Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Magic Item Discussion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 am
Before, we had a thread of random magic items with effecs. Well, this one isn't so random and actually for discussions.

First up: I've been playing Final Fantasy and seeing over again items that cast a spell (like Fire, or Ice), it made me think of how something like that could be translated over to DnD for lower level mages. Now, don't need it unlimited times, especially if it's a powerful spell... so a x/day system, a x-charges/day (with each charge doing something, using more doing more powerful effects, like the warlock scepter), or something else?

Give me your thoughts.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:48 am
Have you seen the Eternal Wands of the Eberron setting or the Magic Item Compendium?  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:52 am
Lots of wands, rods, and staves in 4e work this way, but I should say they do this in lieu of spending charges for spell effects as in prior editions  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:15 pm
It should also be mentioned that in 4e, mages don't have this weakness anymore either.

And yea, I've seen the Eternal Wands. They're 2/day items that from what I've seen, anyone can use. Which may be the only thing good, but it's not like you can use them as a physical weapon.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:39 pm
*Shrug* Tape 'em to a sword and you're golden. Though you have to be a spellcaster to activate the eternal wands just like any other wand. They're the right thing to start with as a basis, though.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games