Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
Flying alone for the first time. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:56 am
Hey guys!

So, I'm leaving tomorrow for Chicago, where I'll be for a little over a week on a community service trip. I'll be flying alone for the very first time (I'm 17), and I admit -- I'm a bit nervous about it!

Do you have any advice for me? My parents are kind of freaking out, too, which doesn't help ease my nerves. sweatdrop

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:51 pm
You're going to Chicago? eek

I live just a couple hours away from The Windy City. biggrin  

The Revered One

1,150 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:30 pm
How fun. :}

I don't really have any great tips, per se. Just things to keep in mind that I'm pretty sure you'd already know.

Remember to wear shoes that are easy to slip in and out of for when going through security. If you have a laptop in your carry-on, make it easily accessible since it will have to go in its own tray. I prefer not to wear a belt. They sometimes set off the detector, but... I also find it uncomfortable to sit in an airplane seat that long with a belt restricting my movement even more. Bring a jacket. It can make a nice blanket or pillow.

Make sure you have a neck pillow. Inflatable neck pillows pack well. Since you're alone, you don't want to risk falling asleep and leaning on someone else's shoulder. A neck pillow should help. It's also good for resting your head and just closing your eyes and pretending that you're asleep.

Bring headphones. If you don't want to chat to the person next to you for the entire flight, headphones are a good cue that you can't hear them...
Also, if you are busy with a book or a crossword, you'll have less people try to make random conversation with you. Random conversation is good here and there, but it's often about where you're headed, where you've come from, what you plan to do, what you do for a living, how old you are, etc. You're probably best off to avoid any random conversation because it's hard to make it sound like you're not traveling alone, when there's no one else with you.

If you have a layover, remember to check the screens to see if there are any delays or gate changes. There are also people waiting once you get off the plane to assist anyone if they need directions or flight info.
Layovers are a good time to get food. Find your gate first, then head to the nearest food place if you have the time.

When heading to baggage pickup, know where you're going. But, it's also a good tip to follow the flow of most of the people who got off your flight with you. A crowd usually ends up walking to the terminals together.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:32 pm
Really? I am thirteen and I have been on alot of planes. Honestly, it is nothing to worry about. Just wear confortable clothes and you will do fine.  

Toxxic XD

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:45 pm
Wow! Thanks for the great advice, sdrawkcab! I'll definitely keep those suggestions in mind!

And I have flown on planes before, Toxxic -- I've just never flown without my parents taking care of papers, security, baggage, and -- as silly as it sounds -- comfort before taking off. My mom and I hold hands and pray an Our Father before every flight we go on together, haha. It's just going to feel a bit weird going alone. x3  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:34 pm
Quote:
And I have flown on planes before, Toxxic -- I've just never flown without my parents taking care of papers, security, baggage, and -- as silly as it sounds -- comfort before taking off.

The secret with the paper, security and baggage stuff is a good preparation.
Check at home that you have all necessary papers, keep them, where you can easily access them and at a place you remember.
Inform yourself about the rules concerning baggage and handluggage (weight, size, things you aren't allow to carry) and stick to the rules.
And arrive early, it may be boring, but better two hours too early than 2 minutes too late. The more time you have, the less stressful it usually is.
But I guess you and your parents will do this together, so there is nothing to worry.

If you are at the airport/at the plane and you feel that you are becoming afraid, you get lost or you have any kind of problem, ask for help. It is the job of the staff to help and most people are surprisingly helpful, too, if you just ask.

And when you have returned savely I'll tell you the story of my first flight.

@freaking out parents:
I'm afraid that is part of their job description: Parents just have to freak out the first time the girl gets on a date, drives the car alone, travels alone...
It is the parental instinct, they can't fight against it.

ChimeBell

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:43 pm
My advice: Don't get on that one plane that crashes. We'll miss you if you do D:  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:58 pm
I think sdrawkcab covered basically everything. xD
I see your situation. Hm.

Maybe bring some snacks to distract you? That's what I would do. :3 I would also talk to my mother until the flight takes off.  

Elemental Doll

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:13 pm
maui boy no ka oi
My advice: Don't get on that one plane that crashes. We'll miss you if you do D:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

WOW, THANKS, MAUI.

Aww, thanks for the advice, you guys! ^__^ Yeah, tonight's the night of prep; so I've got to start getting ready!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:37 pm
Good luck! heart  

Elemental Doll

SoulRIZer

Chatty Regular

9,900 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:42 pm
Ebony have fun there!....good luck...its gonna be fine! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 pm
xd  

mahi poi no ka oi

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Thanks, everyone! ^__^  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:19 am
Don't talk to strangers ( except maybe the person sitting next to you?) depending on how sociable you want to be.

Always mind your P's and Q's.

Always know your plan and back up plan just in case your flight is delayed or something.

Fly to Texas and come say Hi to me in beautiful Austin. smile  

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:21 am
maui boy no ka oi

Yeah, better make sure your psychic powers are honed, there Ebony. xP  
☆ Word Games

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces