Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
"Education" is meaningless...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fa
  Q
View Results

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:32 am
I judge people not on the amount of pieces of paper they have shoved up their a**, but the results they can produce out their a** with or without pieces of paper to wipe it up.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:49 am
As a student myself, I'll say education has some purpose. The paper itself is pretty meaningless, as you will still need to work your way up a ladder, but experiences in university have really helped shape who I am.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

Den Dristige Djevelen

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 am
~*~

People like you are part of the reason the education system is going to s**t.

The only way someone can produce good results is by learning how to go about the procedure in the first place. Education is not purely filling out worksheets and writing papers all day. Immersion is part of it too. Even more, education is what taught you to read and write so you could spout your bullshit in the first place. Put your education to better use and think about what you're going to babble about before you make a fool of yourself.

I'm willing to bet you spend your days looking down on people who no longer have the same opportunities to be as smart as you are. Wonder why that is.

~*~

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 am
And when somebody has your chest cavity splayed open on a table... do you care if he's been educated? Or is it okay for your drinking buddy to do it?

Anyway, I'm gonna guess you're in middle or high school and your grades are really crappy, yes? Ten years from now, when the system has broken you properly, you'll wish you'd felt differently today.  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:02 am
Yeah. The paper itself is meaningless, but it does represent hours of work, studying, and dedication. In many cases, it shows that they have taken and learned the material to do their job (since you have to get a certain grade for the credits that are specific to your major to count. I know I have to get at least a C in all my major-specific classes for them to go towards my major. Otherwise, I have to retake it. I'm assuming the more expensive and well-known colleges might have a higher standard).

A formal education doesn't teach everyone everything they need to know for their job. I know mine doesn't teach exactly what I need to be an editor or writer since I have stupid literature classes and crappy s**t I hate, but it doesn't allow me to better grasp grammar, writing good essays/stories from topics other people do (as clients might), and other crap that my work will relay on. While I could teach myself that as well, I wouldn't then benefit from having someone else there that could correct me or show me what I should be doing. I wouldn't have that motivation to do things in a timely manner. A LOT of people put off things if they don't have to do them, so they end up learning at a slower pace.

To me, an degree is just like the piece of paper of people's work in their portfolios who have no degree. It will just be another thing that shows my ability just like a photographer's photograph can only represent all the time they put in setting up the shoot, taking the pictures, pick the pictures, and etc. My degree will and should never make someone perfectly confident in my abilities alone, but it should make them at least comfortable that I have the basics.

I don't know. I don't think a formal education is needed in all jobs (especially jobs that are pretty much based on only your portfolio and the interviewer rarely even ask if you have a degree like photography or web design), but it helps and it's a good thing in most jobs.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 am
The paper is how you get your foot in the door when applying for jobs, which I presume you've never had to do yet.

In the IT support jobs I apply for literally thousands of other people will apply, the first thing they'll check is your qualifications and if you don't meet their standard or if lots of people have more or better bits of paper than you, they won't even read the rest of your resumé.

If you want to work in retail then your qualifications don't really matter. Those type of jobs are all about your past experience and how much you can big up your customer service and teamwork skills.  

scrub
Crew

Helpful Cait Sith

Tricky Informer

7,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Informer 100
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm
Even in retail and fast food, you have to go to a community college and take management classes before they'll promote you. So you're really screwed no matter where you go unless you're willing to study for it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:09 pm
You judge people by their crap? o_O
ARE YOU SECRETLY A DOG??  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:04 pm
Education is VERY important, formal education not so much, some of the greatest minds in history had little too no formal educations, but that had a degree of knowledge that came from some kind of learning.

I love learning as cheesy and nerdy as that sounds, if there was a way from me just to go to school for the rest of my life i would do it and i would be so happy.

Knowledge, learning and higher thinking are what make the difference between humans and animals.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm
Funny, I listened to a similar rant the other day as a student threw a temper tantrum because we wouldn't accept his final project a week late (you know after the semester had ended).  

iceryu66

Aged Hunter

6,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

wo_nyrmo

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:42 pm
I'm gonna assume your talking more advanced education instead of basic...
So with that, it is just like Scrubs said: "The paper is how you get your foot in the door" the rest of the work is all based on you.

I also agree with what Dris is saying about the whole "People like you are part of the reason the education system is going to s**t."

I mean really we shouldn't have some sorta situation where advanced education is = to basic education yet that is currently how things economically. At that some placed would rather hire the less experenced person even though the other is way better qualified.

But still theres no real reason to bash against education as a whole. To me it sounds more like your hating against common smarts and not book/advanced education smarts.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:12 pm
poo? u a chimp or butt pirate?  

Fashionably Late Bloomer

Moonlight Nerd

22,200 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:36 am
I am an education major who dabbles a bit in philosophy, so I think that education is very important and has a place in anything. Like everything, education systems do need improvement. They will never be perfect, and there will always be someone who is not completely satisfied, but I think that that is what makes education so much fun -- the knowledge that things can be improved and the desire to make those improvements.  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:43 am
Why does education have to be just about getting a piece of paper? I'm doing a degree at the moment and am lucky to be working in my chosen field.

Every day i go to work i learn something new. Everyday. I have to, otherwise i'd never be able to do new or harder jobs. In fact, my employer make sure i'm learning and making sure i ask questions about everything. In fact i think i'm learning more from the experience than from studying for the degree.

Is this not education?

Even employees in retail have to learn something to be able to do their jobs, even if it is just good customer service. We really would be no where without education or learning.

you can't produce anything without learning how to do it first...  

o0Lainy0o

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff