Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 4:: Topic: Water.
Taking Water for Granted Story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shinseimori

Distinct Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 pm
Last year we went RVing to our lot upstate NY. It's a very, very rural place. The closest shop is a general store, which takes 1hr to get to from our lot and if it's closed, the town of Norwich is much farther. Before we left our home to go upstate, I made sure we had enough food, water and supplies for the next 3 days.

However, things don't always go as smoothly as one plans. We weren't even at the lot yet, and I noticed that our RV began leaking water from the holding tank! The good water!

By the time we got to our lot, we lost several gallons of water. At times I caught my dad brushing his teeth with the water running, leaving the faucet on for long periods of time and forgetting to turn off the water pump.

On the second day, the water pump stopped working because it got overheated and we ran outta water, completely. We tried to take water from the neighbor's well, but it had a lock on it. I brought a large container, strapped it to my back and climbed down the valley to get water from our stream. It was extremely heavy and difficult carrying it back up the steep ridge and rocks.

We boiled the water, but it was only enough to for us and the dogs to drink. Without water, we couldn't take a proper shower, so the next day we had to leave. That was the major drawback of the trip, but other than that, it was great being in the mountains again!

I wrote this because every day, the average person takes fresh water for granted. When you are in the wilderness, suddenly you realize how precious water is and how much you want to conserve every drop of it. Ever since that trip, I have been even more conscious of the amount of water that we use.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:52 pm
Thank you for posting this. Wonderful. Three thumbs up. (That's one more than normal. wink )  

Complete_Spazz
Captain

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:10 pm
What a trip that must have been! Thanks for posting that...I've had less dramatic experiences with taking water for granted, but even in normal circumstances I feel terrible for using more water than I need. I get downright nasty when my family wastes it.

Me: (notices hot water running over a frozen food package to defrost) Dad.... *shuts off*
Dad: Why did you do that?!
Me: There are far better ways to defrost food.... *evil glare*
Dad: ...fine....o.o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 am
That's a great story you shared! :O
Thanks!

As for Silas, my dad does that with chicken, and since our family freezelocks them, you'd think he'd run hot water over the bag and then we'd water the garden with em or something... nope! He opens the plastic, sticks the body in a steel bowl and runs water directly over the animal to thaw it out!

Meaning if we collected it and watered the garden w/said water we'd likely get salmonella emo  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
4:: Topic: Water.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items