Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Henshin Imperium

Back to Guilds

Where the worlds of Power Rangers and Tokusastu (Sentai and Kamen Rider) collide. 

Tags: Role Playing, Kamen Rider, Sentai, Henshin, Tokusatsu 

Reply Imperium HQ
Americanization vs Original-Original vs Remakes/Diff. Takes Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your Thoughts?
  Original is Always Better, no matter what.
  Depends on WHOSE doing it and HOW their doing it.
  No take on this. Gold.
View Results

Mr Jes
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:57 pm
A mini discussion with Saicosis gave me this idea.

A hear a lot of hardcore Tokusatsu/anime fans saying that every time America acquires the rights to dub a Sentai, Kamen Rider, or Anime they mess it horribly in some fashion or another. Personally I think some shows like Dragon Knight (Kamen Rider Ryuki) and FUNimation's dub of the anime of One Piece are fine examples of what American companies can do if they are committed to making the show their bringing over is close to the original (Or being Original In their Own Right OR Listening the Fans) as possible. Another example with this is Original VS. Remakes or Different takes (see also the new Star Trek movie.) I want to hear your take on this.

Discuss. Keep it civil though!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm
Well there are some good aspects to having a dub version of a japanese show but then there are drawbacks. Like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, great idea, good cast, a little iffy with the dubbing on occasion but oh well. Now as for other shows, well some do horrible jobs, the americanized kamen rider black rx, Masked Rider, very very poor execution. That show was cancelled before a good ending episode was thought of.

Now i personaly think that if they decided to keep the rider war idea for kamen rider dragon knight i might have been more interested in that particular series. But as is i am not happy.

Oh and some Power rangers actualy improved certain things from the original super sentai series...power rangers turbo being one. If anyone has not seen the japanese original carranger, yeah you might feel the same way as i do. The japanese one was a bit over saturated with traffic and vehicle safety.

Now please...no flameing me for this sweatdrop  

Saicosis7

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Mr Jes
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:30 pm
Fair enough.

In KRDK, I liked the idea it was going in as I considered it different then Ryuki's plot. Granted, what I know about Ryuki is mostly from Wikpedia.

But what are some of the drawbacks (and pros) of having a dubbed version of a Japanese show? I know some of both I just want to hear your opinions.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:23 pm
Well for drawbacks its several things. One is the scripts..often time they have poor grammer or even timing when it comes to the dubbing. Oh and then there are some actors that dont know what they are doing and mess up with their timing..or their intensity. Honnestly some of them cant make an angry sound to save their lives.

As for pros...only one i can think of right now is lack or reading cause no subtittles.  

Saicosis7

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Mr Jes
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 pm
Cons: 4Kids Entertainment and Saban's Masked Rider.

Pros: FUNimation. Though I can't figure out any other good pros. I know for a fact there's others. xp

Just thought of two, originality and improving what's being dubbed. Something you've already touched on.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:14 pm
Just noticed that in the poll at least two people said that the original is always better, no matter what.

What I want to know is why. confused  

Mr Jes
Captain

JusticeMaid21

Friendly Gaian

8,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:24 pm
Now, I've never seen any of the Power Ranger series in their original format, but I have watched original anime then watched the dubbed version.

Con of original: Sometimes the voice actors for a man are obviously a woman and it makes the character sound....for lack of a better word....stupid. Of course that happens with the dub too, but....

con of dubs: They MEGA botch some relationships. Certain animes can't even be shown in the US on daytime television because of the whole homosexual characters thing. Sometimes they can sneak it in there without too many people noticing (Like in Naruto) but still...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:53 pm
JusticeMaid21
Now, I've never seen any of the Power Ranger series in their original format, but I have watched original anime then watched the dubbed version.

Con of original: Sometimes the voice actors for a man are obviously a woman and it makes the character sound....for lack of a better word....stupid. Of course that happens with the dub too, but....

con of dubs: They MEGA botch some relationships. Certain animes can't even be shown in the US on daytime television because of the whole homosexual characters thing. Sometimes they can sneak it in there without too many people noticing (Like in Naruto) but still...

