Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Halloween ? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you participate in Halloween?
  No, but I used to
  No, and I never did
  Yes, I participate in it every year!
  Sometimes..
View Results

Ace Unknown

6,650 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:35 pm
.. άηđ ʈɦɘɾɘ ράρά ȴάƴѕ

Does anyone know the purpose of Halloween, why it's a holiday, and why does it involve candy? eek
And also, what's so bad about it?
User Image

ɨη †ɦɘ ϭάɾđɘη σᵳ ɦσησɾ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 pm
It was a day to hide in the house and put candy out on the doorstep that way the dead wouldn't come in and steal people's souls. Thus the whole reason kids go trick or treating. It was orginally a pagan holiday, just like Christmas. The Catholic church, whichwas the only church at the time, got a hold of it over 1,000 years ago and turned it more in to a Christian holiday that way they could convert more people to Christianity. The word Halloween comes from the words Hallows eve which means holy evening. It is call that because All Saints day is the day after. They say it's evil because "God isn't in Halloween" but he isn't in the 4th of July, Birthdays, or most of the holidays we celebrate. I guess those people shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it went through the same transitions as Halloween from a pagan holiday to a Christian one. It proves that they don't have any idea about Christian history outside of the Bible. Also they are letting legalism rule their lives and that's what ended up happening to the Pharisees and Sadducees. It's a holiday that celebrates our ancestors converstion from paganism to Christianity.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 pm
gothic_black_rose
It was a day to hide in the house and put candy out on the doorstep that way the dead wouldn't come in and steal people's souls. Thus the whole reason kids go trick or treating. It was orginally a pagan holiday, just like Christmas. The Catholic church, whichwas the only church at the time, got a hold of it over 1,000 years ago and turned it more in to a Christian holiday that way they could convert more people to Christianity. The word Halloween comes from the words Hallows eve which means holy evening. It is call that because All Saints day is the day after. They say it's evil because "God isn't in Halloween" but he isn't in the 4th of July, Birthdays, or most of the holidays we celebrate. I guess those people shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it went through the same transitions as Halloween from a pagan holiday to a Christian one. It proves that they don't have any idea about Christian history outside of the Bible. Also they are letting legalism rule their lives and that's what ended up happening to the Pharisees and Sadducees. It's a holiday that celebrates our ancestors converstion from paganism to Christianity.

You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

Thanksgiving...Thanksgiving has God involved in it and did not come from a pagan orgin, really it's the only real Christian holiday. And I have NEVER heard anyone refer to Halloween as a Christian holiday, NEVER. If I asked anyone I knew, Christian or not, if Halloween was a Christian holiday they would reply "You're kidding right?" Maybe it was considered Christian back when the Catholics took it over, but it sure isn't now.

My family had not celebrated Halloween for several years now, but we do still celebrate Christmas, but we have not done the while santa thing with my little sister.

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:28 pm
Br1ttana
gothic_black_rose

You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

Thanksgiving...Thanksgiving has God involved in it and did not come from a pagan orgin, really it's the only real Christian holiday. And I have NEVER heard anyone refer to Halloween as a Christian holiday, NEVER. If I asked anyone I knew, Christian or not, if Halloween was a Christian holiday they would reply "You're kidding right?" Maybe it was considered Christian back when the Catholics took it over, but it sure isn't now.

My family had not celebrated Halloween for several years now, but we do still celebrate Christmas, but we have not done the while santa thing with my little sister.

Santa is one of the only Christian traditions in Christmas. Christmas trees, giving gifts, even having the celebration on December 25 are all from pagan roots. The reason why people don't know that it is a converted holiday is because a lot of them refuse to learn the reasons why we celebrate our holidays and where they come from. They hear what others tell them and believe it instead of looking it up for themselves from a reliable source.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:07 pm
You are right Gothic, Christmas is NOT a christian Holiday at least not one that has anything to do with Christ as it derives from pagan origins just like Halloween. I wouldn't choose one to be better than the other.
But I will not get into that today.
Although, I do not agree with your analogy with the other celebrations. We can certainly celebrate the birth of someone we love along with family members and friends and still have God be in that celebration giving him thanks for every day that he lets us live. We can thank God for having us live in a free country, (4th of July), but obviously we do not celebrate like the world does.
The reason why I do not celebrate Halloween or anything in general is NOT for the sole reason that "God is not in that" even though that should be reason enough.

If you know anything about the REAL origins of Halloween you will learn that that day is dedicated to Satan, it doesn't matter how people try to disguise it.
It is a time for devil worshipers to get together and involve the ignorant masses. Of course in the U.S. it has become more commercialized and even seen as a joke, but if you were to talk to real real satanic about what Halloween means to him/her you will get a whole different answer. For them Halloween is not just a game. It's a ceremonial day of the year.

