Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Anyone Up For Middle-Earth? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Laelless

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09 pm
I've been interested in running a campaign set in Tolkien's Middle-Earth after the events of the third war (after Lord of the Rings end.) It would probably be in 3.5 format, and there will be a few minor adjustments to classes and races, but for the most part, its D&D in Middle-Earth.
But like any game, I need players. Is anyone interested?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:16 pm
I have only watched the first one, I think it was the first at least. But I am game. What would be the adjustments? And would their be any other limitations, like could we use some variants or other classes from other books other than Player's handbook?  

2_phatian

Laelless

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:20 pm
Some of the classes like wizard will only be selectable to a certain race, seeing as magic works differently here. Clerics are rare (I refuse to use bards as the primary healer, so if someone really wants to play a healer, we'll talk.) halflings are just renamed hobbits, no half-orcs or half-elves.
And as for the other classes, it all depends with what class you wanna play.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:27 pm
I don't have any of my books with me so, I will probably get back to up on the classes later. But, what books do you have or do we have to give you the info on the class and variants?

So, the game is mostly comes from the SRD then?

Would the Druid be allowed or is that class throw out? If so, is there any other classes that are thrown out of the SRD?  

2_phatian

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:30 pm
Where in Middle Earth are we talking about, here? Because you know... that world is so much bigger than what's presented in The Hobbit, and the following Trilogy.

Also, in what age?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:34 pm
So far, I'm still in the planning stages. This was just to see if anyone would be interested.
But what information I do have...

Wizards are allowed only to elves.
Half-orcs are not playable, nor are half-elves (unless you can come up with a damn good background story, I reward character depth.)
Sorcerers are out, they do not exist in Middle-Earth.
Paladins also do not exist.
Gnomes do not exist.
Everything else in the core players guide is available.

If given some time, I will have all my information up within a few days. If you are interested in joining this campaign, just be slightly patient and I should be done in a matter of time. :]  

Laelless

Laelless

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:35 pm
Seph Baelzara
Where in Middle Earth are we talking about, here? Because you know... that world is so much bigger than what's presented in The Hobbit, and the following Trilogy.

Also, in what age?

Pretty much where most of the movie takes place, not in Valinor.

I'm thiniking its going to be set around Gondor and Rohan, but of course thats not its limited to.

And like I said, its after the third war, so the fourth age.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm
Wizards only to elves? May I ask what was the guy with white hair and staff then? I thought he was human... I was just thinking on a character. It doesn't bother me one way or another.

Dwarves
Humans
Elves
Halflings(Hobbits)  

2_phatian

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm
2_phatian
Wizards only to elves? May I ask what was the guy with white hair and staff then? I thought he was human...

That's what he wants you to think.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:35 pm
Wizards only to Elves? BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA
Tell that to Saruman and Gandalf.

I was really hoping that it'd be in larger variety than just there... Ah well, knowledge failure on my part. Guess I was hoping it'd be on a lesser known/explored part of Arda.

Still, count me interested.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Manozz55

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:42 pm
Just because I have ideas coursing through my head, and I like a challenge. I would love to try and create a Half-Orc Barbarian. I pretty much have a good reason picked out as to how it could be possible. But given enough time I think I might be able to do it. (And I acknowledge that the Half-Orc character would probably be poorly looked upon and probably not allowed in towns and such.)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:52 pm
Seph Baelzara
Wizards only to Elves? BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA
Tell that to Saruman and Gandalf.

I was really hoping that it'd be in larger variety than just there... Ah well, knowledge failure on my part. Guess I was hoping it'd be on a lesser known/explored part of Arda.

Still, count me interested.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Istar

Sorry, I guess I should have made that clearer. ^^lll
They are spirits of the valor(gods) that are sent to help defeat Sauron. They are not mortals.

And in the Silmarrilion, only the elves mastered the art of magic. But only very limitedly, by enchanting artifacts, like weapons and armor and junk. Magic is rare to mortals in middle-earth.

EDIT: And also one of the reasons I want to put it in a known part of Middle-Earth is because I would be slightly easier to make up a story in a part that has history I can work with, rather then create my own. Creating my own ideas in a world I did not create already kinda makes me feel like a thief, and making a whole new history to a world I did not create feels even worse. I might go to parts unknown, but for now, it will be where there is already lore.  

Laelless

2_phatian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am
Then why not eliminate the magic classes altogether, and have the only magical class be the Artificer from Eberron? It is a class that specializes in creation and use of magical items.

Though that would destroy my idea, but ah well I can still create another.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:39 am
I'm in. smile

I may play a Hobbit (most likely a Druid or a Rogue, possibly a Cleric or Bard though), but that's realy not my initial choice.... I have some other ideas as well...

one would be a Half-Orc, and I promise you I can make a VERY good and reasonable background story for it! I know that in the storyline of the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion the Orcs are entirely evil, being creatures made of pain and suffering, but I realy want to break that kind of view about it. so, I wanna make an Uruk who turned away from the norms of his race. one who is seeking absolution and redemption. kind of Wild-West-Outlaw-Style, I guess... most likely a Ranger/Barbarian.

another choice I have is a Rohirim woman with some Dunlander heritage. I'm thinking Rogue/Fighter.

is it ok for me to play multiple characters? I'm very good at it, I've been DMing Sandbox Campaigns for almost 11 years now. I REALY wanna play and develop all these characters! whee heart if I get to play all three, I'll make the Hobbit a Druid.

also, what level are we starting at? and how bout Stats? we using Point-Buy, or some rolling method, or a static set that we have to assign? or what?  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:48 am
2_phatian
Then why not eliminate the magic classes altogether, and have the only magical class be the Artificer from Eberron? It is a class that specializes in creation and use of magical items.

Though that would destroy my idea, but ah well I can still create another.

I'd think, ditch the Sorcerer was good, and replace Wizard with Artificer, but not limit it to just elves. instead, make it the Elves Favoured Class. keep the Cleric and Druid, and use the Martial Variants of the Ranger and Paladin Classes. keep Bards completely as they are, of course.

which is sad, cause I like Sorcerers... but oh well. of course allow Wizards and Sorcerers for NPCs, because their are/were immortals and such around.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff