Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Art shop? (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Iridesence

4,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 pm
I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to set up an art shop and maybe give me some tips, I'm pretty clueless sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Where are you looking to set up shop at? In the main forums, or in a guild? The processes are a bit different depending on where you are as private guilds may have different rules that you need to adhere to.

Generally, what you'll want to do is ensure that you have some samples, know what you want to charge, and know where you want to create the thread. If you're in the main forums, you'll want to go here.

Create the thread. You'll probably want the first post as an introduction, second post for samples and prices, third post for how to order and waiting list, etc- that's just a basic example, make sure you keep a few extra reserve posts in case you ever want to add something.

MAKE IT PRETTY. People are much more likely to buy from shops that look like the owner has put some effort into it.

Bump it. If you don't show it some love once it's open, nobody will ever see it.

Have banners. Link it in your signature, encourage your friends or regulars to do the same. Participate in link exchanges with other reputable shops.

Patience. If it doesn't flourish right away, that doesn't mean no customers will come. People are picky about their art and it's not going to appeal to everyone.

And, as always, never give someone the finished product before they give you the gold. Always show them a heavily watermarked version of the final, accept the payment, then give them the completed clean version of their artwork. Otherwise, they can save it to their hard drive and vanish. Protect yourself.

Daypaw

Hardened Member

Paradoxismminant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 pm
I'd be happy to^^.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Also, a great guide to shops is Djubre's guide/  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 pm
User Image
Also dont make your artwork too expensive, look around and see what other shops are selling the same style artwork for. If your is more epensive than theres you wont get much business.

Remember - If you wouldn't buy it for that price, neither would someone else =]
Even the smallest feline is a masterpieceUser Image

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

Iridesence

4,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:19 pm
Thank you for all the advice everybody, it's really helpful!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 pm
Iridesence
I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to set up an art shop and maybe give me some tips, I'm pretty clueless sweatdrop
Do you still need help with this? c:
8 more posts till I can apply to become a mentor~

kal94

benakittie

Professional Lunatic

9,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:32 am
It's best to start out making some freebies. It doesn't put too much pressure on you and gives you a little practice. Sometimes people will tip you and if you feel confident enough you can even look in art requests and post the freebies you did if they want examples of your work. Art shops are pretty easy if you get the hang of it. Don't forget to ask the people you do freebies for to help spread the word for you once you have a shop. Sometimes if someone likes the art you did for them they'll refer you. Good luck! And remember to treat all customers well. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:45 am
I was actually wondering about the same thing. Thank you, this was helpful!  

Silvermoonfall

Moonlight Shapeshifter

7,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items