Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Is anime art?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is anime art?
  No
  Yes
View Results

Anima Persona

3,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm
Well I find myself on DA a lot, nothing unusual to spend hours browsing through peoples art. I noticed there is an issue between artists who draw manga and anime, and the artists who draw realistic art. They say anime is not ART, I disagree. To be honest I myself who finds it easier to draw realism than drawing cartoons. But it doesn't matter on which is easier to draw. I have seen some anime drawings, maybe it won't be as breathe taking as the Sistine chapel. But I recognize hard work when I see it.

So I believe it is art and so it should be treated as such.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:23 am
All anime falls under the category of graphic, graphic is one of the 4 category that all art is defined by, the other three being rubberhose (organic), mixed, and anatomical. If one believes anime not to be art, then they will also have to accept comic book, and graphic design not to be art as well, since both of these also fall under the category of graphic.  

thug to the limit

Anima Persona

3,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:35 pm
thug to the limit
All anime falls under the category of graphic, graphic is one of the 4 category that all art is defined by, the other three being rubberhose (organic), mixed, and anatomical. If one believes anime not to be art, then they will also have to accept comic book, and graphic design not to be art as well, since both of these also fall under the category of graphic.

Well said.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 pm
*smack forhead* Oi

Art is a lot of things. People express themselves through a lot of different mediums of art. Music, poetry, drawing, painting, tagging, designing, dance and soo on.
So if considering all that is art than why would drawing a certain style not art. Art is not confined to drawing or painting. Art is several thing. Pottery is art and that is not drawn or painted. Sculptures and statues are art and those were neither drawn or painted. Music is art and it is written like poetry.

Art is such a broad topic so as to nark one small thing is really quite pointless and shows your a** and several other colorful words that are not to be said in front of small children.  

Ren-wuvs-you

Beloved Man-Lover

Fansub

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:41 pm
Anime and realism aren't mutually exclusive. If you want to be good at drawing anime, you have to be able to draw realism first.

Also, I have been a reg in AD for years and I've never seen people saying that anime isn't art.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 pm
I agree with Pinkutan's response. Anime/manga is art but without understanding the basics of art, said anime/manga is going to look poorly done. Most people I know who dislike anime and manga in general do not like that most people try to draw it without drawing realistically first, not for the style itself not being 'artistic enough'.  

Whispers of the Forsaken

Existinceds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:24 pm
I believe anime is art. I mean come on. If you can consider some lines going in different directions draw by some famous artist, art, then you can definately count anime as art.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:30 pm
Pinkutan
Anime and realism aren't mutually exclusive. If you want to be good at drawing anime, you have to be able to draw realism first.

Also, I have been a reg in AD for years and I've never seen people saying that anime isn't art.

I have to agree with this. Without solid foundations your art will come out s**t no matter the style you draw in.  

Nathaniel Mea

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items