Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Calling all Baptists

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 am
I have a few questions for you.
I am not really sure of where the baptist denomination comes from
nor what it's belief system is,
nor how mush does it differentiate to any other "Christianity",
so I wanted to know more about it by asking a few questions.

What's is your position on divorce? (According to what you've been thought in your church/denomination.)
What is your position about baptism and what role does it play in your life?
What is your opinion about the Holy Spirit/baptism of the Holy Spirit?
Is there any other text/books you follow besides the Bible?
Anything other similarities/differences you have found there to be with other denominations.

I'm only asking because my sister started going to a baptist church and I want to know more about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:14 am
I was a Baptist... Not really anymore... Anyway, you can't really pinpoint exact Baptist beliefs, because it tends to vary between church to church, depending on the preacher and or the community that the church is in... So I can only tell you what the church that I went to believes in, so it might not be what other Baptist churches believe in.

1) Divorce- Only if you really need too, but if you remarry you can not be a Deacon or a Preacher afterwards.

2) Baptism- is required. If you do not get saved and baptized, they believe that you go to hell... however, I have noticed that a lot of other Baptists do not think that you need to get baptized.

3) Holy Spirit/Ghost- Our Preacher calls him the Holy Ghost... I dunno if that means anything or not, but we do baptism in the name of the Father, the Son and The Holy Ghost. But I don't really have an opinion on it... I am just now learning about other churches and their differences, so I always thought that it was the normal thing to do.

4) Any other books- No... but our Preacher was very picky on the Bible that he used/ we used... he wanted us to use the King James version of the Bible... and not the New King James version, or anything else like that. Also he has a reprint, of the Bible, that was made in 1611 when the first Bible was published. And that is the ONLY version he will read. The older the better and less corrupt, is the way that he thinks.

5) any other similarities- Not real sure on that question... But I can say one other thing. Baptists tend to take the Bible very literally... I once heard a saying about Baptists... "If God says it, he means it, and that's, that." and I have found that to be very true about them.

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 am
Sick is wrong on a lot of levels about Baptist. He is confusing what his church did with what Bapist believe. Devorce is only done when necessary but you can still be a pastor or deacon like my dad. Baptist believe in immertion because it is the way that every baptism is done in scripture. We believe that even though the Bible may have mistakes in it do to mistranslations, that scripture as it was orginally writen was pure and completely inspired by God. There are more but those are just small details. Some facts about baptist is it's the largest denomination in America. The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest religious convention in the states with over 40,000 churches and has over 80 languages represented. Over 1 in 3 African Americans are Baptist. There are over 40 different types of Baptist.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 am
Green_Fuu
What's is your position on divorce? (According to what you've been thought in your church/denomination.)
What is your position about baptism and what role does it play in your life?
What is your opinion about the Holy Spirit/baptism of the Holy Spirit?
Is there any other text/books you follow besides the Bible?
Anything other similarities/differences you have found there to be with other denominations.
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I will just start this off by saying my church is a Southern Baptist church.

Divorce - There is no reason people should divorce, all things can be worked through with Christ.

Baptism (in water) - Is a necessary step in our walk of faith. We can be saved apart from Baptism but it is said in scripture to be something we need so that's why my church follows.

Baptism (of the Holy spirit) - My church believes in this above baptism of water. It's

Other texts - Not at all. My pastor preaches the bible and the bible alone. There may be a quote or 2 from a Christian writer but I think that's "normal" as I've seen it happen in other church denominations. My Church uses NASB but it does not require its members to use it.

Lord's supper - My church believes that the Lord's supper ( some call it communion) is something that shouldn't become the "norm" as some churches do it once a month. My church does it once a quarter or so and never at the same point in that quarter of the year though. I don't know if there are other churches that do it this way because I've seen more wide spread use of the once a month communion.

I don't know if Baptist Churches are so much different from other denominations but I go to my church because it preaches the bible, it teaches it to me in a clear message, I like the Sunday school lessons we learn. My church is very loving and open and warm. It doesn't shun anyone who may be "different". I was baptized shortly after I had colored my hair purple (not realizing at the time what I was going to do).

We believe in the bible and that the only way to be saved is to believe that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. There is no special prayer that is used when a person comes to the front at the end of service because they want to be saved.

@gothic - Sick did say that he was just stating what his previous church believes in. And he did say it may not be the same as other Baptist churches. And I will say it too, due to the many different varieties of Baptist Churches it will be hard to get a pin point answer of what they are like.

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:54 am
I went to Baptist churches before, it's the closest thing to a denomination I really had. but I don't really pay attention to the details of what they "officially" believe in or whatever.

I say if you wanna know what the church is like, just go to the church. >>
Churches can vary widely even within the same denomination, the only way to know for yourself is to go and see.

I remember that I was told by my friends who went to Baptist churches that I didn't have to be baptized to go there or to be saved.
I also know that the Baptist churches I've been to are often more contemporary in their style of services compared to elsewhere. As in, more 'modern' worship songs and more focus on connecting with the current generation, less 'traditional' things like Communion and old hymns. Although several churches I know have one traditional service and one contemporary, along with youth programs, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am
User Image

***What's is your position on divorce? (According to what you've been thought in your church/denomination.)

Well in our church, it's fine. As long as you try to work it out. We even have a support group for it it's called Divorce Care.
We don't like divorce but come on, it is going to happen to some people. Be realistic.

***What is your position about baptism and what role does it play in your life?

I'm new at this, I really don't know. I think it's suppose to make you born again or something like that.

***What is your opinion about the Holy Spirit/baptism of the Holy Spirit?

It's good? I dunno I'm still learning about this.

***Is there any other text/books you follow besides the Bible?

No I only follow the Bible.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:59 pm
gothic_black_rose
Sick is wrong on a lot of levels about Baptist. He is confusing what his church did with what Bapist believe. Devorce is only done when necessary but you can still be a pastor or deacon like my dad. Baptist believe in immertion because it is the way that every baptism is done in scripture. We believe that even though the Bible may have mistakes in it do to mistranslations, that scripture as it was orginally writen was pure and completely inspired by God. There are more but those are just small details. Some facts about baptist is it's the largest denomination in America. The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest religious convention in the states with over 40,000 churches and has over 80 languages represented. Over 1 in 3 African Americans are Baptist. There are over 40 different types of Baptist.

That is the reason that I made it a point to say that alot of Baptist churches are different, depending on a few things, but this is what mine does...

The Baptist church that I went to, is a very old school, and a very conservative church.

btw, I'm a girl... I know that my avi is kinda hard to identify...
Christian friends

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games