Not just the homosexual thing but other aspects as well. Some anime have sexual situations like crazy...others have extreme violence. then there are those with partial nudety, or complete nudety. And thanks to certain people alot of these anime's get downed because of those things and yet all in all they are great. Great stories, animation, characters, you name it. But of course they often dont get the chance to be aired for those reasons...wich is a shame.  

Saicosis7

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm
I haven't seen much to compare specifically setai & similar, but in series & movies in general, it is usually like this:
Dubbing in a different language is often crap, but it can be done at least fairly well.
I prefer texting.
(I'm from Sweden, we're used to texting here, only children's movies & series are dubbed, normally.)

Remakes are different:
If enough people that is making the remake understands and respects the original, and manages to get that through well enough to the rest of those who make the remake, then the remake might even become better than the original.
Sadly, this doesn't happen very often.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:12 pm
Tiina Brown
I haven't seen much to compare specifically setai & similar, but in series & movies in general, it is usually like this:
Dubbing in a different language is often crap, but it can be done at least fairly well.
I prefer texting.
(I'm from Sweden, we're used to texting here, only children's movies & series are dubbed, normally.)

Remakes are different:
If enough people that is making the remake understands and respects the original, and manages to get that through well enough to the rest of those who make the remake, then the remake might even become better than the original.
Sadly, this doesn't happen very often.

True on all counts.

There's only few good companies out there that can make a good dub or remake. Like FUNImation, then again I'm biased when it comes to them.  

Mr Jes
Captain

Ayame Ubi
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm
I messed up meant to hit the second, but hit the first by mistake  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:31 pm
Funimation is okay sometimes but not always. They often clean up the anime they are dubbing...in language and content. Why is it okay to view and hear certain things in japan but not here? It cant be because we are moraly better in america...when Japan they dont care and yet...look how stable they are. It boggles the mind.  

Saicosis7

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Mr Jes
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 pm
Saicosis7
Funimation is okay sometimes but not always. They often clean up the anime they are dubbing...in language and content. Why is it okay to view and hear certain things in japan but not here? It cant be because we are moraly better in america...when Japan they dont care and yet...look how stable they are. It boggles the mind.

LIke I said, I'm biased. They dub my favorite anime, One PIece. xd

And yeah, that's always bothered me. Japanese shows of this type never shield they're audience from everyday facts of life, such as death and blood, (Not sayin' its everyday, but you get what I mean.) and their culture is stable, why can't America be so?

Damn corporate heads and lazy parents. mad  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 am
Mr Jes
Saicosis7

And yeah, that's always bothered me. Japanese shows of this type never shield they're audience from everyday facts of life, such as death and blood, (Not sayin' its everyday, but you get what I mean.) and their culture is stable, why can't America be so?

More like whiny parents. Yeah cause you got some parents that go nuts if their child, who might i add is exposed to far worse in public schools these days, sees an animated body parts. Seriously its getting annoying. These parents are more worried about what the see in a cartoon that what they see in real life. Granted some shows are not for kids...Witchblade for one, but still good show. But just because of that they go loopy and call the freakin FCC *suddenly hears that song from family guy*  

Saicosis7

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Mr Jes
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 am
Saicosis7
Mr Jes
Saicosis7

More like whiny parents. Yeah cause you got some parents that go nuts if their child, who might i add is exposed to far worse in public schools these days, sees an animated body parts. Seriously its getting annoying. These parents are more worried about what the see in a cartoon that what they see in real life. Granted some shows are not for kids...Witchblade for one, but still good show. But just because of that they go loopy and call the freakin FCC *suddenly hears that song from family guy*

That what I was trying to get at, thank you.

When I said lazy, I was referring to PGE (wwe).  
Imperium HQ

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff