Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Question: Any interest in 'loose' PbP?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What genre of RP do you like best?
  Fantasy [High Magic] (D&D, Pathfinder)
  Fantasy [Low Magic] (Vampire, Werewolf)
  Sci-Fi (D20 Future, Rogue Trader)
  Fantastic Sci-Fi (Shadowrun, D20 Modern variants)
  Realistic/Historical Fiction (D20 Past/Modern)
  I luv 'em ALL!!!
View Results

FireSpark

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm
Allow me to clarify for any that are a little question now. Many players are aware that PbP RPG (aaahhh! Initialism Attack!) can get pretty bogged down, pretty darn fast. Especially when it comes time to start killing things. (Since in most tabletop systems, that's when the dice really start flying. Or rolling, depending on the group.) What I have done in the past though, is run a game that while still set within a given universe and playing in a certain ruleset, try to be a little fast and loose with the random mechanics. With the general rule of thumb being to create a cinematic feel.

Or another way to say it: light on the dice chugging, heavy on the looking cool.

Now some may recognize my description as closer to 'freeform' style, and true it is close. But think freeform, in the confines of using an existing game system to determine setting and power levels.

Well, I hope I have clarified, though a part of me thinks that I may have things just as cunfuddled as ever.

So, anyone here like this sort of thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 pm
I think it's not so much dice that slow a game down, but slowing the game to allow participation from all members of a group with divergent and unreliable schedules. If you're going rules-lite, then you'll need to either sell up your skills as a story arbitrator, or give us a setting that wouldn't be easily run under a common ruleset.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

FireSpark

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:14 pm
True, true. However, for me, divergent story lines has never been a problem. Probably because I'm a bit of writer/storyteller by nature.

And to sell up my skills. Well, I've been roleplaying for about, oh, almost 22 years now. Been writing creatively for almost as long. Though technically, the roleplaying stuff counts as a creative writing, but...well, like I said technicalities.

I have several samples of fun stuff to read if anyone's interested, and have written a helpful guide to creating characters (from a flavor perspective) that I posted in another guild that got good reviews.

And I just love to tell stories, but I really like to do it when there are others there to participate. Not in a me vs. you kind of way, but in a "we're making a story of own" kind.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:57 am
so sure, I'm interested in something of this nature. I tried it myself a while back, but it didn't work out as I'd hoped.

If it could be anything but a high fantasy D&D setting, I'd be cool with that.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces