Reply The Lounge
Help learning hieroglyphics?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

__penguin__

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:36 am
I've started studying/learning hieroglyphics, but I have questions once in a while. I'm not looking for a teacher, just someone where I can pop up on MSN once in a while and be like, "Hey, the order of these symbols is weird... help? gonk " If anyone's interested, just PM me or post here with your msn name and I'll add you. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:47 am
I don't know much about 'glyphs myself, but I do wish you luck! It is a very beautifully written language.  

evolvingwolf

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:33 pm
I plan on studying it within the next few months. I'm getting some books on it for Christmas. So in a few months I could talk more about it. I did learn a few things about hieroglyphics a long time ago and it is fasinating to learn. I wish you luck! I don't have msn or else I would give you my screenname. All I have is aol and I'm hardly ever on there, I'm on here sometimes and facebook most of the time.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 am
Thank you both! biggrin

Hmmm, maybe I should just convert this to a hieroglyphics discussion thread, then, where anyone can ask questions and answer them. surprised

@Underworld Priestess: I've been using this book called Hieroglyphs without Mystery: An Introduction to Ancient Egyptian Writing by Karl-Theodor Zauzich, and it's pretty good so far. My dad picked up 3 random hieroglyphics books for me at a used bookstore. xd That's the only one of the three I've looked at extensively yet. I'm still in the process of memorizing the basic alphabet symbols. The Zauzich book is nice because it has a good symbol dictionary in the back, and it also shows a nice way of writing the symbols by hand (simplified-ish versions of them so you don't have to spend 20 minutes drawing an intricate vulture, etc.). I mean, I can't think of any situation where you would actually need to write hieroglyphics and not just read them, but writing the letters over and over worked for me when I was learning Japanese, and it's been working for this, too. xd  

__penguin__

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:52 pm
I forgot the name of the one I'm getting, it's something like Decoding Egyptian Hieroglyphics: The Language of the Pharoah's. But afterwards I may have to look into the book your reading, it depends on how well I take to this. I very weird with other languages and writing, for example: I excelled at Latin but I am absolutely terrible at Spanish. Most people thing Spanish is easier to take to. I like your idea of learning by writing, I may have to practice that. Once I learn a little I want to make a Egyptian bench or some other piece of furniture and write my own hieroglyphics on it. Telling a story or something.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:25 am
That sounds awesome, good luck! biggrin Lol yeah, I've been doodling symbols on all my school notes since last week. Luckily no one's given me funny looks yet. xd  

__penguin__

shayshay2896

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 am
im 14 so i cant reallly help cause iv done my name in hierogliphics but thats it so lol But good luck smile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:37 pm
Well, I finally got my hieroglyphics book, so now I can start studying it. It should be very interesting.  

Underworld Priestess

The Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff