trait+modifiers (which will come up only if mentioned.)
There is no meaningful interaction between objects beyond what is logical, so no weird rule exploits like Peasant Railgun. Unless, of course, there are.
HP equals 10+twice Brawn. You pass out at zero and die/become permanently injured at negative Brawn. Combat itself is opposed Agility checks, with damage being the difference between the rolls. I guess there might be armor that gives AC or something but that’s weird so we won’t start with that.

So what’s the sell, jack? Why am I gonna play this game instead of, say, real D&D?
Well the Breaks, of course. They work kind of like Heroism points, only about ninety times more awesome. You keep track of that on your sheet, too. But you probably want to know what they do, exactly.
Well, they break things. ANYTHING. In a normal game, you find a locked door, where the key’s in the basement of the evil dungeon of whatever and you have to go get it? Just spend a Break, and the door’s open. Want to roll 2d6, change the DC? Spend a Break. It’s yours. Decide that you don’t like the NPC’s name, race, or hair color? Spend a Break, and oh snap, Snethoril Demonbow, the elf becomes Stephen Colbert, human comedian. Yeah.
And the best part? Every time you spend a break, you get two more Breaks three posts later. So, chances are, you won’t run out. Ever.
Now there are some limitations. Some things don’t break, such as Gaia TOS and fundamental laws of grammar. This is subject to my approval as the guy running the game, and if I don’t like it but you try it anyway you lose your Break. Not typically a bit deal, though.
Second, I might Fix things. Fixes are like Breaks for me, except I only undo what is broken. I get 2 every time I use 1, etc. Fixed things can't be broken again, except by a
Breaking Points are the last thing I need to mention. Remember when I said save some trait/stat points? The more you save, the less quickly this thing happens. Fluff wise, this is a mental breakdown. Crunch wise, you get one unbreakable break... and have to live with it. I can't fix it. It will have some drawbacks. You have to use it as soon as you reach it, and it supercedes all other rules. This can break the game for good. It can mess up other characters, etc, dark and forbidden power, blah blah blah. You can, as an alternative, choose to immediately die (no Breaking this death) instead of living with the repurcussions, effectively undoing the Breaking Point. The Breaking Point is determined based on Your Sixth Stat plus any unused trait points +3, after which I roll in secret to determine if you hit the point.

Now, that's the whole damn system, so let's do some fluff!

Mr. Exposition
There really isn't much to this. You are Ordinary High School Students who happen to possess the power of the gods themselves, but only when you stay true to the spirit inside yourself.[/moral]
You can be whatever the hell you want to be. Anything. A human, a robot, a dorf, goblin, anything. This school is as accepting as it is mellow. Except for the part where you're all friends because you're part of the school's local gang, the Name Undecideds. That's where this picks up, the day of a big fight between schools, during class.

AAAAAND for characters, I just need a name, the stats, traits, and appearance, preferably in a quote-block like the plot was.
As for rules, I'd write some up but you'd just break them, so none in particular.
THIS IS A SILLY GAME. If you play it right, it ends up a bit like Gurren Lagann mixed with Full Metal Panic. Or it could be whatever the hell you want. Go for it. Have fun. Make it fun. I'm not really in charge, and certainly won't be after the first few posts. So go wild.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 pm
Firstly, I hate you for linking up TvTropes without warning. I'll be back in an hour or so to finish up that post.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 pm
I'm in.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 pm
i might be in. how exactly do traits work, do you split the 14 points between them and stats, do you just call as many as you deem appropriate for your character to have, or did you leave something out?

also could you clarify the breaking point, what triggers it? you seem to describe how you come to some upper limit, but then what?  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:10 pm
Also what exactly is the breaking point...? Is it a break the player invents, or you invent? If it's one we invent can't it just be something small like "my blue shirt is now red"? What makes it any different than a normal break other than it can't be fixed?

Still, I'm interested. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:06 pm
I really had hoped that DitS would have worked, I liked my guy.

So yea, I'm interested here. Got a couple ideas too.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:22 pm
So, let me see if I have this right. We have 14 points to spend for stats, at least 1 each... so if I were to make a slobering berserker, something like this.

Brawn- 5
Agility- 3
Wits- 1
Smarts- 1
Charm- 1
Rage - 3

Now, then the thing is, about traits. Yea, clarify that.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:54 pm
*poke* Thhartokk?  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

serketcity

Friendly Prophet

6,750 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:33 pm
MY BAD, went and started this then left for a week, what was I thinking?

Traits are like Skills. They cannot be distributed amongst stats, they are seperate pools of points. You basically make up skills (we call them Traits, thus the name) such as "Use Rope" or "Rifle Proficiency" to fill in the gaps of not having central classes. These can be as esoteric as you like.

As for the Breaking Point, it's like a regular break only better. I can't Fix it. You will describe what happens, and then I'll post and add something on to that. The only rule I'm following is that it won't directly lead to your death.

Basically, the way i want the Breaks to work (after much thought) is that certain Breaks will cost more points (in Breaks) to actually perform, though most stuff will still cost one. A Breaking point knocks your total back to 1. On the other hand, the Breaking Point can be as impressive as ever.
You get one when I tell you you do, using a formula that is basically 6th stat +unspent trait points +unspent stat points +3 times 3. You cannot use another Break until you spend the Breaking Point.
That's it. Any other questions, ask here, again.

Also, apologies for leaving again.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:05 pm
Thhartokk
Traits are like Skills. They cannot be distributed amongst stats, they are seperate pools of points. You basically make up skills (we call them Traits, thus the name) such as "Use Rope" or "Rifle Proficiency" to fill in the gaps of not having central classes. These can be as esoteric as you like.
my question about traits was how many do we get? we have 14 points for stats, but you never mentioned an upper limit for traits, just how they give bonuses to doing things.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

serketcity

Friendly Prophet

6,750 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:09 pm
My bad.
There is no limit.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:44 pm
Alright, I'll give this a whirl. I imagine this guy as being from some kind of weird crossover between Hackers and a giant robot anime.

Irwin Vanderhuge
Brawn- 1
Agility- 2
Wits- 1
Smarts- 2
Charm- 1
Spiral Power - 7
Traits: Disregarding bullshit, Hax, Mecha piloting, Disrespecting authority, Face Punching, Nut shots  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

loth17

Unforgiving Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:05 pm
question would transforming be something you would need a break point to do or would it be a trait  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:34 pm
i'm in
Imagine a sort of cross between Captain John Price, Sousuke Sagara, and Acererak when he was but a wee child.
Beckett (Beck) Hausler

Brawn- 1
Agility- 3
Wits- 3
Smarts- 2
Charm- 1
Aim - 4
Traits - Expertise with all rifles sniper +2, Giving Orders +2, Field Tactics +2, Sarcasm +1, Breaking the 4th wall +1/2, Blasphemy +1, Tact +1/2, Knowledge of all mecha anime +1/2, Military skills +1/2  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 pm
Right, let's try for the ten foot tall robot. Name...

D-3

Brawn- 3
Agility- 2
Wits- 2
Smarts- 3
Charm- 1
Computing - 3

Traits: BFG 3, Mechanical Being 2, Paradox Proofing 1, Magboots 1, Flight Thrusters 3

D-3  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces