Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Resources
Roleplaying Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

stripedsofa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:52 am
Nice post. I was interested in RPing, but I wasn't quite sure how to get started. Thanks for the post  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 pm
woah is it me or am i lost LOL >< your good indeed ^^  

coolguys44

Turquoise Pop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:47 pm
This was SUPER useful! Back in my middle school days I used to take part in tavern-style chatroom RPG's. (And blackberry castle... did anyone know about that a few years ago? It was aimed towards younger kids) I havn't roleplayed in years but I'm interested in starting up again in more slower paced ones. Thanks for all the good advice and know-how! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:48 pm
Oh, this is to apologive for the offensive color I just used in that post, I didn't realize how hard it would be ro read...  

Turquoise Pop

Dollola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:22 am
hahaha... love it..  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:37 pm
thanks there..

it really helped..  

macoy_412

LilLiam93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:58 pm
Thanks For The Information, This is gonna be very helpful for my current RP's and the future ones I might join.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 pm
Empress dee is a roleplaying Nazi too! lol I'm not so bad, but still I do like how you put the roleplaying suggestions.

Spelling and Grammar are most often what people fear. Like I say, "If you've been in school, then use what they teach you, otherwise, go back to sucking on bottles filled with pablum and for goodness sake, put on a diaper!"

(I bet for those roleplaying Nazi's out there, this got you laughing.)  

dionnebuchan

Takaido Yamino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 pm
The whole concept of 'Role Playing' online is something very new to me. Even though I've been a registered member for a few years. I have to admit that I originally signed up for my niece's sake. I guess life happens... so here I am, basically still a newbie, and yet not!

This guide will be very helpful... I'm sure of it!

Many thanks,
Taka  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Ive read this and I am a long time RP but not online, I played D&D and other such games, I am still not sure how to get started....
stressed  

lockhamd

Greedy Gaian

Pooners

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 pm
Thanks this really helped out a lot... I might have questions though but I'll PM you. Thank You.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:54 pm
Pretty well thrown together. Also...Firefox > Word. True, Word corrects grammar too...But...It takes more time, when Firefox could just be your explorer. xd I'm a rather skilled RPer thanks to Naruto. xp But yeah...All in all, it's missing a few things...Like...How long a post should be, how to organize it into nice paragraphs, and other basic things like that, which don't really need to be put in. So all in all, I say...Good job mrgreen . Also, if people have questions on RPing, I'm a pretty good source. wink  

woot pure

DeCrazySheep

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:07 am
Flynn_MacCallister
rasberrillium
I still have a question:

What if the rp is moving too quickly for you to follow, is there a trick to making faster posts, or do I just have to get used to it?

Apologies, I haven't been around to answer questions...

In a very fast-moving roleplay, arranging things so that players take turns in a predetermined sequence is in many cases the best option. Otherwise, the "preview" button is your friend! Before you post, preview, which will update the topic review frame. If something has happened since you first hit reply, you can adjust your post accordingly.

... Of course, this can also lead to an infinite loop of preview-edit-preview-et cetera if the posting of others is too rapid. In this case, I guess all you can do is launch straight in!

Another way is to open up two windows. One on the page that your planning to post, the other where your typing your entry.
Refresh the RP's page instead of hitting preview. That way you don't have the lag time while you absolutely can't even touch your stuff. In the time it takes to refresh the rp page, jump over to your post page and do you double checking and editing for any new post that popped up the last time..
My computer is ungodly slow and in faster rps this is the only way I can keep up. ^_^'

Also, if it turns out that something you posted is completely out of wack (which happens to the best of us) it is customary to go back and edit your post.
This keeps others from getting confused when they're reading back and deccideing what to post. It can be particularly harrowing for new comers.
Its just good form.
When you do edit put some note that you did
edit it.**

Quote:
Kidd patted the gaint man on the back, grining from ear to ear. "Good job, Smith." He chuckled, "You've single handedly insulted more people than Leiws Black, and Adolf Hitler combined!" He looked back to the door as more heavy thuds bent the wood. It was times like these she had to wonder why she traveled with this lot at all.

Now lets say when I posted this there was a post that popped up just a few seconds before.
I might put up a quick post like:

Quote:
((Oh! I'm sorry I didn't see that post, let me edit real quick))

While most rpers dislike post with only Out Of Character post, most semi-lit and literate threads will wait for the sake of continuety.
But unless things are moving extreamly fast, this shouldn't be nessicary. If the rpers in the rp expect you to do this, they'll expect it to take a moment.

Quote:
Kidd started to laugh and say something asinine, but didn't have time as the door busted down and a huge body filled up the frame. He could've sworn he'd heard his heart hit the floor.
His mind raced with a hundred things ninety-nine being where he could run and the last bit where he could hide. He retreaded without thought till his back hit the window pan He felt for hisberretta and went wide eyednot finding it on his hip. "S-Smith, t-this would be a good time to t-tell me you've got a plan." He stammered.

((Edit!))

** Rember to put the EDIT at the bottom, most RPers consider it really bad form if you don't.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 am
Thank you a lot for this guide...i was always wanderin how rp workes..but never dared to ask..however i admire you're style of writing, meh i wish i could be that literate...Keep up the good work... biggrin  

chibi paupau

Lady Yuenu

Generous Friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:42 pm
Looks like you did a fine explanation for this thread. ninja  
☆ Resources

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items