What we now know as treat-or-treating and/or dressing up in costumes did not come from such a harmless act as we know disguise it.
Halloween, celebrated on the day before the beginning of the Celtic new year - October 31, began as a pagan holiday to celebrate the spirits of the dead, or Samhain (usually pronounced “sou-in”), by the Druids, a Celtic non-Christian religious order. The druids would go from house to house taking victims to sacrifice them and in exchange for the victim they left behind a pumpkin so that it could protect that home from the demons of death that night (sounding familiar anyone?)
Satan loves Halloween because it embellishes the powers of the obscure and attracks children to the obscure.
For the costumes that are so popular during this time of year instead of masks, they wore costumes made of animal skins.
These costumes were worn while humans and animals screamed as they were being burnt to death in the fires. The people wearing the skins danced and jumped through the fires in order to ward off evil spirits. A few say children dressed as goblins to welcome “death” and they took the treats left in front of homes. If the treats were gone, they played a prank, thus bringing about what is now known as “trick-or-treating.”
If you look even more beyond where these rituals originated you will find more grotesque origins.

I will not get into a whole lecture about origins but you can do your own research online or reading any books that deal with the true origins of Halloween or the occult:Here is a website to get started

God would not see these rituals as something good nor as bringing Glory to his name, in fact it is a huge slap in God's face.
The sacrifices to Satan are a mockery to God's sacrifice on the cross.
Satan hates that message and tries to counter it every time he can. He has blinded the eyes and the minds of people to this truth.

BTW I am not judging anyone, You can do as you please but remember 1 Corinthians 10:23 says, "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify."
If you really wanna make a change for God, I would see that as a good opportunity to hand out pamphlets and spread the word of God when those trick-or-treaters come.
Now that is truly God driven.

I hope that answered you question Ace Unknown (^_^)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:50 pm
Green_Fuu
You are right Gothic, Christmas is NOT a christian Holiday at least not one that has anything to do with Christ as it derives from pagan origins just like Halloween. I wouldn't choose one to be better than the other.
Although, I do not agree with you analogy with the other celebrations. We can certainly celebrate the birth of someone we love along with family members and friends and still have God be in that celebrating giving him thanks for every day that he lets us live. We can thanks God for having us live in a free country, (4th of July), but obviously we do not celebrate like the world does.
The reason why I do not celebrate Halloween or anything in general is NOT for the sole reason that "God is not in that" even though that should be reason enough.

If you know anything about the REAL origins of Halloween you will learn that that day is dedicated to Satan, it doesn't matter how people try to disguise it.
It is a time for devil worshipers to get together and involve the ignorant masses. Of course in the U.S. it has become more commercialized and even seen as a joke, but if you were to talk to real real satanic about what Halloween means to him/her you will get a whole different answer. For them Halloween is not just a game. It's a ceremonial day of the year.

What we now know as treat-or-treating and/or dressing up in costumes did not come from such a harmless act as we know disguise it.
Halloween, celebrated on the day before the beginning of the Celtic new year - October 31, began as a pagan holiday to celebrate the spirits of the dead, or Samhain (usually pronounced “sou-in”), by the Druids, a Celtic non-Christian religious order. The druids would go from house to house taking victims to sacrifice them and in exchange for the victim they left behind a pumpkin so that it could protect that home from the demons of death that night (sounding familiar anyone?)
Satan loves Halloween because it embellishes the powers of the obscure and attracks children to the obscure.
For the costumes that are so popular during this time of year instead of masks, they wore costumes made of animal skins.
These costumes were worn while humans and animals screamed as they were being burnt to death in the fires. The people wearing the skins danced and jumped through the fires in order to ward off evil spirits. A few say children dressed as goblins to welcome “death” and they took the treats left in front of homes. If the treats were gone, they played a prank, thus bringing about what is now known as “trick-or-treating.”
If you look even more beyond where these rituals originated you will find more grotesque origins.

I will not get into a whole lecture about origins but you can do your own research online or reading any books that deal with the true origins of Halloween or the occult:Here is a website to get started

God would not see these rituals as something good nor as bringing Glory to his name, in fact is is a huge slap in God's face.
Satan hates that message and tries to counter it every time he can. He has blinded the eyes and the minds of people to this truth.

BTW I am not judging anyone, You can do as you please but remember 1 Corinthians 10:23 says, "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify."
If you really wanna make a change for God, I would see that as a good opportunity to hand out pamphlets and spread the word of God when those trick-or-treaters come.

.. άηđ ʈɦɘɾɘ ράρά ȴάƴѕ

Thank you, and thank you gothic.
This really answered my question and I know that, as much as I want to, I'm not participating in Halloween this year. I'll just ask my mum to buy me some candy ;D
Thank you for persuading me. (:
I feel one tiny step closer to God and one big step away from Satan.
User Image

ɨη †ɦɘ ϭάɾđɘη σᵳ ɦσησɾ

Ace Unknown

6,650 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Green_Fuu
Although, I do not agree with you analogy with the other celebrations. We can certainly celebrate the birth of someone we love along with family members and friends and still have God be in that celebrating giving him thanks for every day that he lets us live. We can thanks God for having us live in a free country, (4th of July), but obviously we do not celebrate like the world does.

God would not see these rituals as something good nor as bringing Glory to his name, in fact is is a huge slap in God's face.

BTW I am not judging anyone, You can do as you please but remember God Said, "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify." (1 Corinthians 10:23)

Seriously! Satanist and wiccans celebrate rituals all the time, not just on Halloween. How I know this is because I have friends that are wiccans and one actually converted. Also what about church harvest festivals?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 pm
gothic_black_rose
Green_Fuu

BTW I am not judging anyone, You can do as you please but remember God Said, "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify." (1 Corinthians 10:23)

Seriously! Satanist and wiccans celebrate rituals all the time, not just on Halloween. How I know this is because I have friends that are wiccans and one actually converted. Also what about church harvest festivals?

You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

Just because harvest festivals take place around Halloween it does not make them Halloween related otherwise they would be called Church Halloween Festivals. Harvest time for pumpkins, apples, and whatever else get harvested around this time which just happens to be around the same time as Halloween. Harvest festivals are for people to gather together picking/harvesting and eating fall oriented crops and they don't just happen at churches but also appear at pumpkin fields and cider mills. Also, how does the fact that Halloween is not their only ceremony day (which green fu never said. She just noted that it is one of their ceremony days) make all of her information/facts less relevant or harmful?

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm
gothic_black_rose
Br1ttana
gothic_black_rose
It was a day to hide in the house and put candy out on the doorstep that way the dead wouldn't come in and steal people's souls. Thus the whole reason kids go trick or treating. It was orginally a pagan holiday, just like Christmas. The Catholic church, whichwas the only church at the time, got a hold of it over 1,000 years ago and turned it more in to a Christian holiday that way they could convert more people to Christianity. The word Halloween comes from the words Hallows eve which means holy evening. It is call that because All Saints day is the day after. They say it's evigYl because "God isn't in Halloween" but he isn't in the 4th of July, Birthdays, or most of the holidays we celebrate. I guess those people shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it went through the same transitions as Halloween from a pagan holiday to a Christian one. It proves that they don't have any idea about Christian history outside of the Bible. Also they are letting legalism rule their lives and that's what ended up happening to the Pharisees and Sadducees. It's a holiday that celebrates our ancestors converstion from paganism to Christianity.

You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

Santa is one of the only Christian traditions in Christmas. Christmas trees, giving gifts, even having the celebration on December 25 are all from pagan roots. The reason why people don't know that it is a converted holiday is because a lot of them refuse to learn the reasons why we celebrate our holidays and where they come from. They hear what others tell them and believe it instead of looking it up for themselves from a reliable source.

You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

Santa is not Christian. Where his name (Ol' Saint Nick) came from is Christian. The presents thing is along the right line. Saint Nick gave toys to needy/poor children who had none, today's Santa gives toys to any child unless they are naughty in which case they get coal. Now I don't remember hearing in the Saint Nick story that he gave coal to anyone or lived in the North Pole with a bunch of little dressed in green elves making toys all year long, got to decide who is naughty & nice, and then on Christmas Eve travels all the way around the world in a flying sled run by flying reindeer, and apparently make parents think that a toy that Santa made (and that they did not buy, to keep his being real a secret) they bought for their child then wrote Santa on top of the package for fun, and no one ever sees or catches him. Also, (while not all children will react in this way,) when you tell the child that Santa (and everyone else) is not real they think "you've been lying to me? What else have you been lying to me about? Is this God a lie too?" And their trust is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 pm
1: Halloween is a pagan holiday
• the candy represents offerings to spirits and such
• way back when the pagans believed that Halloween was the day that the door of the spirit world and the human world opened
• the costumes are because the pagans though that if the spirits knew that they were human they would curse them, so they took animal skins and dirt, things like that and put it on themselves, to them look like "spirits"
• jack-o-lanterns (carved pumpkins with scary faces to "welcome the spirits") were placed on door steps with candles inside because it was believed that if you made a "home" for the spirit then that spirit would bless your family for the next year (or something like that, pardon me if I am incorrect)

2: Christmas is not a Pagan holiday
• Giving presents represents the giving of Christ by God (makes sense huh)
• I have no idea how Santa, Christmas trees and stuff raps into things, so don't ask me.
• What happened was that the idea of Christmas, started with Jesus' birth, the birth of Christ (hence the name CHRISTmas) over many many years media has abolished all of these sacred ideas and traditions with Santa and trees and stockings. It's a giving holiday, but it's been turned into a receiving holiday, which really sucks because now when you try to get kids to help with things like making meals for the homeless or giving toys for orphans, they don't because all their lives they were taught "I get what I want, with nothing in return" which is not how anyone should live.

Okay I'm done ranting biggrin  

BugxNicole

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:17 pm
gothic_black_rose
Green_Fuu

I'm just strictly answering the OP's question about what Halloween is, nothing more nothing less.

I didn't once tell her NOT to do it.
Just see what is in front of you and use common sense.
And yes, Satanists and wiccans celebrate rituals all the time, Halloween is one of them.

Notice how you yourself had to use wiccan and satanist in a conjunction.
I'm pretty sure others have stated that a satanic and a wiccan are not the same thing.
I have never been to a harvest festival.
I have been to a corn festival! ...during corn season XD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 pm
Ace Unknown
.. άηđ ʈɦɘɾɘ ράρά ȴάƴѕ

Thank you, and thank you gothic.
This really answered my question and I know that, as much as I want to, I'm not participating in Halloween this year. I'll just ask my mum to buy me some candy ;D
Thank you for persuading me. (:
I feel one tiny step closer to God and one big step away from Satan.
User Image

ɨη †ɦɘ ϭάɾđɘη σᵳ ɦσησɾ

I usually go to church that day so it doesn't bother me.
It used to in the beginning because I did it once or twice with my cousin, but once I learned what it meant I would rather not, and now it doesn't bother me at all.

Instead I take it as a challenge to search more for the LORD and one Up the devil.
4laugh

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:57 pm
42-iMpErFeCtLy-pErFeCt-24

2: Christmas is not a Pagan holiday
• Giving presents represents the giving of Christ by God (makes sense huh)
• I have no idea how Santa, Christmas trees and stuff raps into things, so don't ask me.
• What happened was that the idea of Christmas, started with Jesus' birth, the birth of Christ (hence the name CHRISTmas) over many many years media has abolished all of these sacred ideas and traditions with Santa and trees and stockings. It's a giving holiday, but it's been turned into a receiving holiday, which really sucks because now when you try to get kids to help with things like making meals for the homeless or giving toys for orphans, they don't because all their lives they were taught "I get what I want, with nothing in return" which is not how anyone should live.

Okay I'm done ranting biggrin

You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

It came from a Pagan holiday though. That is what it has came to be, the celebration of Christ's birth.

1. Christmas= Christ's Mass..His death not his birth. Even further Mass means, by definition, "death of Christ".

2. Even though no one knows when exactly Jesus was born because the Bible does not say exactly, with everything that it does say, his birth was around late Summer or early Autumn.

3. Christ never said to honor his birth but his Death because by that we are saved.

4. How could it start with his birth if no one even knew he was born yet, then everyone hated him for the rest of his life so how could and why would they celebrate his birth?

5. @Your first bullet point- The popular thought or "fact" of the giving of presents thing, is the Magi giving presents to baby Jesus....Which doesn't work either because it actually took them a while to get to Jesus untill he wasn't exactly a little baby anymore.

More info:

Link 1

Link 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 am
I read another thread involving Halloween and if a Christian should celebrate it. After I read through the links listed below I came to a conclusion of, 'NO'.

Even I have been so blind about how Halloween was 'born' and what really went on for centuries before it became so commercialized like it is today in age. However even if Halloween is really commercialized now in days that does not hide the fact of all the evil that goes on that day.

This year I don't want to stand by idly and not do anything.

The first two are highly recommended reading.

http://www.angelfire.com/nd/trickortreat/

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/halloween.html

http://womenbygrace.com/christian-life/why-we-dont-celebrate-halloween/

http://www.jameswatkins.com/halloween2.htm

http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/i/biblehalloween_2.htm

Here are some sites that have Halloween alternative ideas:

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/halloween.html

http://www.lifeway.com/article/151120/

http://www.hem-of-his-garment-bible-study.org/Christian-Halloween-alternatives.html

http://www.creativebiblestudy.com/halloween-alternatives.html

http://www.annieshomepage.com/alternative.html  

Hitoma

7,400 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Christian friends

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash