Reply Passport Japan日本のパスポート
Visit Japan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CaraD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 am
I thought there should be a thread for people who are currently in Japan or have visited it.

Me, I'm leaving for Fukuoka in four days! Wow! I'm curious if anyone has any tips for me. Its been years since I was last in Japan, literally ten years, and this time I'll be on my own living with a host family.

Have any of you lived with a host family? Done anything embarrassing in front of them? Or were you as nervous as I am now about the trip? smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 am
I'm not sure what a host family is. o-o;;
Care to explain? sweatdrop

Elemental Doll

LittleKaiju

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:20 pm
Elemental Doll
I'm not sure what a host family is. o-o;;
Care to explain? sweatdrop

The family you stay with,
'Japanese Family;' they act as your family while you stay in Japan.
If you can't afford to live in a dorm/etcetc, you stay at a volunteering family's house.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 am
I lived with two host families.

Just try to be open and friendly. Don't cling too much to things you assume to be true about the world. Keep an open mind. Try to pay attention to the things that aren't said, or what's really going on beyond what is said or behind the things they do (i.e. try to be considerate).

Depending on their experience, they may dote on you at first. Insist (really insist, cause they'll refuse at first) that you help out with things.

This is definitely a culture that rides on assumptions, so many things get unsaid and unshown (in front of you), but that doesn't mean they won't assume that you know what's going on anyway. When in doubt, just offer the same kind of courtesy you would back home. Japanese etiquette is way too complex (read: a**l) to worry about too much, unless you truly make an effort to study it.

Most of all: have fun! biggrin

Also... don't be too scared of cockroaches. From what I understand, they're inescapable in Fukuoka. twisted  

Kobekko

Shimakuwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:22 am
I've never lived with a host family though my grandmother wants me to do that, or live with her sister. I went to Japan (Tokyo and Takayama) when I was four and I'm going back this coming January, which I'm excited because I HAVE NOT BEEN IN COLD WEATHER FOR SO FREAKING LONG. D:< And I get to take a lot of photos, Yay for photography.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:33 pm
I've went to Japan with a program called "People to People" it's a student ambassador program. I went to Tokyo, Miyazaki, Gokase, Nagasaki, and Kyoto (In that order). I stayed with a host family in Gokase and they were really nice. In Tokyo I also climbed Mt. Fuji up to the sixth station (which is a little more than half way). I've seen many shrines and temples, as well as held a small conversation with a few random Japanese people. ^.^ I WANNA GO BACK SO BAD!!  

NamidaTaki

Ameha Pulir

950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:14 pm
CaraD
I thought there should be a thread for people who are currently in Japan or have visited it.

Me, I'm leaving for Fukuoka in four days! Wow! I'm curious if anyone has any tips for me. Its been years since I was last in Japan, literally ten years, and this time I'll be on my own living with a host family.

Have any of you lived with a host family? Done anything embarrassing in front of them? Or were you as nervous as I am now about the trip? smile

Oh my goodness, I don't know where to start. The host family I was staying with, were hard-core traditional tea drinkers, and apparently I wasn't putting my wrist into making the tea; so they took it and caught a picture of my extremely embarrassed face...but I would NEVER change anything about my home-stay...have fun and enjoy yourself. It won't help if you get worried. Though I recommend taking a dictionary with you xd  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm
I've stayed with one family that was officialy my host family and I've stayed with the family of the person who organized the whole thing too.
It's mostly like Kobekko says. They really dote on you at first. Just keep on insisting to help them. After a few days they normally let you razz It also helps to just start to help when they aren't paying attention. Make sure you are really helping them though.
Secondly, you can never be too polite.
And if you don't know anything, just ask them ^^

Shasita

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas