Welcome to Gaia! ::

~In His World~ A Sonic Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild for Sonic Fans and Sonic Roleplayers. 

Tags: Sonic, Roleplay, Hedgehog, Role, Play 

Reply ◊Sonic Discussion◊
Knuckles the last echidna? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zorathehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:16 am
Okay, so we all know Knuckles is the last of his kind. That's undebatable. But last of his kind... does that really mean all echidnas and not just those of his tribe? I mean just because the mohikans were eradicated doesn't mean all Indians are wiped off the Earth, right? Can anyone link me to where cannon explicitly states Knuckles to be the last of all echidnas and not just of his echidna tribe?
I've been wondering about this for a while. I mean... is it logical for a whole species to die out just that suddenly?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:55 am
I believe when they mention 'the last of his kind' they mean JUST his tribe. The echidna race wouldn't have become extinct so easily, and if you refer back to the recent game, Sonic Chronicles, you notice the new character Shade is an echidna. So if they were saying that the echidna species in general was wiped out, there'd be the loop hole with Shade.

So in this case, I believe they're mentioning that his tribe was wiped out. Not all echidnas. This also varies depending on which canon you're referring to. For example, the Sonic Archie comics has Knuckles' tribe still growing (at least, the last time I read the comics that's what was happening. I don't know if it has changed since then).  

Scars-of-an-Undead
Crew

Friendly Camper

Zorathehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:23 am
a-HA! There goes the "no echidna"-rule! *broke the laws of Sonic roleplays*
I've heard somewhere that Chronicles wasn't really canon, but then again, it could be subjective. However, it still doesnt' change the fact that a species doesn't die just like that.
Awesome. Now people are free to make echidnies again XP I understand people who don't want echidnas, foxes or hedgehogs for the sake of originality, but one can't use this excuse if what you say is true. If so, the restriction should be "no echidnas of the Knuckles tribe on Angel Island".  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 am
I THINK when people are saying the "no echidnas rule", I think they mean no echidna's from Knuckles' tribe (just like you mentioned). If they mean no echidnas cause they went extinct, well, that's just really stupid in my opinion >_>

All of the Sonic games are canon, considering they've been published and manufactured. But I have read somewhere (I believe Nintendo Power) that stated that they did an interview with some of the producers, and many of them said that Sonic has several universes and archetypes. That's why we get things such as Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic and the Secret Rings even though other games and comics have mentioned he's from the future.

I must admit the echidnas restriction is a tad bit annoying, but like you mentioned, it might be because they want fan-characters to be a little more original? Something along those lines I think smile  

Scars-of-an-Undead
Crew

Friendly Camper

Zorathehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Scars-of-an-Undead
I THINK when people are saying the "no echidnas rule", I think they mean no echidna's from Knuckles' tribe (just like you mentioned). If they mean no echidnas cause they went extinct, well, that's just really stupid in my opinion >_>

All of the Sonic games are canon, considering they've been published and manufactured. But I have read somewhere (I believe Nintendo Power) that stated that they did an interview with some of the producers, and many of them said that Sonic has several universes and archetypes. That's why we get things such as Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic and the Secret Rings even though other games and comics have mentioned he's from the future.

I must admit the echidnas restriction is a tad bit annoying, but like you mentioned, it might be because they want fan-characters to be a little more original? Something along those lines I think smile

Nu-uh, it's a "no echidna" rule, never says anything about specific echidnas. Also, for the originality to apply, I do believe
1)No foxes should be appropriate
2)Species does not reveal originality or lack thereof

Granted, a Sonic recolour called "Speed the hedgehog" who can run faster than Sonic and is green (curse your awesome signature XD) IS unoriginal, but would be so even if he was an ozelot. I don't make hedgehogs, simply because I DO want to be original, however sometimes you make a character and the only fitting animal really is a hedgehog. I think people should be free to choose their species, and shift focus to what really matters within a character. Ah well. Most hedgehog characters ARE unoriginal, so I can't say it's a horrible rule to stop the hedgehog army razz  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:44 pm
Personally I disdain echidna fan characters, and Shade came from a different dimension anyhow. Chronicles was set in more of an Archie comic setting, which I love as well, but eh, lol.  

ice ethereal

Zorathehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:47 pm
Tails Kaiba
Personally I disdain echidna fan characters, and Shade came from a different dimension anyhow. Chronicles was set in more of an Archie comic setting, which I love as well, but eh, lol.

Do you disdain them for being unoriginal since many people have them, or for the reason of Knuckles being "the last?" As I have stated, I have not found any ledgit source confirming that he is the last of ALL echidnas. Echidnas live in Australia, shouldn't there be some in Downunda as well? *just guessing*  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 pm
Well, Downunda is comic canon, not game canon.

I think all the Moibian echidnas are gone, except Knuckles. That just leaves the echidnas in the Twilight Cage. Any echidna characters trying to fit into canon would have to be from that clan/tribe/whatever. Unless they're like artificially created or time travelers or something.

Species only correlates to originality in the case of recolors and knock-offs, in my experience. I've seen plenty of original hedgehog, fox, and echidna characters. Noobs just flock to them because they're easy to recolor.  

Tspuun

Zorathehedgehog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:37 am
Tspuun
Well, Downunda is comic canon, not game canon.

I think all the Moibian echidnas are gone, except Knuckles. That just leaves the echidnas in the Twilight Cage. Any echidna characters trying to fit into canon would have to be from that clan/tribe/whatever. Unless they're like artificially created or time travelers or something.

Species only correlates to originality in the case of recolors and knock-offs, in my experience. I've seen plenty of original hedgehog, fox, and echidna characters. Noobs just flock to them because they're easy to recolor.

Wasn't Marine from there too? And if I remember right (correct my noobiness) she's in a game. Also, is it ever explicitly stated that "ALL mobian echidnas are gone"?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:14 am
Marine is from Blaze's dimension, which is separate from the Twilight cage. '06 didn't happen. I like to pretend it never existed.

In Chronicles, Knuckles is surprised to see echidnas, and while I don't remember his dialogue well enough to quote it, it's pretty clear he hasn't seen another (living) echidna since...well, ever.  

Tspuun

Zorathehedgehog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:07 am
Tspuun
Marine is from Blaze's dimension, which is separate from the Twilight cage. '06 didn't happen. I like to pretend it never existed.

In Chronicles, Knuckles is surprised to see echidnas, and while I don't remember his dialogue well enough to quote it, it's pretty clear he hasn't seen another (living) echidna since...well, ever.

Ah, I see. However, Knuckles is an isolated character and they haven't travelled all around the world looking for echidnas, right?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 pm
I doubt it. No one else has seen any, either. My headcannon is that Knuckles is the last echidna on Mobius. Shut up it's Mobius not Earth dammit!

But then, that still doesn't quite rule out time travel or artificial lifeforms. I would so make a time-traveling echidna character if I didn't already have too many characters to keep tack of.  

Tspuun

Doom55555

Invisible Hunter

8,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 pm
Well in the comics there are more echidnas in the video game one there is only shade and tikel but she dousint count since shes part of the master emerld....but anyways I think there are outhers out there that Knuckles dosint know about....he just needs to leave floting island.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 pm
No one mentions geckos either, doesn't mean they don't exist. There's only one fox, doesn't mean others don't exist. I can't stress enough how much it bothers me to limit people so much in their character making.  

Zorathehedgehog

Tspuun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm
It really depends how strictly you're adhering to canon. Strictly canonically, Knuckles has been called the last of his kind about a billion times. There was a tribe of echidnas, they were all wiped out, except Knuckles in the distant future somehow. Maybe some of them escaped Chaos' wrath, but they seem to have dwindled down to just Knuckles.

No one gets pissy about geckos because there isn't a gecko character who has repeatedly been stated to be the last of his kind and is shocked when he meets a group of geckos from another dimension.

I'm not saying no echidnas ever. But if you have an echidna who isn't from the Twilight Cage, you're going against canon. How much of a damn anyone gives depends entirely on the RP.  
◊Sonic Discussion◊

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff