Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
How come it takes a critique...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ahiru_chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:47 pm
I still find critiques a bit hard to take especially when I am very roud of something. At the same time, I still want them because improvement is so slow without critique and I want to constantly progress  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:50 pm
I like critiques because it's way faster for me to improve if I'm told where I can fix my problems from more seasoned professionals.

And as an aside, the only reason people refer to other "styles" (term used loosely here) is because someone else already did all the hard work, figured out how to solve certain problems of translating a 3D world to a 2D plane and you can benefit greatly from taking a shortcut on learning by studying what they did. You don't HAVE to do this of course, but it's not a ding against your style so much as a tip to get ahead quickly.

Of course, I have very different goals for my art since I make my living off it. It's fine to avoid critique if you're doing it for yourself or you're just doing it for fun. If you're ever considering doing it as a living critiques and feedback are things you'll have to get used to very quickly and not let it get to you personally, regardless of how much time you've spent on your piece.  

akanekun

Informer

Tavis Harts

12,975 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 pm
I like critiques however I have learned when I can accept them and when I can't.

While I am working on a picture or about 3 days+ after I am finished with it I accept it really well and it helps me improve greatly. I love critiques during this period.

Within that 3 day period I've notice I tend to be easier to annoy. I guess its something of a frustration that I'm finally done and now have something new to work on with the piece or I still feel too attached to the art. As such I normally post it and then only read the comments a few days later. rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 pm
Well I do not like BAD critique ... there is a line between critique and art bashing.. and sometimes people cross that line and end up doing more harm than good. The Idea is to get the artist some pointers and stuff the artist can use. Not make the artist wanna crawl in a corner and never do art again.  

Ryo Skylight

Sparkly Prophet

6,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers