Reply Passport Japan日本のパスポート
Language Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marshmallow Etoile

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:10 pm
I've come to visit this guild in hopes that you can answer a question about the Japanese language that has been bothering me.

What does "wakenai kedo" mean?

I know it's some sort of negative verb with a modifier(?) attached at the end, but for the life of me I cannot find its meaning!

Plz halp. D:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:08 am
It kinda means..."there is no reason, but..."
It's kinda of like an expression...

Reason: keto = (but; however; although)
wakenai = (no reason)

By the way, I don't know how accurate I am... 75%?  

UnknownPlatinum

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Chisein

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm
Marshmallow Etoile
I've come to visit this guild in hopes that you can answer a question about the Japanese language that has been bothering me.

What does "wakenai kedo" mean?

I know it's some sort of negative verb with a modifier(?) attached at the end, but for the life of me I cannot find its meaning!

Plz halp. D:

It laterally means:

"Doesn't separate/divide, but" [and then there would usually be a second part, not necessarily explaining why it "doesn't separate" added]

Wakeru/分ける= to separate, divide
wakenai/分けない=[negative form]
kedo/けど=sentence connector meaning 'but' or 'and'  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:06 pm
Do you guys know what "Aishiteru" means? I heard that it means "I love you"  

Minoog

Chisein

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:48 am
Rosario_Moka135
Do you guys know what "Aishiteru" means? I heard that it means "I love you"

Yes is means I love you!  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:52 pm
That's very helpful, thank you. 3nodding

So, for example, if I said "shinu wakenai kedo," it'd mean something along the lines of "there's no reason to die, but..."?

Marshmallow Etoile

Chisein

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 am
Marshmallow Etoile

So, for example, if I said "shinu wakenai kedo," it'd mean something along the lines of "there's no reason to die, but..."?

That sentence has the right words to means what you said but it seems to be missing "de wa/Ja".

"Shinu wake de wa nai kedo."=But It doesn't necessarily mean that [you're] going to die.

Now "wake nai" would mean "the [action] is easy/simple"

shinu wake nai kedo= But it's easy to die.

And "Shinu wakenai kedo" would mean: Die dosn't separate, but..." It doesn't make much sense because it's an incorrect sentence.

On top of that "Kedo", could mean in English, the beginning or the End "but" in Japanese.

Japanese is a very difficult and complex language. Not one sentence can mean exactly as it reads. Especially if the topic is not stated. You'll find that the more you study Japanese the more little "Shadow's" and "crevices" you'll find in the language with hidden meanings and simple miss placement of a particle will mean something different.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 pm
Chisein
Marshmallow Etoile

That sentence has the right words to means what you said but it seems to be missing "de wa/Ja".

"Shinu wake de wa nai kedo."=But It doesn't necessarily mean that [you're] going to die.

Now "wake nai" would mean "the [action] is easy/simple"

shinu wake nai kedo= But it's easy to die.

And "Shinu wakenai kedo" would mean: Die dosn't separate, but..." It doesn't make much sense because it's an incorrect sentence.

On top of that "Kedo", could mean in English, the beginning or the End "but" in Japanese.

Japanese is a very difficult and complex language. Not one sentence can mean exactly as it reads. Especially if the topic is not stated. You'll find that the more you study Japanese the more little "Shadow's" and "crevices" you'll find in the language with hidden meanings and simple miss placement of a particle will mean something different.

Thank you!

Despite the sentence being incorrect, I think I know now what it was supposed to mean judging by the situation I heard it used in.

Again, thank you very much. smile

Marshmallow Etoile

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces