Submit

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:23 pm
Quick backstory: On my birthday, my dad finally figured out I had like • of my profile blocked to him even though he was my friend on facebook. He also realized that my bro and sis did the same, and proceeded to delete me along with them and my mom.

Fast forward to today:
I leave my house this morning to help my friend move stuff from his current house to the house we're renting together. Get there, only go on facebook through my phone because he's playing x box. I have one new notification. Lo' and behold my dad has accepted my friend request! Wait what?! I never resent him a friend request. Judging by the time it happened it was pretty much right after I left my house. So, how could that have happened? Well, the only way is for my dad to have gotten on my computer and do it himself. When I put my computer on hibernate I don't have it password protect itself, so he took advantage of that and the fact that I have Chrome remember my info so I don't have to re-enter my password.

My response: Change my facebook password, delete my dad and have my bro shut down my computer so that it puts the password protection up. I am so livid. He always tells us to password protect out stuff, but really should I need it to protect my computer from my family?! Really? I just wish my dad would sack up and talk to me instead of sneak around me. He's also always talking s**t about me to my mom and spreading lies about me.

So yeah, how would you feel? Has something like this happened to you?

Update: He told my mom I sent this 'said' friend request a month ago and he just accepted it today. He told my mom about it because my most recent status indicating I was moving out of the house within the next few days., which I told her about anyways already like yesterday or the day before. I also told her first about him getting on my facebook. He thinks he's so slick and that the rest of us are so stupid.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:29 pm
That is some pretty shady s**t Xik.

Of course, I do that around my family as well...

And they wonder why I insist on making my own windows profile  

Arcanas

Hunter

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm
I'd say that you're correct in feeling as angry as you do. I've never had my family access my computer when I leave my house because 1) I never really leave. and 2) If I do leave, I log out and make sure that my password protection is up. If they try to log in and fail so many times, the computer locks itself and has to be restarted before any other attempts are made. Upon booting, I have a password that needs to be entered before you can even access the login screen. Then my normal login password. Then, depending on what you're trying to access, different sectors of my hard drive have different passwords that you need to enter before gaining access to the files and information within.

I'm paranoid >_>

Still though, no one should EVER access someone else's private information. Even if it's something as basic as facebook, I still view it on par with someone accessing your bank information, because there can still be a lot of very sensitive information on in that account that you can't risk other people getting a hold of.

I think you need to sit that man down and have a little chat about boundaries with him.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:32 pm
Hey Alcy, you ever think of adding a DNA or retina scan on top of your password protection? ^_^  

Arcanas

Hunter

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 pm
I'd like one of those laptops with the thumb print thing. 83

@Xik: D8 I'm not sure what to think. Just protect yourself and your accounts.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:41 pm
I used to know someone who would do stuff like that to her "friends" when she was on outs with them. It got to be creepy. She's not a friend anymore, obviously. I just can't trust someone who would steal another person's identity to spy on them.

I like to use a mix of passwords to keep myself safe...although I am pretty sure no one is trying to hack me at this point. XD  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:52 pm
The only reason I even left it open because it's my house! Things are supposed to be sacred. I know better now, I won't be doing that when I'm living with my friends in the house we're about to move into. I trust them and all, but if I can't even trust my dad who can I trust?  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:01 pm
Arcanas
Hey Alcy, you ever think of adding a DNA or retina scan on top of your password protection? ^_^

The day they release a program to use your webcam as a retinal scanner, I'm getting it. I've also considered getting a biometric scanner, but they cost more than I'm willing to pay. I'd also like to try and find some software to make it so the computer has to recognize my voice to be able to log in.

I'm VERY private about the information stored upon my computer  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:10 pm
And the plot thickens...grr, so livid! scream  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:17 pm
Have the balls to let your parents see all of your facebook, or don't friend them initially.

Really to leave someone out of 90% of your status is really bullshit anyway.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Saverio C.
Have the balls to let your parents see all of your facebook, or don't friend them initially.

Really to leave someone out of 90% of your status is really bullshit anyway.

I accidentally added my dad the first time when he requested me (meant to hit reject) and he likes to nit pick on everything. I don't really post anything I want to hide, it's just annoying having a parent that goes off the handle for something simple like "Need $$", yeah happened to my sister, and it lead to him saying she would become a prostitute get 'said' money. I just left him on the list before to avoid the stupid drama of him being all butthurt about me deleting him. I really don't have anything to hide, just don't need my dad using the excuse that facebook is eliminating the communication between us, when I purposely don't use facebook to talk to him and cal or drive home to do so instead. I freaking drove from my school to have a conversation with him that I could've easily had over the phone.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 pm
Jaft

... You do realise that the thumb print thing is really really easy to defeat, right?

I've never had to hide stuff from my parents, but my parents are also not psychotic, delusional, or psychopathic. Anything I would not want my mother to see is something I would also not want the rest of my friends to see and is therefore never posted on Facebook.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

umi505

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:47 pm
I guess I could say I'm pretty thankful my parents are very "I don't want to know about your personal life". They respect my privacy and I respect theirs. My dad has a facebook and told me he doesn't want to be my friend on it lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:14 pm
My mom isn't really tech savvy, but for the most part, the family that I DO have on my facebook are pretty cool about the whole respect deal.  

Arcanas

Hunter

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:59 pm
Kalstolyn
Jaft

... You do realise that the thumb print thing is really really easy to defeat, right?

You realize it's still awesome? And the laptop should speak and say, "Scanning... Scanning... Welcome back, [insert name]." biggrin  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff