Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
Which one? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which One?
  Macbook
  Dell Mini
  Samsung Netbook
View Results

iToxicMoon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 am

I am going off to college in the fall, and therefore I am going to be purchasing a netbook of some kind in the near future.
Thus far, I have narrowed it down to three different netbooks:
-Macbook
-Dell
-Samsung.

I provided links.

So, my question to you is which would be best? I intend to use it mainly for school [notes, presentations, etc.]. Personal experience is much appreciated. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I know it's not on the list, but I highly recommend everything Hewlett Packard.

HP compies are reliable, durable, sleek, and long-lasting; trust me - I grew up with HP. Hell, I grew up with Compaq before HP bought it out. So from my seventeen years of being alive, I highly recommend HP out of my own personal experience with them.

Look at these babies! Look at their prices! heart

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 pm

I have experience with HP, which Ebony mentioned, but I also have a Dell netbook.

I love it- it works great, and if you're just going to be using it for school it should do just fine. The only trouble I've had with it (and this will be true for any netbook) is that it doesn't run games well because of the limited memory. I regularly factory restore mine just to keep it running at optimum, but even when I let it go, I don't have any trouble with it.

My desktop PC is an HP and has run beautifully for several years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:51 pm
All mentioned suck a lot including HP. Of all of them though, Samsung has proven to be the most reliable brand along with Toshiba. However I wouldn't recommend either as I'm rather sure their customer support sucks. What I would recommend is a velocity micro notebook. Expert craftmanship from top knotch parts. If anything happens to your notebook, they'll repair/replace it for you for free. Plus it's customizable.
http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=183  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:32 pm
maui boy no ka oi
All mentioned suck a lot including HP. Of all of them though, Samsung has proven to be the most reliable brand along with Toshiba.
My HP has served me reliably and beautifully for years, whereas my Toshiba has had problems left and right for the past three. confused (And yes, I take care of both.) Just throwing that out there.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:56 pm

I've never had a Toshiba computer, but I've had other Toshiba electronics that I wasn't impressed with. I'm also hesitant to purchase computers that aren't well known brands since we've purchased other expensive items from 'highly recommended good quality' suppliers that friends have sent us to in the past, and we've regretted it sorely.

At least with a large brand you're more assured that in two years the customer service line will still be there if you need them as opposed to out of business.

Daypaw

Hardened Member

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:52 am
Ebony the Peacian
maui boy no ka oi
All mentioned suck a lot including HP. Of all of them though, Samsung has proven to be the most reliable brand along with Toshiba.
My HP has served me reliably and beautifully for years, whereas my Toshiba has had problems left and right for the past three. confused (And yes, I take care of both.) Just throwing that out there.
Most HPs are alright, but they do have major hardware problems from time to time and the HP dock gets really annoying after a while. Toshibas have served the people I've know to own them pretty well (except one where the wire for a laptop broke but that was due to the owner's mishandling of it). Dells have a lot of driver and hardware problems so i wouldn't go that way either.

@Daypaw: Are you implying that Velocity Micro isn't a well known brand?
http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/velocity-micro/velocity-micro-raptor-z90-reviews-22001.htm
It's the highest end gaming computer company ATM ranking above even Alienware. Additionally, all their coms are hand-crafted and have a full warranty if anything goes wrong (even if you drop it and you shatter your video card, they'll replace it).  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 pm
maui boy no ka oi
Most HPs are alright, but they do have major hardware problems from time to time and the HP dock gets really annoying after a while. Toshibas have served the people I've know to own them pretty well (except one where the wire for a laptop broke but that was due to the owner's mishandling of it). Dells have a lot of driver and hardware problems so i wouldn't go that way either.

I go to a laptop school. That means that we all carry laptops to school - uniform models and brands. We all have Toshibas, but the computer lab has Macs and our tech support office as well as the lower school labs have HPs.

I worked in tech support this past year. Guess which computers never failed or had any major problems? You guessed it. The HPs. (Come to think of it, the Macs were pretty stable, too.) The Toshibas constantly had issues.

Now, are most of the malfunctions I dealt with the result of mistreatment of compies? I'm willing to bet that that's the case. However, I treat my computers very, very well -- with the utmost care. And though I've treated my Toshiba with the utmost care, I've had some problems in the past with my speakers, connecting to networks, etc. -- problems I've never had with an HP. Never.

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:41 pm

I've never heard of Alienware, either neutral

I have an old Dell that no longer connects to the internet, but it's ten years old and my dad pretty much destroyed it (multiple times) when it was used as our family PC, so I can't really call it manufacturing issues, it worked beautifully for years. It still works for everything else and I'm sure it would still connect if I put a direct line to it.

We have an HP that's brand new that works wonderfully that my dad is slowly doing the same thing to. He doesn't understand that downloading toolbars every time he wants to do a search is a horrible means by which to let viruses into the system and that blowing cigarette smoke onto the tower is bad for the hardware.

I can system restore all day long to clear out the software snafus, but there's only so much I can do to fix years of ware and tare on the computer its self. Not that dust won't eventually get in, anyway xD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 am
Ebony the Peacian
maui boy no ka oi

I go to a laptop school. That means that we all carry laptops to school - uniform models and brands. We all have Toshibas, but the computer lab has Macs and our tech support office as well as the lower school labs have HPs.

I worked in tech support this past year. Guess which computers never failed or had any major problems? You guessed it. The HPs. (Come to think of it, the Macs were pretty stable, too.) The Toshibas constantly had issues.

Now, are most of the malfunctions I dealt with the result of mistreatment of compies? I'm willing to bet that that's the case. However, I treat my computers very, very well -- with the utmost care. And though I've treated my Toshiba with the utmost care, I've had some problems in the past with my speakers, connecting to networks, etc. -- problems I've never had with an HP. Never.
http://www.pcmech.com/article/big-problems-with-wireless-in-hp-pavilion-notebooks/
It could have something to do with the model and year it was bought. I know that HP has had hardware issues while Dell has had hardware AND software issues (one didn't have the drivers for a webcam that was built into the com). Also you said that everyone carries a Toshiba and that the most likely cause of the malfunctions is mistreatment. As far as I can see, more n00bs holding on to computers=more computers that will need repair. My friend has a HP laptop, a Toshiba laptop, and a Dell desktop. I have a Dell desktop and a VM desktop. His desktop and my Dell have both had a lot of issues in the past while his HP laptop has a tendency to hang especially during heavy online activity such as gaming. His Toshiba only has one flaw and that's in the charging cord but that has nothing to do with the com. The com itself is about 4 years old and is still working. My VM desktop is 2 years old and has only hung twice due to overheating (98+ degrees room temp). In any case, as far as tech support/comp repair goes, the most common brand to be brought in here is Dell followed by HP followed by Samsung. So I go by that standard. Anyway I stick to my previous statement that VM makes the most reliable and flexible laptops.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:37 am

That is true -- about the fact that, because more people have Toshibas, more is likely to go wrong. And let's just say that some girls are less than entirely responsible for their $2,000 machines. confused

I, personally, prefer HP because it's what I grew up with and it's what's served me loyally (like Lassie, but a computer) for years. But whatever you choose, Toxic, just make sure that it has what you need. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 am
Also you may want to think of investing in a UMPC if you have the cash. It would make a great replacement for your iphone/whatever you have.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

iToxicMoon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:59 am

eek

That was quite the debate, but thanks guys 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:17 pm
Haha. Well I have a Dell laptop, and it works great, even though I'm generally pretty negligent in its care.  

KittyKat62

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:36 am
MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! DUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUN DUDUDUN DUN DUN DUN!!!!!  
☆ Word Games

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff