Etiquette in the Japanese Culture?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neverending Marchen

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 pm
Well, I'm currently learning Japanese now, and I was curious about the etiquette. I know that Japan is a very polite society and the like, but I read in a textbook, that the Japanese try to not be too direct in there conversations. I was wondering why this might be...?
And is their any other rules in this etiquette? Like, don't leave chopsticks standing in the bowl or something. Thanks in advance!

((And I may have more questions later. Still learning!))

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:57 am
As far as I know they try not be to too direct in their conversations because that is impolite.
The higher the status of the other person, the deeper you bow.
As for chopsticks, do not stick them in the food and do not bite the food when it's on the chopsticks.

Shasita

vagrant branwen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 am
http://www.savoryjapan.com/learn/culture/dining.etiquette.html

That is a great sight for dining related etiquette such as chop sticks. They also have lots of great info on food from Japan.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:56 am
l Sailor Sagittarius l
Well, I'm currently learning Japanese now, and I was curious about the etiquette. I know that Japan is a very polite society and the like, but I read in a textbook, that the Japanese try to not be too direct in there conversations. I was wondering why this might be...?
And is their any other rules in this etiquette? Like, don't leave chopsticks standing in the bowl or something. Thanks in advance!

Japanese people aren't too direct in their conversations because they like to maintain wa, or harmony, no matter what. Japan has so many people and so little space. For instance, in an office, most desks are slid right next to each other, so you work closely next to each other. If a person is impolite, it will be seen as not only being rude, but destroying the harmony in the workplace atmosphere. Japanese people are really sensitive to the atmosphere. Also, the Japanese language isn't direct, which is why learning English is so difficult. For instance, there's so many ways to say, "There's a lot of people." You could use the word ippai, which can mean "full", but you can also use it when saying there's a lot of something. This is only part of it, but if you read 100 Cross-Cultural Misunderstandings Between Japanese People and Foreigners, there's a ton of things you'll learn about Japanese etiquette.
Lastly, if you stand chopsticks in your food, it's a funeral sign.  

thejade9

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 pm
Yeah I have to say it sort of the polite way do that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:03 pm
another polite way is hand gesture that japanese use when greeting someone.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 am
Also Japanese does do some calligraphy for practice  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:05 pm
aLSO READ ABOUT THE LIFE STYLE THEY HAVE they keep their floor really clean.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

thejade9

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:21 pm
Kawaii Yami Rorita
aLSO READ ABOUT THE LIFE STYLE THEY HAVE they keep their floor really clean.

Japanese people don't just keep their floors clean. They try to take care of everything so that it will last. Cleanliness is part of the culture here in Japan.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:37 pm
l Sailor Sagittarius l

It's not that they are necessarily "indirect",but they do find it rude to directly DENY someone of something-they always make some sort of excuse as to why they can't or won't do something and they don't usually speak their opinions unless it is in kind words-so they can be very sensitive to direct criticism and simple name-calling and put-downs.Oh,and women bow with their hands in front of them and men bow with their arms at their sides.It is very masculine to do the latter and very feminine to do the former,so anytime someone who is not of the "appropriate" gender (ie-a girl bowing like a guy),they are assumed to be very whatever trait of the opposite gender (girl being very butch and masculine) and possibly homosexual or at least that they like the same sex that they are.It's the same thing when a girl refers to herself as "boku",which is a very masculine version of "watashi",which is me or I.  

Sebastian Sean

Demonic Muse

8,250 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

GiiGiiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 pm

ʕ ·ᴥ·ʔ Yeah, and it causes some difficulties at time with me and my husband, who is American. I grew up in Japan, and lived there for 9 years. I agree that most things are said "indirectly", as to avoid conflict or disagreement. So, you have to constantly read behind the words, or in Japanese they say "kuuki wo yomu" (空気を読む)which literally translates to " read the atmosphere".

In linguistics class in college, our professor would say that Japanese is an "indirect" language, while English is more "direct".

Example situation that we learned in class.
There are 2 roommates, Jessica and Sayaka. Sayaka has an exam tomorrow, and wants to study in a quiet environment. Jessica comes back to their room and starts to play music. Sayaka would say "hey, Jessica, I have this exam on (something) tomorrow.", when she meant "do you mind turning the music down cause I'm trying to study for an exam tomorrow".

My professor said that Jessica, because she's a native speaker of English, might not understand what Sayaka is implicating when she said that.

That's just a rough example... I agree sometimes Japanese people tend to beat around the bush, but that's not always true. I had nosy neighbors who weren't afraid to say what they think.. haha. ʕ·ᴥ· ʔ

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:06 pm
Do not come in a Japanese house hold without saying "Ojamashimasu."
Remember to take off your shoes.
The politest way to invite someone inside your place is to say "Iirasaimasu"  

Obiwan-in-a-pudding

Tipsy Partygoer

10,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
Japanese culture

Manage Your Items