Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Would you be annoyed too?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:19 pm
I applied to the mural artist program of a volunteer organization this morning.

In the application, you're asked to give your artistic background. (Or attach a resume). I did so, listing my previous art degree and the one I'm currently working on. I linked to my DA gallery and I mentioned that I volunteered with them last year.

I got a reply asking me to submit a letter of recommendation from the school. I understand asking for a high school student to do so, but seriously? After a previous art degree?

I think it's ridiculous that they're asking me to jump through hoops to VOLUNTEER to sketch murals in elementary schools. I brought a group with me last year, expecting to be in and out in two hours. The four of us ended up doing the ENTIRE SCHOOL, because no one else showed up. There was another school planned for the same day and not a single person showed up for that one.

Maybe the would get more volunteers if they didn't make it so difficult to volunteer in the first place.

Check out the mural gallery. Cause they need proof that artists can meet their standards. neutral

Has anyone done any art related volunteer work before? Did it work out for you?
Any plans to?
If it didn't work out for you, do you think it would stop you from volunteering again?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 pm
        Are you kidding me? Jeez, that's just over complicating things, especially since you already had previous experience. Man, it's like they're not even trying to get people to come do it for free. :/

Unless painting the Spirit Week wall counts, then no, not really any art related volunteer work, unfortunately. xD
        I am part of the crew of our school play, Beauty and the Beast, so hopefully we'll get to do more scenery and props and things. (Cause they have like none every year. :/ )
        I would love to do more art related stuff. It's usually fun and gives me community service hours to boot.

Also, things not working out if a part of life, so I don't think it would stop me. Maybe I wouldn't do that particular type of work, but I'd still volunteer, haha C:

Umbra Tiger

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:17 am
Haha. It's funny that you posted this. They called me yesterday and asked me to come out on the 23rd. Considering that I laughed and said, "Right. Good luck with that." after being told I had to submit the portfolio. They must be desperate for people, which means I have to find a team to go with me or I'll be alone in the school.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:45 pm
        xD
        Good luck getting a group together. It'd suck so bad to be by yourself. It'll be okaaaay.

Umbra Tiger

Look

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:10 pm
Maybe they asked for recommendation letters because last time so many people didn't show up.

But then again, this is not a paid job, so they should just allow anyone come and work on the mural.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games