Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Marketplace help (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dah 808 boi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:47 pm
Any tips to selling in the marketplace? I'm having a bit of trouble selling my stuff in the time I allow to sell. Any help is appreciated smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:58 pm
I moved this to the Question & Answer forum so you can get better responses.

As for selling in the marketplace, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Do you put things up for sale and then they don't sell but just expire? If so, I imagine either
1) you're pricing them too high, and/or
2) they are items that are too commonly available.

Maybe you could give a few examples of "failed sales." Good luck!  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

dah 808 boi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:08 pm
K I think that the reason is cuz my items are too common maybe I should start saving gold instead of spending it on all kinds of stuff. Thank you for your help. One more question though, do some of the starter items really sell for a large amount of gold in the market ?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 am
User Image
Sadly they dont.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpieceUser Image

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:34 am
dah 808 boi
K I think that the reason is cuz my items are too common maybe I should start saving gold instead of spending it on all kinds of stuff. Thank you for your help. One more question though, do some of the starter items really sell for a large amount of gold in the market ?

Yes.
Look at the graphs to see the average prices that people buy items for.

The starter items shouldn't sell for more than store price, but but some do. This doesn't mean that they'll be easy to sell. Lots of people like to sell items for more than they're worth. And, sometimes, people will actually buy them. I think they don't know to check the gold shop.

Here's an example:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/16439
The store price is 5g and the item is available in H.R. Wesley. However, the average buy price is 82g.
Under the dress icon is a button that says "show graphs." You can see the average amount of gold that people have been buying that item for. On average, people buy the dress for more than 5g.
Those people should be buying it for 5g from H.R. Wesley, but are instead wasting their gold in the marketplace.
I know 80g isn't a large amount, but it's an example. There are other starter items that sell for more, but they shouldn't either. XD;

Pay attention to the graphs and the average buy price of an item. The graphs will show you the average price that people buy items for. You can see whether an item has been increasing in value, decreasing in value or staying the same.

Gold shop items keep the same store price (not Dernier*Cri items though). If someone is selling a gold shop item for more than the store price, buy it from the shop instead.

Here's another example:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/7172
Available From: Junk in the Trunk
Store Price: 2 gold
Lowest Buy Now Price: 999g
Average Buy Price: 1,129g

But.... if you check the graphs, you'll see that the average buy price is only high because of a recent sale. People usually buy the item at a value closer to zero.

Be careful, an item isn't always worth the price of the "store price" attached.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/40758
For example, this item has a store price of 28,000g. It's not found in a store though. This item is obtained by playing Chance Items (CIs). CIs are sold from the Cash Shop. When you play a CI, you play for a chance at earning random items. This item is given a store price so that people can sell it "back to the store" for 14,000g. But, since the item is sort of rare, it actually sells in the marketplace for more.

If you're having trouble selling common items, some can be "sold back to the store." (We used to sell things back to the store, but the method has changed.)
Go to your inventory: http://www.gaiaonline.com/inventory
Click the item you want to sell.
An info box appears. Click "sell item." If that option does not appear, then the item can't be sold this way.
Any item sold back to the store is destroyed and you get gold worth half of the store price.

Example: Ocean Summer Top
The Store Price is 105g.
Sellback Value: 52g
Avg. Market Price: 41g

Since the item is given out in the Daily Chance carts, it's very common. It sells for a low price on the market. However, if you sell it back to the store, you get 50% of the store price. You'd be better off selling this item back to the store. In the marketplace, you'd get about 41g. If you sell back to the store (in your inventory), you get 52g.
You can only sell one item at a time through this method. If you have four Ocean Summer Tops and want to sell three of them, you'd have to click on the stack three separate times.

Some items can't be sold by this method. These are usually the items that come from the Cash Shop. These items can only be sold to other users through the marketplace or through haggling in the Exhcange Forum.
If an item is soulbound, you cannot remove it from your account. So, it can't be sold by any method.

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games