Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Help a newbie

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

umbarildododa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 pm
I and my friends at school are trying to make a small group of D&D players, most of us playing a true campaign for the first time. One of my friends and I have done a lot of research and tried to understand the game as best we can.

In order to both enjoy the game, we're going to take turns DMing, and play characters that are a bit different than the player's. His, I don't know about yet, but mine is going to be a Doppleganger Sorceror masquerading as a human.

Putting aside whether this is a good idea or not, as we don't have many options, how should I change the playing of this character? The people at the table won't know of this, except the other DM. How do I play it so they don't find out, or how do I make it dramatically pleasing for them to find it? I'm new at this, though our story is good.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28 pm
It's YOUR character, no one should tell you how to play it. If you thinking a Changeling Sorcerer is a kickass character to play, go for it.

Not sure which edition you're playing, but if this is 4th, then you shouldn't have any problems playing your vision of a character. No negative scores means you can play any class unrestricted, which is great. Many will tell you to play Rogue if you're playing as a Changeling, because if their natural Dex skills as well as being able to shapeshift, but like I said, play what you want to play, not what everyone else wants you to play. After all, the point is to have fun, eh?  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

iDragow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:09 pm
I agree with Keith.

As for the letting them find out bit, you could have your character act very suspicious, but never give away just what he's doing until deep into the game. They won't know whether you're even a good guy, let alone actually human. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 pm
I'd say it depends on the reason he's masquerading as human.  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:52 pm
It's easy, become a human and stay that way. Nobody will ever find you out. Oh, and try not to die, that'll totally give you away.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:07 am
Arc Vembris
It's easy, become a human and stay that way. Nobody will ever find you out. Oh, and try not to die, that'll totally give you away.

I wish that was the only way to find out about Changelings lol.
True Seeing, and spells/abilities that force shape changers back in to their original forms will do it. and anyone that looks to closely and can beat your disguise skill check with a spot, will know something is up, but this is more for if you're trying to act/look like someone else. and there is prolly other waysw I can't think of atm lol. but I guess if you're DMing you don't have to worry about it lol  

Seiryna

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff