Reply The Beatles
Beatles Movies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

practicallyzen

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm
I can't remember if there is a Beatles movies thread around here somewhere already...I did check, and there is a non-Beatles Beatles movie thread but I didn't see a Beatles movie thread. How many times can I say "Beatle Movie Thread"? Anyway...

Here we can discuss the Beatles movies: A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be.

Which is your favourite and why, random thoughts and/or observations about them etc, etc...

Also feel free to discuss things like the First U.S. Visit, Anthology, etc if you wish.

I think my favourite is A Hard Day's Night. It's funny and silly without being completely ridiculous, and even though I know it's not the way they actually were - rather, it's a cheery, light, watered-down happied-up version of them - I still enjoy watching it and never really get sick of it. It was also quite a step forward in filmmaking and having been to film school, I have a soft spot for that sort of thing.

Help! is of course full of hilariousosity, and I like the music in it better, but every time I watch it I sort of wonder, "What the hell am I watching?". I do still love it, just not in the same way as AHDN.

Magical Myster Tour...uuuhh. I don't have much to say about it, really. Definitely not my favourite.

As for Let It Be...mostly I just find that it makes me too sad to watch it very often. The rooftop performance is quite amazing to see, and of course it's fascinating to see their interaction when recording the album, but it's upsetting to see them so distant from each other, and to know that it was so close to the end of the band.

Also, originally I forgot to add Yellow Submarine to this. I didn't think of it, I guess because they didn't do their own voices and all, but it is definitely still is a Beatles movie, with their music in it and all, so yeah. Me and my silly memory.

I like it. I don't absolutely adore it, but...well. It's pretty cool. And I've always been a sucker for animation; the way it's animated is great to watch.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 pm
I LOVE THE FIRST U.S. VISIT! ^~^
So awesome and funny~
0o0o0o0o0

asdfghjklyo

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Amoreista

Blessed Fairy

9,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:49 pm
I whole heartedly agree with your choices, Static

I never tire of AHDN it's comical genius.

My problems with Help are just that the boys semed to be playing extra's in their own movie next to the rest of the cast.

Magical Mystery Tour... o__0 oh boy..interesting? I did however enjoy the part with John, George and little Nicola but that asides from the songs was all I found entertaining. It was wacky to say the least..it didn't help that they nearly ended it with a strip show..naughty John and George.. >>

Let it Be makes me upset as well.. : (  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:13 pm
Why isn't 'Yellow Submarine' on this list? Sure, they were in it for two minutes but it's still a Beatles movie ><

AHDN: Classic musical/comedy. My favorite scene is definately when they're sitting with the uptight old man after the intro chase scene ^ - ^

HELP!: An entertaining action spoof as I see it, but same problem as Amoreista. Sometimes it makes me feel that the music and overall name was just used to sell tickets.

MMT: Interesting, to say the least. It's very strange, very confusing, very demented, very unconventional, yet very inspirational. I don't see why everyone hates it. I actually love it. And it has the 'I Am the Walrus' preformance! <3
Quick note; why does everyone blame Paul for it? Yeah, he came up with the idea, but John, George and Ringo were in the movie, too.

YS: My absolute favorite cartoon-movie ever, and possibly my favorite of the five Beatle movies. The news of a remake upsets me, but that CGI s**t better be spectacular and they better have some fricken' amazing voice actors and they really should stick on the original ending and that script better not be half-assed or I will find that writer and strangle him/her.
But I will definately see it in theaters.

LIB: Interesting to see the Beatles interact during the making of their "final" album, and the end preformance is absolutely amazing, but still  

The Little Fellow

practicallyzen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm
@ Day Tripped

MMT was Paul's baby...he really took charge of the whole thing. I get the impression that the others weren't into it. I don't think they originally wanted to do it, but Paul was all for it and made it happen.

And I actually forgot about Yellow Submarine. Added it to the first post.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:24 pm
isasm
I LOVE THE FIRST U.S. VISIT! ^~^
So awesome and funny~
0o0o0o0o0

I love it too. It's so great that they were comfortable with the cameramen so they were actually themselves in it, instead of putting on an act for the cameras the whole time. It's really a fantastic window into they way things really were around and between them back then.

It always makes me happy when I watch it.

I also just always find it so cool to see it from their perspective, and to see their reactions, driving in the car with all the girls screaming outside the windows!  

practicallyzen

The Little Fellow

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:22 pm
So Static
@ Day Tripped

MMT was Paul's baby...he really took charge of the whole thing. I get the impression that the others weren't into it. I don't think they originally wanted to do it, but Paul was all for it and made it happen.

And I actually forgot about Yellow Submarine. Added it to the first post.

True. I still love that hour-long sober acid-trip though ^ - ^

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:33 pm
I like Help! more because it's monty pythonish.  

A Tiny Kitten

Rainbow Cat

15,400 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
The Beatles

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items