Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Painting..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EmmaLee2794

6,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 pm
Ive always wanted to try painting, but im scared to move from my realm of comfortability. I mostly deal with pencil, and the camera. Most are "doodles" but i love the detail i can make with a pencil. I want to try painting. Any tips? Is it easier? How much different is it from sketching?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:45 am
Painting is fun and you'd probably enjoy it. Just remember that the basis to creating a nice painting is strong sketch skills. If you don't have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, you'll run into some problems. It doesn't matter how much you polish something or how nice the colors are... if the basic structure is off, the painting will look off.

All that said and done, to start painting, I'd suggest working from a still life. Maybe set up some fruit on a cloth or in a basket and work from that. It won't turn out looking fabulous the first time, but keep at it and keep looking closely at what you're doing. It'll get easier.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

EmmaLee2794

6,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:01 pm
syrella
Painting is fun and you'd probably enjoy it. Just remember that the basis to creating a nice painting is strong sketch skills. If you don't have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, you'll run into some problems. It doesn't matter how much you polish something or how nice the colors are... if the basic structure is off, the painting will look off.

All that said and done, to start painting, I'd suggest working from a still life. Maybe set up some fruit on a cloth or in a basket and work from that. It won't turn out looking fabulous the first time, but keep at it and keep looking closely at what you're doing. It'll get easier.

Its not really the sketch skills im worried about, its the color. i guess itll come with experience, but it worries me lol. I know i wont be perfect. (i see that looking back at my pencil sketches.) I hadnt thought of fruit. lol. How obvious is that?? My pencil sketches are mostly flowers, and nature. (but i guess a fruit is part of nature..) Thank you! :3  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games